Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Newton with new upgrade problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 17:11 Edited at: 5th Jul 2006 17:17
I think this has something to do with the new update (EDIT: 6.2b) as I tried re-downloading the DLL's and examples (1.32b). So please inform me if it's this upgrade or something else. My problem exist with the demos:

First (Basics) works fine.
Second (Collision Primitives) works, the information box just flashes
Third (Joints) Causes memory acces error (memory could not be read)
Fourth (Materials and Collision) doesnt seem to show anything
Fifth (FPS example) something seems to draw me to the center of the map - controls dont work.
Anyway, you get the idea...

The joints example would be usefull to me, does it just require some fine tuning? Yes, I noticed Floor is a command now and changed that part. Are you experiencing similar difficulties with examples?

BealziBob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 17:44 Edited at: 5th Jul 2006 17:47
It might be a good idea to post it here.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=50438&b=5&p=6

The Newton wrapper was never supported by TGC, it was created by Walaber, and has since been updated and maintained by kjelle69. Unfortunatley I don't think either of them are continuing to support it in the light of the Dark Physics announcement. I'm only assuming this as there have been no developents on Newton for a long time. It's a crying shame as it is a wonderful free toy, lets just hope kjelle69 is still around and will see fit to help us lesser mortals out.

Just a casual observer.
Tachyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 17:49 Edited at: 5th Jul 2006 18:06
EDIT: new info, I read the thread you pointed to me, according to uncle sam, he's having same difficulties:
Quote: "Everything seems to flicker for me, and in the fps demo, it was walking automatically.
"

I want to see first if someone else is having these difficulties or is it just windows doing what it knows best. And I need newton for my project before DarkPhysics is released. Anyone?

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 18:06
I have tested all the 5 newton demos, and no problem at all.
In addition i tested all my newton projects and no problem at all.
Make sure you have the latest newton dlls, its 1.32b.
Tachyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 18:11
I am, I re-downloaded it and re-placed it and re-compiled the demos. Are you using update 6.2b. If you are, Im confused as I read about same difficulties in newton thread.
Yes, my project works but it's fairly simple, mobile phone colliding with advanced terrain, just that I can't implement sliders for certain types of phones -and it looks lame if it doesn't have slider- if I cant study them

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 18:16
yes i use 6.2b, send me the code including necessary media and ill try to compile and see whats wrong.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 18:19
I have random crash problems along with massive slowdown on every project that was compiled with the new update (u6.1 and u6.2). A stark 22 fps with everything along with a no-error-message-instant-crash with the advanced terrain demo when it tries to make the complex collision for the terrain object.

Blah

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 18:23
so strange, i dont face any problems at all?
uhmm, i dont know if it makes a difference but i upgraded to 6.2 from 6.0 and then to 6.2b from 6.2. Never installed 6.1, but i dont think that will cause a problem.
Tachyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 18:37 Edited at: 5th Jul 2006 18:43
I upgraded from 6.0 to 6.1 and then went straight to 6.2b without bothering with 6.2. Could this be is causing the problem, I have installed every update in the past, however.
(that's becouse of holiday, I have warm memories using DBP with a laptop meeting just DBP's minium requirements - no, Im not at that laptop currently).
I get to play with that laptop whole 3 weeks without internet soon, it has 6.0, I think I'll check if the problem exist with 6.0, if not, I might jump backwards.

EDIT: CuCumBer
I don't think that your 6.1 installation is the issue, as if I remember correctly, it has only one new fix considering other than darkAI and darkPhysics.
http://walaber.com/ndb/NDBv_132b.rar this is what I use, NDB.dll and newton are new, the problems causing demo is there.

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 18:49
i dont know what is the problem then.. it works here.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 18:49
now that's why i never install upgrades from tgc until i am absolutley sure newton will work

i never installed U59 because i heard there were trouble with that and newton, turned out there was a patch for newton i never saw

i think i'll stick with U6.1 for now.

sorry i couldn't be of more help, i would get mad was it me .^^

toggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 03:21 Edited at: 6th Jul 2006 03:46
Hi,to all

@Tachyon:
I had a problem too with Materials and Collision newton demo.
I was using 5.8 version and later version 6.0 of DBPro(Newton1.32b),but demo 4 shows only flying ball.
Then I have changed the functions used for making walls,and MakeRoom subroutine.That routine I have puted at the top of the code.If you put it somewhere down in subroutine and call it with Gosub-return command it won`t work.Why?Had no time to check it way.Maybe materials are not defined as global variables or something like that...Compare this codes with yours and try to
identify what`s causing problems...
Here is working demo4:

and some fixes for demo3-joints

Posting demo5 code tags makes some erors so I have ziped it.
The friction is low,but there is no more "spring" efect.
Hope this solves your problem.

Nikola

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tachyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 10:30
Great, They work now, very big thank you

So it was just up to fine tuning.

toggy
Years of Service