Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / GUI 98 - open source : )

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 16:34
I've been working on a windows 98 (almost) perfect GUI for about a week. It is functional, but you can't add text/buttons to a window yet.

Done:

Windows can be minimized/maximized/restored/closed. You can have a container window which can hold other windows and can only be resized by the program. Other windows can be resized. Windows can be moved. Windows can have a title bar icon before the title.

Working on:
Form editor so that you can load premade forms such as alert box etc.

Not done YET:
Form file format. Events (such as button clicked). Optimisation: can be a frame rate hogger if you have more than ten windows.

Here's a demo including the functions so far:

The media(just a few pngs) is attached.

Here's a screenshot(any quality loss is due to jpg format):

What do you think so far. Please remember it's WIP

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 18:19
Nifty. Is this all DBP code, or are you using/writing a plugin?

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
looks cool.. but it would be better if you will make all without media files.

MyNewSite:http://gogetax.com
Forums(About BLO and more):http://gogetax.com/forum
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 22:06 Edited at: 13th Jul 2006 12:10
@Hyrichter
It is all in DBP. If the container window was not filling the screen it would be black behind it. It is all done using the DBP drawing commands

@Sergey K
The only media files are the cursors to resize the window, and an image for the 3 top right buttons. The rest is done by using lines.

Thanks for the comments. Can somebody test the code to see if it will work elsewhere?

Here is the face image (not needed if you comment the line which sets the icon for the window). I'm not sure if I included it in my last post

Attachments

Login to view attachments
izaboo
Years of Service
User Offline
Works great for me. Very nice work
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 09:09
Another feature is that if you minimize three windows, they will go in a row along the bottom. If you then move the middle one or do anything to it, when you minimize a different window, it will go in that space.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 11:15 Edited at: 13th Jul 2006 11:19
I will be sure to keep an eye on this!

This is open-source, meaning I can modify it and post modifications as well as be able to use this in my own projects royalty free?

This is very good! Good job Diggsey!

[EDIT] I made some menu bars before, i'll see if i can get them to look and work with your gui.

I finally have a NEW computer!!!
Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 64-BIT Processor, ATI Radeon Graphics, Windows Vista compatable, DirectX 9.0c, 2 Hard Drives, 6 Extra Drives, etc. etc.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 12:07 Edited at: 13th Jul 2006 12:22
Thanks, yes you can use this source however you like, but if you make it better plz show me what you have done.
Also, if you sell a project using this then plz mention me in the credits

I've been looking into the lock pixels command to increase the speed, but after a test where I filled the screen with colour, using cls/box was over 100 times faster than editing the screen directly

If you don't know, this program runs the best at 1024x768 mode. If this is your default display mode then it runs best if you have Windowed - desktop mode selected.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 10:40 Edited at: 14th Jul 2006 10:48
Ahh... I have done my menubar code, still not ported for this though... Here are the functions.

And a short example...

I already posted this in the "Function Collection" Post, so you might already have it.

As for the windows... I'm unsure on how this would go about... But the menubar goes in the main window, you can re-edit the positions.

The GUI is a work in progress, that is why some things just arent working, and the example is messed up to (cant close menus), so that will have to be fixed as well (though, it's not a problem with the GUI...)

Hope that helps a little bit. To make it look more "Windows 98" edit the drawing function to use lines and a single color, with a single highlight, that way you can view my toolbars (and crappy button function) as a True 98 Environment (Well, maybe semi-true).

I may be able to port the code later though...

[EDIT] to avoid using media (if you like) there is an image to code converter in the "Mario - No Media!!!" code snippets post, here is the link, just go down a little bit...
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72984&b=6

There ya go!

Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 64-BIT Processor, ATI Radeon Graphics, Windows Vista compatable, DirectX 9.0c, 2 Hard Drives, 6 Extra Drives, etc. etc.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 10:58
Thanks for the menu commands, though I don't think I will need the button function as I have already got one that already displays in any window. Your menu code will be useful for the container window, because it doesn't move, is the base window, and can't come in front of other windows.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 08:02
Alright then...

(If there is a delay in my response, it is probobly because i was newbie slapped for a code snippet.)

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 08:34
Here is my GUI update! Enjoy it. It comes with a sidebar and, tabs! As homer simpson would say, "MMmm, Tabs..." lol.

I also added "Information Bar Control" which allows you to write information to a bar at the bottem of the screen. I have also added (again with the also's) a "Point and Click" button control, you can move the mouse towards it, but it won't do anything, it is drawn using a box (1 color) and 4 lines (2 colors), and an image for the picture... The image must be 38x38 to fit as the button is 40x40. It does not use sprites, so this aids in the usability of the functions. I am soon to add more updates, so stay in alert, and continue to try to port the code, my main priority right now though is making everything work with my Game Development software "EasyEdit".

Here is the code...

NOTE: The code snippet i am refering to has been deleted by mods, so what you see here is fine... (Don't worry, it wasnt a virus)...

Your signature has been erased by a mod - try 600*120 max on the image

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:51:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:51:23