Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / about the source code...

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2005 22:34
ok...im a little confused about the release of the source code.

when they release it, are we going to be able to recompile and actually use it for our fpsc built games? or just make a dbpro game for it?

is the game engine named "FPSC-Game"? or is that something else?

I am really BULLSHOCK, but my profile got deleted...really, i'm telling the truth!
Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2005 23:56
Its the executable that run the game, that are made whit DBPro.
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 01:01 Edited at: 4th Oct 2005 01:01
yeah, i dont know. Do when we build a game, the source is included in the export or it's the game engine?

=-{SKaleX}-= Current Projects: -Insane Killer-=-Chaos Zone-
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 01:32
FPS Creator itself will not export any code at all. What happens is there is a single game engine EXE (FPS-Game). This reads in the various script files, models, maps, etc and from that your game executes. This "game engine" is exactly the same no matter how your FPSC game was built, what I mean is - you could make 100 different games today with FPSC, put them all on CDs and each one would have an identical EXE that runs them all, even though they all look totally different.

It is this EXE that holds all the controls for map loading, lights, collision, physics, etc etc. It is this exe we're releasing the source code for. You will need the full version of DBPro to modify and compile it. It will not compile with the trial version.

Cheers,

Rich

People don't quit playing because they grow old.
They grow old because they quit playing.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 02:02
Uhhhh....

I may not be good in school, may not hae had a girl for a while, ma not had a social life in years, BUT I"M STILL THE ONLY ONE IN SCHOOL WHO KNOWS HOW TO MAKE GAMES!!!

Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 02:41
when does it come out??

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI RADEON™ 9550 256MB DDR(<<soon ), 80GB Hard Drive
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 02:46
It will be announced on this forum when it's out.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 03:21
thank you...that is the exact answer i was looking for.

so that means, we can modify and compile it. then replace it in the FPSC root directory, then build our level and have our changes in our game.

thanks so much!!!! this is going to help EVERBODY out. even those without dbpro because there wil more than likely be distributions of it out there.

I am really BULLSHOCK, but my profile got deleted...really, i'm telling the truth!
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 04:17 Edited at: 4th Oct 2005 04:19
Quote: "this is going to help EVERBODY out"

not everybody...

hmm, it's perfect. this can qualify FPSC games for solid 40$ Games avaible in stores. If you dont modify too much, 9$ would be good..

=-{SKaleX}-= Current Projects: -Insane Killer-=-Chaos Zone-
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 09:58
Quote: "so that means, we can modify and compile it. then replace it in the FPSC root directory, then build our level and have our changes in our game."

Yes, you can do exactly that.

There are other possibilities too - for example you could create a new particle entity, which the modified game exe then handles.

There's no getting away from it - the game engine source is very large and quite complex. Don't expect a line-by-line break down or anything But if you're a competent programmer it's an option certainly. And yes people could then share their modified exes with the rest of the community.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 17:14
cool...so thats why all the dbpro'ers bought fpsc recently...one last question since im getting all the answers...actually 2 more...

1)are there rems in the source? or is one large mass of code?

2)what are the limitations on selling the modified product?

thanks again for clearing that up!

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 17:50
You can get the latest version of DB Pro from here with the FPS Creator source code http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=62126&b=15.

One thing to remember - at the moment the upgrade is in beta form and there may be a few issues we need to resolve. If you prefer then wait a few days until we release the final upgrade. However, the contents of the FPS Creator source will not change when the upgrade is made final.

There are some comments in the source but you are pretty much on your own with it. With some time studying the source you can soon start putting things together and finding out what is going on.

The limitations are - you cannot make a game creation or level editor with the source and you cannot make a game engine with it for the purpose of selling it as an engine.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 18:20
Quote: "contents of the FPS Creator source will not change when the upgrade is made final"

I would be a little concerned if that DID change...

Thanks Mike! Beam Generator here I come!

-This...is my boomstick!
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 18:39
YAY!!!

cellbloc...wanna form a partnership? we could change it together...

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 19:30 Edited at: 4th Oct 2005 19:37
There you go with that "We" thing again...

Just how much time do you have working with DBP?

-This...is my boomstick!
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 20:10
how much experiance? or time to work on it?

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 20:23
Your question was a Valid answer.

How long have you been programming with the Dark Basic Pro language?

-This...is my boomstick!
Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 20:25
Wowww.
Very Great News, Thanks Mike
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 21:59
oh...about umm...8 months...but i learn very quickly and i am hoping to learn from a parter ship...

its ok if your looking for someone with more experiance...i understand...

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 22:03
@BULLSHOCK 2:

Depends. Take the FPSC Source Code and make a 3D spinning box (not a Animated GIF, but a model) in the bottom right corner when the menu is shown. Do that and I will think more of your suggestion.

What I do not want is a person with ideas. I could give a crap less what you think would be cool, but a person who can take their ideas AND code it is another person altogether.

-This...is my boomstick!
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 22:40
ok...that sounds simple...i have to get 5.9 and everything workng and i have to get the enhancements pack...i will tell you when i am finished.

Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
"It is this EXE that holds all the controls for map loading, lights, collision, physics, etc etc. It is this exe we're releasing..."

...Please forgive my cussing, but HOLY F&#@ you guys are cool!

There it's out of my system.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2005 13:07 Edited at: 6th Oct 2005 13:10
The code is very readable, if you are just looking for specifics. For example, I now know how the object masses are calculated, and friction (althoigh it's now commented out and has been moved to the editor). I can see how objects find the ground when the game starts...and I know the fpe file password!

But to fully understand exactly how everything ticks will take some time. It will take more than DB Pro experience to get to grips with it, you need to be more than a reasonably competent programmer.

It's very well compartmentalised, which will make minor modifications easy to implement. You could very easily pick an FPSC concept, find the function or subroutine, and get started.

By the way... it's about a 3 minute compile on an AMD 3000+

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-25 06:56:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-25 06:56:28