Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / evolution - video & screens

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 03:25 Edited at: 4th Feb 2006 09:00
Incase you havent figured it out, this is Zealous (finally remembered what email I used for Zeal). Ive been playing around with windows movie maker, and compiled a video montage of some of the projects I have made over the last few years. Also included is a glimpse of the new 'engine' im working on.

Extra special thanks to Ninja Matt (I am bumming some of his textures), and Catalyst (tangents got wtfpwned!).

Hope it inspires you!

DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO FROM FILE FRONT (22mb)

http://files.filefront.com/evolutionwmv/;4719367;;/fileinfo.html

MIRROR (Thanks Lost In Thought!)

http://www.mapmasterz.com/lit/evolution.wmv

All you need is zeal
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 03:27
Looks great! Downloading now

formerly KrazyJimmy
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 03:43
hey cool! I'm in ur credits!!! Why?... Lol... (Not that I mind at all, glad to help)... Cant quite put my finger on any specific occasions.

Nice demo vid though! Evolution "engine" looks interesting. When that cube us in the water, does it cause ripples?

Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 03:47 Edited at: 4th Feb 2006 03:50
Quote: "hey cool! I'm in ur credits!!! Why?... "

Hehe everytime somebody answered a question of mine I recorded their name (or at least tryed to). If I recall you gave me some advice on framerate independent 'mouse look'. Although, I have since gone for a completely fixed time step system (separating logic from rendering), but I still appreciated your help!

Im sure I forgot to mention some people, thats why I thank the entire community too!

* No ripples in the water yet, hope to implement it though

All you need is zeal
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 05:27
I'll download and look at it when I get home. I should be able to mirror it then as well.

Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 05:45
HA! Exceptional work there! Im so interested to look further into this new engine your creating, the graphic capabilities v.s. loading times look amazing . You put together quite a video there!

If I may ask, what was that first person RPG looking game where the guy was shooting arrows or something at the green thing with big eyes? Its around the 55 second mark. Id like to try this game out .

Again excellent work, I'm sure many people will express my same feelings about this video. It's a keeper ;D

formerly KrazyJimmy
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 06:09
Thanks for the kind words

The game youre talking about was 'zealous slayer' (the first 3d game I ever made a few years back). Thats actually a sword youre shooting, but the camera never turns so you can see the blade. I plan to release that (along with the other games) when I get my website up and running.

Could be awhile though, I need to take a break ehe

All you need is zeal
Catalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
So...that terrain and sky setup...wow. How well does that run? That look really good. Could you make a executable demo by any chance? I'd love to see that actually running on my system, see what kind of framerates I get. So glad I could be of help on this. No loading times, eh? Great work!
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 08:29
Runs at about 50fps on my machine (AMD 2ghz with a Radeon 9800 pro), however the recording process brought things down to like 20. Obviously the framerate is going to drop when I start to populate the world with objects, but I have some clever tricks in mind, just waiting to see what U6 brings.

A demo is on my to do list but wont happen for awhile. My next goal is to get a webpage setup. Im also strongly considering migrating to DarkSDK.

All you need is zeal
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 08:59
Looking great. Hopefully we will be able to get culling to work properly in the next DBP upgrade.

And your mirror:

http://www.mapmasterz.com/lit/evolution.wmv

Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 09:11
Quote: "Hopefully we will be able to get culling to work properly in the next DBP upgrade."

Who said anything about culling not working? Your frustum culling works great for me at least (culls the entire terrain in less than 1ms). I am however waiting for other things (make memblock from image, and a few other bugs). Looking forward to portals too...

Im also curious to see what kind of love limbs will get. Like you mentioned in a bug report, theres a nasty performace hit even when limbs are hidden. I reported a memory leak some time ago in regards to limb deletion. And adding limbs causes the entire object to be reconstructed. All these problems aside, limbs are still the way to go (my entire terrain is made up of only 3 objects, the individual chunks are all limbs).

Thanks again for the mirror!

All you need is zeal
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 10:02
Quote: "Like you mentioned in a bug report, theres a nasty performace hit even when limbs are hidden. "

That is what I was referring to about getting it to work. It should be alot faster once this is fixed

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 10:32 Edited at: 4th Feb 2006 10:32
Cool video!

I know the music from the start of the movie... That's music from World Of Warcraft! Sounds so nice

My mouth dropped to the floor when I saw videos of your "engine"! It looked too good!!! What did you made that "engine" in huh?

Great movie!

-The Nerd

Free Particle Engine for DarkBasic Pro:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=60141&b=5
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 13:17
Quote: "What did you made that "engine" in huh?"

DBP ...

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 17:42
Nice work Zealous - thanks for putting me in the credits, too! Love the water shader.

Zealous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2006 23:35 Edited at: 4th Feb 2006 23:48
Quote: "I know the music from the start of the movie... That's music from World Of Warcraft! "

Yup, all the music is from WoW actually (finally put that collector's edition to good use).

*edit Woah im posting from work, and it still has Zealous logged in ehe. Time to fix that...

All you need is zeal
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 12:06
Looking good! It's nice to see the new engine that you've been working on!

Tinnedhead Productions

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 13:04
Very pretty.

Mr Anderson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 19:11
That was very cool. The music really added to the mood.

That game with the sword, what's the story behind that one?

IDIC (Infinite Diversity Infinite Combinations)
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2006 11:02
Quote: "That game with the sword, what's the story behind that one?"

Not much of a story, but some interesting gameplay. You actually fling the sword by holding the left mouse button, and then it floats back to you when you let go. The whole 'effect' was never really intentional, but turns out its actually kinda fun (you can fling your shield in the same manner). As you saw in the video, you can also fly (at the expense of energy).

Was gonna wait for my website before I released those old games, but I might let em out a lil sooner

All you need is zeal
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2006 11:35
Well, I wanted to clean up some of my old games before I released them, but I cant even find the source for this one anymore (its ancient!). So here it is...

The critically acclaimed, Super Fun Happy Game

Download attached ----------------------------------------------->

All you need is zeal

Attachments

Login to view attachments
avenger 999
Years of Service
User Offline
wow the video was amazing! keep up the good work

im going to go play the super fun happy game now

batman: forgotten sins
http://go.hostlite.co.uk/fanfilms/forgotten/