Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / My WIP Single-Player RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 07:59 Edited at: 15th Dec 2005 08:01

Horray magic

I've started up my RPG project again in the past few days, after losing most of the old source. One of the reasons I'm making this thread is that alongside my main RPG build, I had a demo I was working on for DavidT to help showcase Unity, which I also lost; I'm building Unity into the new system as well, however, and hopefuly it'll (eventually?) help show off how powerful Unity is.

This is a pet project I'm working on in my free time, so I don't have a company name or a development team or a massive photoshopped logo. Neither do I have much in the way of artistic skills myself, so the majority of the media in my screenshots is A) freeware or B) ripped from games, although I'm switching to 100% freeware/custom media.

I had a solid design document laid out for my last, ill-fated project; I'm mostly sticking with that for the new one, but a few aspects might change.

Okay, time for some screenshots...

The old engine

Was something like this
Old level editor

The new engine

Is something like this

Level design...

Guildhall
Town
Underground city
Underground fortress

Infinite land + foliage system (never integrated)

Desert and water
Oregon
More desert
And more desert
A forest

Special effects

Plugging in bloom effects (EVOLVED's shader work I think)
Rainy
Water ripples
More water

More details on the game: As currently planned, it's a single-player RPG, along the lines of Morrowind, Gothic and Arx Fatalis, with a free, open world, but a linear main storyline with memorable characters and a distinct ending.

Every NPC will have a unique personality, with their own dialogue, memory, schedules, et cetera. Independant NPC AI will be integrated with a guild/reputation and legal system. Every type of creature in the game will also have a distinct personality, and will not fight or react to the player in the same way. All of this will be powered by lua scripts.

There will be multiple forms of gameplay to pursue through the open-ended character creation system. The gameplay dynamics are being designed with balance in mind, so no kind of character would have a distinct advantage.

Most of this, of course, is right now just ideas, but I feel that I have enough to start a WIP. I don't know how much time I'll have to dedicate to this, however. It might be ready for release in a year or it might never be finished.

Feedback on the screenshots here and the ones I will post below would be greatly appreciated.

gamesmad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 08:45
That really good Ian, I like the water effects a lot Keep up the good work, I will be happy to help with modelling or beta testing if you like

Will

Team leader of Games Mad! and 3D designer, modeller and animator for Cyrain Studios.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 09:23
SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 09:34
Looking good! Keep banging at it, can't wait to play.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 09:40
The improvements from the old to the new version look really good. Can't wait to see the finished product or a demo!

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 13:23
I like your infinite land and foliage system screenies - quite impressive feeling of scale, especially the desert screenies. Your old editor also looks nice - I'm no good at making tools, so anything's better than nothing

Good luck.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 15:46
Awsome rain effects. Great progress.

The cat era has begun.
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 17:39
can i test it it's to good for me any mods to make this sticky?

Experienced DB http://www.greatgames3d.com (work in progress site)
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 17:54
If you dont give me a demo by next week I'll go berserk on you with a simitar.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 21:02
It's teh sexy!

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
nice job.. really! but the FPS is kinda low in some places.. =/

BlueLightOnline Coming Soon. (95%)
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
looks good dude keep working on this.

The admiral
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 00:24 Edited at: 16th Dec 2005 00:25
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words, and taking the time to look

Quote: "If you dont give me a demo by next week I'll go berserk on you with a simitar."

Nothing nearly that soon I'm afraid!

Quote: "but the FPS is kinda low in some places.. =/"

Yeah, very true. Some of the landscape shots where I have the view distance turned all the way up are pushing a whole lot of polygons at 1024x768x32 and that's quite a strain on my low-end video card. Any demo I release will have full configuration for screen resolution, special effects, et cetera.

Some of what I've been working on today...

Particles

3d inventory

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 02:01
You need an image for that inventory or else it looks like you put a grid on top of some objects
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 04:59
Wow Ian, this is looking simply stunning. Screenshots are looking fantastic and are screaming of quality. Can't wait to see more of this project. Might get me to take a closer look at Unity as well.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 15:18
Great graphs!

And I like the fact that there are alot of screenshots. I'll come visit this every time I come on the forum.

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 15:36 Edited at: 16th Dec 2005 15:41
Wow, Mister T that's awesome! Seems very great. I wonder how things go when the player approach terrain's limits. (or it isn't terrain?)

I like your models too. I just suggest 2d images for inventory. I'll keep an eye on this promising project!

[edit] hmm, just read you've called it 'infinite land'. How does it works?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 17:20 Edited at: 16th Dec 2005 17:22
Quote: "You need an image for that inventory or else it looks like you put a grid on top of some objects "

Yeah, it looks pretty crappy right now . But I'm putting off GUI and other post production stuff for when the time is right.

Mike-> Thanks man !

Sven, French GUI-> Appreciate it

Quote: "[edit] hmm, just read you've called it 'infinite land'. How does it works?"

My previous method, the one you see in those landscape screenshots, was to create a massive, seamless landscape out of nine advanced terrains and one large heightmap (1536x1536 if I remember correctly). I would then hide the terrains that weren't in use, and I was working on manually hiding terrain limbs that weren't in the camera view (ala the Update Terrain command, which didn't work for my program).

That had a lot of glitches however. For one thing, a goal of mine from the start was to get larger, non-seamless landscapes working by loading up small parts around the player as he walks around the world, and discarding the ones he left behind. However, Advanced Terrain always crashed when I deleted a terrain. Not good. Also, the Advanced Terrains had seams at the borders.

The new terrain system I've been working on I'm quite happy with. It uses a large grid of objects - 288 of them, in fact - which comprise the gameworld. The fact that they're external .x objects means that A) I can align their vertices to get rid of the seams, B) I can carve holes in them for caves, tweak them for roads and rivers, et cetera, and C) I can lightmap them. Oh, also D), I can go the route of a single large texture map and a detail map, or I can manually texture them up-close.

It seems to me to be the best of both worlds - pre-generated worlds, and a dynamic terrain engine. I've only got a very primitive version of the test engine running right now, but the pauses when it discards old and loads new terrain blocks are miniscule. Throw in objects, scripts, et cetera and there will definatly be pauses when walking around in the outdoors, but hopefuly only small ones. And few and far between, because each individual terrain chunk takes minutes to walk across. The gameworld itself is absolutely vast, Morrowind-scale vast, and I think I might set my game on only a small part of it .

French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 20:36
Very interresting... I wonder too about the shader you use for glow effect. From the shader thread, I've learn you need another camera to achieve it. On your screenshots, there's 2 (or more...) glowing objects, so there's 2+ additional cameras (to image)? With all your objects in view don't you get low fps?

Anyways, thanx for your infos.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 23:40
Yeah, I really need the glow effect. How'd you do it? My MSN is kronosdarkbasic@hotmail.com . My e-mail is rpgmakerx2@hotmail.com .

I'll add you and we can talk about it if your not too busy
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 00:07 Edited at: 17th Dec 2005 00:08

That's just two terrain tiles, with detail mapping which I just now sorted out . Hopefuly it gives something of a sense of scale of the world.

Here's a comparisin of a detail mapped and non detail mapped tile.

Quote: "Very interresting... I wonder too about the shader you use for glow effect. From the shader thread, I've learn you need another camera to achieve it. On your screenshots, there's 2 (or more...) glowing objects, so there's 2+ additional cameras (to image)? With all your objects in view don't you get low fps?"

Four cameras, one for each pass I think... It could probably work with just three. It's a fullscreen effect, not one camera per object; it just looks like it's only applied to those two objects because they're the only ones bright enough in the scene to have the bloom effect applied to them. I don't fully understand the mechanics of the actual shader files, as I mentioned, I nabbed them from EVOLVED.

Xenocythe, I'll add you

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
@Xenocythe: you dont want to know how to make the glow effect properly.. its hard stuff.. cuz once u load that glow effect, it will glow up all of your game, and the game will look sux.. thats why u must make 2 syncs in one loop.. and its much harder work

BlueLightOnline Coming Soon. (95%)
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 15:48
I do want to know, how ever many lines of code r months it takes, I'm gonna learn ALL about shaders
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 21:47 Edited at: 18th Dec 2005 14:38
if u really want to learn all about shadders, u can start reading The Ultimate Shader Thread 2.0

Dark Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 00:39
With the normal DarkBasic Pro matrix commands can you make terrains that good, thats with no plugins?
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 01:52
http://www.lanejump.com/hosting/iant/burnhouseburn.JPG

Some more progress on particles. I'm pretty happy with the fire effect for now. They fade and scale dynamically, and can last set lengths, or forever. You can also start particle effects from lua.

Some other landscape/bloom shots -

http://www.lanejump.com/hosting/iant/pretty_mountains.jpg
http://www.lanejump.com/hosting/iant/wld.jpg
http://www.lanejump.com/hosting/iant/island.JPG

Quote: "With the normal DarkBasic Pro matrix commands can you make terrains that good"

Hell no ! Some people find the matrix commands useful and I've seen some fairly pretty examples made with them. Obviously they serve a purpose for quick landscapes when appearance isn't important. But personally I think they're pretty useless. Along with being limited in use and slow to update, they render at a horribly slow speed compared to other objects. At least they did last I checked. Read up for information on how I made the terrains in the shots.

Dark Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 06:17
Did you use Geoscape or something to make the terrains?
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 12:47
Those screens look amazing, and it's nice to see Unity coming in so useful

Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 14:12
Sound quite good & really love the way you're developing it.
Pictures are excellents...

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
wow.. 11FPS

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 23:43
Quote: "Did you use Geoscape or something to make the terrains?"

No, they were generated from code; the texture maps I made in Texture Maker.

Quote: "Those screens look amazing, and it's nice to see Unity coming in so useful "

Cheers! Nothing really showing off Unity's capabilities yet, but once I've got a more robust (and less buggy ) AI system worked up, that'll change.

Quote: "Sound quite good & really love the way you're developing it."

Thank you!

Quote: "wow.. 11FPS "

Yeah. The bottleneck there is actually my 1.2ghz Duron processor, something of an antique these days, but evne on it I'd want better speed. Lua isn't a factor - the collision code is what's causing the program to be so CPU-intensive. All the intersect object commands on a single massive .x object consisting of my map is probably the worst combination I could possibly have. I'll be using an external physics system for collision eventually, never mind level of detail and possibly an octree system, so don't think this is an indicator of how fast the game will perform .

And the latest screen: http://www.lanejump.com/hosting/iant/chimney.JPG

It's not easy to tell in a static screenshot but the smoke is blowing in the wind, and the rain moves with it too, a little bit.

Lots of stuff on the to-do list right now - work on AI, optimise the particle system, etc. I doubt there'll be any more visual progress until late tommorow at the soonest but we'll see

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 02:04
Meow!
2 paws up!

The cat era has begun.
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
very impressive!

- Do it, Do it Right, Do it right now..
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 19:48
Thanks

Something new:

Not an impressive screenshot, but it makes me quite happy as it proves several theories/hopes of mine:

I can load lightmapped scenes in from gile[s] peacemeal.

This means that objects out of the camera and out of view range are actually not rendered, which is obviously a vast increase in FPS in this new scene from the old one. I knew I'd have to get this working one way or the other, but it was easier than I thought

I can detail and light map a single object (the terrain, in the shot).

Best news of all, for me - I can cut out parts of terrain objects to lightmap them and integrate them seamlessly with the terrain I snipped them from. In the island scene I'm working on now, for example, the center of the island where all of the houses are uses a 1024x1024 lightmap due to the high detail of that part of the scene, but the rest of the island - about 4x as much space - only uses a 256x256 map as there is no need for precise lightmapping on it.

This makes integrating lightmapped scenes and my aforementioned terrain system a lot more plausible.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 20:05 Edited at: 19th Dec 2005 20:05
Niceness

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Dark Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 03:28 Edited at: 20th Dec 2005 03:29
Looks good, keep it up
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 04:02
Gosh, I wish I could work with particle, I dont get them one bit. Yet another reason to go talk to Ian on MSN!!!

GREAT progress!!!1one11!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 04:06
ahh the edge of the world

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 05:08
Heh thanks as always

Newest level is coming together now. I'm putting more work into this one as I'd like to keep working with it until I switch fully to the dynamic terrain system. It'd make a nice tech demo, I think.

SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 08:41
Looking really good IanT, quality work

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 10:51 Edited at: 20th Dec 2005 13:06
I know mega's free rpg models are empty on the inside, with no floor. have you put anything in there yet?

If this 2nd go at your project starts to dwindle again? Come see me Ian, maybe we can combine projects.

This forum needs more active rpg projects or at least 1 completed one!

- Do it, Do it Right, Do it right now..
Dark Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 11:26
Looks great , when is the demo coming out?
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 15:03
Great artwork!
I really hope the gameplay will be as good as the graphics.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 21:05
Quote: "I know mega's free rpg models are empty on the inside, with no floor. have you put anything in there yet?"

Not yet. I will, but it won't be the same level of quality as Mega's meshes. Media is going to be very... patchwork... until I get an artist onboard.

Quote: "when is the demo coming out?"

No ETA.

Quote: "Great artwork!
I really hope the gameplay will be as good as the graphics."

Thanks! Me too

I've been working on the AI and gameplay mechanics aspect of the game lately and sadly that means there are no graphical improvements to show you. I'm also switching to Sparky's collision DLL, which is a lot faster. I'll post some gameplay details soon

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 21:07
Erm...just a note, the models weren't meant to have an interior, and the only reason you see walls there is because I forgot to delete backfaces.

Sorry.

The cat era has begun.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 21:16
Quote: "Erm...just a note, the models weren't meant to have an interior, and the only reason you see walls there is because I forgot to delete backfaces. "

Yeah, that's obvious from the fact that 3/4 of the backfaces are missing and the others aren't - it's cool, I'll just work around the leftover bits.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 22:25
erm.. Ian... When will you be on MSN? This game looks so great, I really want to talk about it
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 22:40
I'm on MSN right now...

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 00:28
Dude, I think you have the wrong e-mail. It's kronosdarkbasic@hotmail.com ...
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 02:50
This looks to be coming on very nicely indeed, well done! I like the detail you are going in to with lighting and and general effects - the little details can really help the atmosphere on a game such as this

Preorder EA here:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67575&b=8&p=0
+ Model Pro out now in Program Announcements!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 12:58:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 12:58:24