Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Free NGC v4, CSM Importer, DBP U6 FPS Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 16:08 Edited at: 29th Apr 2009 02:20
[edit] This is back in the works. Finishing up the 3dw importer and I'm back on this shortly after to mesh it with this. 04-26-2009

I am working on a free engine. Use the code any way you wish. It is totally free as long as you own the tools (it comes with a precompile exe for testing if you do not):

NGC v4 $25
http://www.nuclearglory.com/products/ngc/

CSM Importer FREE
http://www.apexnow.co.uk/tools2.htm

Other used plugins
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85209&b=18 for acurate time testing (can be removed with no culling effects)

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67196&b=5 for actual culling

Currently working on: Adding 3DWS Support

What is so special about this free engine apart from the others made in DBP (if there are any)? It is totally portable. Every aspect of the engine can be changed from inside the level editor (CShop). All data is loaded from the map file for everything from walking sounds on different materials to the gun bob speed and scale. Almost every sound, image, and model can be changed from inside the map file.

All of the following is now working.

Sliding doors
Swinging doors
texture animated meshes w/file animations
texture animated meshes w/simple code animations
texture animated meshes w/ a sequence of files
ladders
elevators (sliding doors with angle of -1 or -2)
teleporter
supply packs
water
player start
illusion
keys
triggers
buttons
enemy start
shooting
jumping
FPS movement
Crouching
Bullet decals (you will want to make your own media)
Bullet Sparks (you will want to make your own media) bugged on supplys
Gun shot sounds
enemy hit sound
Sounds when walking
teleporter sounds
supply sounds
key sounds
Door sounds (made sound stop playing when door stopped)
button sounds
ladder sounds
drawning in water
Selectable lazer sight by Weapon entity
enemy hit blood splat
Set camera near and far range by player start
Walking sounds for animated objects
Walking sounds for doors (for use as elevators and bridges)
Skybox entity
Weapon entity (you can't shoot unless you have picked up a weapon)
Added per weapon gun shot sound
Simple weapon changing code
Basic sprite menu
gun bob
basic limb frustum culling system in
Water Splash when shot similar to sparks
optimized limb frustum culling somewhat will leave at this speed for now

All doors and buttons shootable if not set to a trigger (and if set to a key you have to have the key for doors). You can set doors, buttons, and teleporters to need keys to open.

On the todo list is:
Multi-texture Brush entity (can be used to make skys with clouds and simple code animation)
Add muzzle flash and shoot animation
Very Basic AI on the enemys
Add TEd level support
Add 3DWS level support
Add Dark Physics support

May not get done by 4.02 release but to do list:
Grenade bounce
Grenade explosion

Possibly may get done:
Simple caustics vertex animation

Screens of level by FXTC in engine:

http://mapmasterz.com/lit/ss1.jpg
http://mapmasterz.com/lit/ss2.jpg
http://mapmasterz.com/lit/ss3.jpg
http://mapmasterz.com/lit/ss4.jpg
http://mapmasterz.com/lit/ss5.jpg

New full version for faster culling and water splashes

Rar version (full download/ don't need others)
http://www.mapmasterz.com/lit/FreeEngine.rar

Zip version (full download/ don't need others)
http://www.mapmasterz.com/lit/FreeEngine.zip

Zip version of current source and map file for those who have all the media and tools to compile (very small download)
http://www.mapmasterz.com/lit/FreeEngineSource.zip

[edit] Slight upgrade to try and fix time syncing issue on some machines:

Source and New EXE:
http://mapmasterz.com/lit/FreeEngPub2.zip

Source only:
http://mapmasterz.com/lit/FreeEngPub2Source.zip

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 17:21
Sweet!

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 18:13
I remember some of them textures .This is looking realy cool.

Dave

Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 2,1AMD Athlon(tm)XP 3200+ Barton 2.20 GHz ,1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256MB DDR
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 18:22
Thx guys. Remember to read the readme and code header. The code is free, but don't use the media unless you have permission as some of it was donated for this.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi LiT, I guess this thread is becoming the official one for updates for your engine and so on, right?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 18:38
Correct. I made a post in the other thread. It may take me a couple of days to get this culling working properly with the engine and then I'll make my next upgrade post (Beta 7). I have the culling done and in I just need to speed it up (add some type of data tree/ bounding tree).

ThomasFN
Years of Service
User Offline
i got a directx 9.0c december 2005 or later needed msg and i have direct x 9.0c. Dunno about december tho. Can u stop the dx check?

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 22:23
no

Theme park simulator wip

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 01:41 Edited at: 12th Apr 2006 05:50
No silly, DBP U6 requires such. I use the feb 2006 runtimes. So I guess either the dec 2005 or feb 2006 will work.

[edit] I will post a DBPU5.9 version when I get the final version out if there is enough call for it. It will be a bit slower on code animations and a bit memory wastefull on the other animations though.

[edit2] The culling system has been made totally portable now. I should have it in the engine after I get off work tonight or tomorrow night (depending on how much beta testing I do).

[edit3] The culling system can be found here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67369&b=6

The sphere testing should be used for rotating limbs as the bounding boxes don't rotate with the limbs (I'll work on that later) and I would use box testing for all static limbs.

The sphere testing is the fastest testing, but the least efficient in most cases (extra polys drawn). The box testing is just as fast and efficient as the Update terrain function as you can see by the code. Though box and cube testing is slower than sphere, the programs generally run faster as there are less extra polys on screen. It can cull about 4096 limbs in 6ms here Thats a pretty good speed. I am going to add some sort of tree to bring it down to around 2-3ms which is where it needs to be.

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
bloodywell amazing,LiT. Love playing with the code near as much as the .exe

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 07:04 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 16:49
It may be another day before I get the culling system in. I'll try and squeeze it in tonight while my NGC tests run though. My backlog keeps growing and growing lol. Perhaps I should just stay in my cave for a couple of weeks and do nothing but this engine and NGC test. But Then I would have way too much to do when I got back.

[edit] Uploading the new engine with limb culling now. The fps go up to 100 in places if you compile in window mode. It is not optimized and the fps jumps up and down alot. I am still working on this. You can select the culling modes by the key 1-4. I would only use sphere for now as box and cube is too slow without optimizing. This is just hard limb by limb culling.

[edit2] Link to new version. Sorry it's another full download, I'm too sleepy to sort through it and see what is new and what is not.

[WARNING!!! Do not try to compile the code without renamming/ backing up the example.exe as I forgot to rename the compile exe name and it will be erased.]

See first post for latest download

I am also not exactly sure what I added in this version other than the culling. You can look at the readmes and entity files for most of it though and fall back on the code and opening the map in cshop. Most of this was done while very sleepy and doing other things, so something may not be perfect. Though it appears to all work.

[edit3] The no culling option (key 4) is broken lol. I just thought about it in my sleep The fix for those who can compile it is to find and replace this section of code:

I'll upload a new exe for those who can't when I wake up. Back to bed I go.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The fps go up to 100 in places if you compile in window mode"

Are you getting better results with your terrain example?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 22:19 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 16:50
Yeah for some reasone the culling works way faster on terrain objects. The culling is just as fast and accurate as update terrain on my system. 0_o I haven't pinpointed why yet. I can cull 4096 terrain limbs in 8-10 ms. It takes 26 ms to cull 984 limbs in the engine using the same exact code for box culling.

I'll have to come up with some type of tree data to optimize it for the engine.

[edit] I have to run to work. Upgrade with no culling fixed is uploading to

now. Fot those who have already downloaded B6 and haven't downloaded B7a yet you can just download this one as it has the files to upgrade B6 to B7a. And i forget yet again to change the exe compile name.

[edit2] Also from B7 up the engine will require the free plugin DKShop http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67196&b=5 As DBP doesn't give us access to the matrix4 data directly on it's on for the culling.

Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 15:10
Hi ,
Lost in Thought.

I am very interesting about .csm Apex Importer , I have purchased
3.2.5 Version for Csm importer.

Now I see in your map example , there is a 3.3.0v which imports and 3D world Studio maps with entities.

But in the apex web site there is not 3.3.0 Importer for purchase.

How can I upgrade from 3.2.5 to 3.3.0 and I am able to load
3D world Studio maps in DarkBASIC Pro?

Thank you very much.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 15:42
It doesn't work with 3dws maps yet. He added that when 3dws was first released but lack of an updated file format and other things happening in his time made it not possible. He may still make one if Josh ever starts maintaining the file format. Mine says 3.3.0 probably because I am testing a few fixs for him that may be in the next version. The version he emails you will work with this engine. First you need too install v3.2 and then 3.2.5

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 22:52
NGC beta testing is over and v4.02 should be out very soon. v4.02 is really fast and a number of issues have been fixed. I'll start back on this (culling) tonight

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 04:06
Culling is still put off while helping a few people resolve some things. I'll get back on this when I get time. I'll upload a NGC v4.02 and DBP U6.0 Final version tonight though.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 04:17
Greatness sometimes takes time... Looking forward to it!!

Come see the WIP!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 15:10 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 16:50
No real changes here, just bringing it up todate with all 3 new releases since the last version.

Requires a previous full download. This is a code and exe only update for DBP 6.0, NGC 4.02, and the new version of the CSM importer where the blending modes work (you can darken and lighten you levels). Too sleepy to wait up for a full upload version (will do when I can).

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 05:21
Still haven't had time to really start back on this. I'm about caught up unless something new comes up though

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 16:34 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 16:50
Finally got a little time for an update. Added faster culling (15-20 times faster here) and water splashes (needs better media).

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 16:31 Edited at: 5th Sep 2006 16:57
This is looking real smart L.I.T, real nice job mate

Paul.

[EDIT] Lost, I've noticed in the latest download that has the various culling options, the rotating platform and the elavator no longer seem to work. If I step onto the elvator, it used to rise, but it doesn't now. Also, pressing the button doesn't rotate the ramp above the water. Is this a recent breakage?

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 12:12 Edited at: 7th Sep 2006 12:16
There is a key in the water now that works the rotational door, elevator, and teleporter per request of people wanting to know how to set them. If you have the key and they still don't work then there is a problem.

[edit] Just downloaded and tested and it is all working here. Let me know if it is still broken there, I'll bet we can fix it if it is

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 13:47
Ok, I see Thanks L.I.T. Change in functionality I wasn't aware of.

Paul.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 14:06 Edited at: 7th Sep 2006 14:12
Yeah I am learning dark physics now to add support for it (thanks very much to BatVink ). Once I integrate it, I'll add a message or sound alert option so they can setup how they want to let people know it needs a key. After I finish a few more additions to the code, I'll start on a basic guide to it's features and how to set them up in CSHOP (and 3dws one day). Then I'll try and get someone to make a level showing it all off. If I can find a weapon with animation, I'll add animation support for firing and reloading as an option in place of the code animations now. But still leave them for non animated models.

I'll keep the NGC version as close to the DarkPhysX version as possible and update it as NGC is updated (which will be a little while as their focus is on NF and NB ATM ).

[edit] And then I am going into optimizing mode and speed up everything and make sure it uses a minimal amount of memory.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 14:12
aww.. im making onje too

FFXI <3
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 05:43
On no! The horrors! This engine updates everything at a rate of 10 FPS even though the game is running at 140 FPS!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 12:10 Edited at: 9th Sep 2006 12:12
? Can you explain what you mean? Everything should be time synced except the animations which I have set to 10fps from inside CShop. You can set them higher from the editor if you want to use more memory. I am keeping all the frames and media to a very minimum to keep the download size down.

[edit] Also remember it is open source so you can customize it the way you want.

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 21:00
I think it's because you're using DBPro's built-in timer variable which makes deltatime less and less accurate as your computer is left running longer. I believe that the DarkSide White Rabbit DLL and Newton's built-in elapsed time function both have accurate timing, even if you leave your computer running for long periods of time.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 22:03 Edited at: 9th Sep 2006 22:04
@FoxBlitzz : Try this minor update and see if it's better. It uses IanM's Hitimer set to a resolution of 10000. I use the timer function as it works pretty good on my machine for general timing, though you are getting higher frame rates than me.

Source and New EXE:
http://mapmasterz.com/lit/FreeEngPub2.zip

Source only:
http://mapmasterz.com/lit/FreeEngPub2Source.zip

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 23:39
Importer updated. Same link btw.

new function added 'CSM Ambient'

Paul.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2006 18:30 Edited at: 5th Nov 2006 23:12
Added new importer update to the engine and fixed a few bugs introduced. Added culling for enemy objects as DBP doesn't cull animated objects. Added more safeties and defaults for missing values in the map file. Added a simple gun kick animation.

Will upload when I get more done.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 05:44:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 05:44:44