Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Steam Powered Airship - WIP (piccies)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 18:41
Been working on an AirShip model for the last three days - I'm going to add it to the DBPro Media Thread when it's finished. I've done the modelling, but the enormous task of texturing is still to be done. I'll also make a simplified collision model too - I wouldn't want anyone to collide with those planks!

The idea is, that it's a steam powered airship (thus, it's a bit 'fantasy' and not so much 'historical') that's seen better days. (Hence the broken walkway at the back).

The airship from afar:

The airship gondola (the bit people go in):

The bridge and dining area:

The bunks/sleeping area under the bridge:

And the steam engine room and galley:

There's also a cargo hold and/or fuel/supplies store under the engine room - it's got a large fold-down hatch so that it can be easily loaded when they're on land.

Comments? Oh - it's 9147 polygons - most of that I'm sure are because of the planks. Loaded fine into DB as a .X file, but it fell over as a .3DS. :/

Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 19:37
Thats one nice looking airship. However, i think you should make some kind of protection in the engine room, as for the chef may get trapped and surely killed be the engine, specially in turbulent skies.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 19:54
That looks great girly , lets see what you can make on the texturing

Quote: "but it fell over as a .3DS. :/"

The 3ds file format is weird on exports, they can be very often collapsed, I tend to use .obj between programs, okay textures don't load, but all other data is in tact, it even keeps the quads as quads, but N-Gons become tris.

9k polies is a smooth number as it has interior as well as exterior.

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 20:28
If you ever played Red Alert 2, you'll know that airships are not complete without funny faces painted on the front

3DS usually presents problems for me too, my fix is the following commands:

Your description of the 3DS problem sounds similar to what this fixes.

Quote: "but it fell over as a .3DS. :/"

Looks interesting, just needs a texture now... (and remember the face on the front)
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 21:31 Edited at: 30th Jul 2006 21:33
I didn't know you modeled! (See what i did there.)

Looking good so far.

The fins could be a little Finner (o im just full of jokes tonight). But apart from that its looking dandy.

Good luck with the texture.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 21:49
Quote: "(o im just full of jokes tonight)"

Where as I am always a joke

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 22:08
Well actually, when I say "it fell over" I meant my DB object tester just froze. I thought it was just taking a long time to load, but it sat there for at least 2 minutes. I gave up and task-manager'ed it to death.

I wasn't familiar with the Kirov Airship - but I am now I was thinking of a less military look for my airship. More the Millenium Falcon, or Serenity, of airships. Small crew, well loved but badly battered ship, occasional jobs of dubious legality, etc.

Oh, Zergie - thanks for the concern for the chef, but in turbulent skies, I'm not sure I'd have the stomach for food - I'd be too busy plastering the ground with my stomach contents in high turbulance Maybe they're a bit hardier.

@Musashi: Thanks boy-y.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 22:24
Quote: "@Musashi: Thanks boy-y. "

No problem girly

Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 23:02
Nice one Tinker, I don't think I've seen many(or any) of your modeling before, but this is a pretty good one.

I hate you. You hate me. Trust me, we both know it...no need to let me know everytime we meet.
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 23:40
I've not done much modelling - the only stuff I've done before was placeholder models for the OMMORPG project. This airship is much more complex (insanely so?) than my previous stuff.

Thanks.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 23:51
I love it, will look even better once textured as well. Great mesh work Tinker, keep it up!

[href]www.openoffice.org[href]
Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 03:55
Looks pretty great! I like the concept, will be intrested to see it textured.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 08:14
Got any wireframes?

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 08:30
Looks cool Tinkergirl, looks like some thing from runescape.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 09:31
Cool ship - hope someone picks it up and runs with it.

I wouldn't say it was too detailed, well it's as detailed as you probably need it to be - but it's all sensible polycounts, so it's all good.

I'm guessing 3DS Max?, just seems like the sort of thing I'd use Max for, hierarchial animation is so much cleaner and easier in Max than other packages.

Aegrescit medendo
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 11:06
It is indeed Max - I'm keeping certain parts as seperate models for limb rotation later (if someone wants to do that) - especially the steering wheel and the engine axles and propellers.

The gondola in wireframe.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 17:38
Tinkergirl, have you thought about sending this kind of work to jagex? It looks like the kind of stuff they would love to use, maybe as part of a quest.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 17:43
Yeah, a year a go, Jagex came over to the 3D world forum advertising a job I felt I wanted to apply for (I meant their recommended app was blender) I applied (two days late) but was refused because I wasn't 18 or older, shame really the job was located at cambridge and I'm in cambridge. But send this sort of thing in and I'm sure they're be delighted if they have vacancies.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 17:54
*chuckles* Thanks guys - the compliments are appreciated, but I have a job I enjoy already. I doubt I'd be allowed to take another, especially one in the same industry. My bosses would have my hide. (Not that I think I could cut it as a 3d modeller anyway We'll see after the texture.)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 18:35
I'm sure the pay you get wil be better than jagex, I think a lot of people on these forums have the potential to cut it out as a 3D modeller, unfortunately, the digital art industry is so popular it would be difficult to stand out in front of employers.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 22:09
Thats why its a good idea to try and make your own game, or some thing else with 3d content. If you cant get work, make your own job up.
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 21:38 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 21:38
So, I think I'm about half way through UV unwrapping and texturing, so I thought I'd post a WIP of my WIP I think the engine room will be the killer, but I hope I never see another plank again!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
This reminds me of a role playing game put out in the 80s by GDW. The name escapes me, but it was about the colonial powers colonizing Mars and Venus. It featured steam powered airships and ether powered space craft.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 02:34
hey, lookin good. how many polies is the model? (excluding the balloon)

Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78971&b=8&p=0
*New Website Coming Soon*
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 02:53
the model is looking great

i havent done much 3d modeling so im not sure how easy this is but wouldnt it reduce the poly count greatly if you alpha mapped the planks instead of making them individually
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 13:05
Good start on the texture job, the interior is going to be a pain you're right, but then I am the worlds worst UVMapper.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 15:49
@JasonHTML: I'll get some more polycounts when I get home from work, but I'm wondering why you'd want to know how much it'd be without the balloon?

@Wildbil: if you can remember the name of that game, I'd be interested to know. Aether ships and airships are super-cool to me right now.

@Jerok: Yup, you're right, if the walkways were alpha'ed planes, then the poly count would definitely take a nosedive. However, it wouldn't look as good close up. Though, something like that might be useful for a long-distance (Level Of Detail) model to save some poly's. Thing is, I'd never really imagined more than one of these on screen at any one time. It's a level/vehicle, almost.

@Musashi: Thanks! I don't mind UV unwrapping much, but the longer I look at the model, the more my texturing appears to suck. I think I'm going to have to go back and change quite a lot of it (for example, the 'braces' that hold up the walkways). But I'll try to get through it first - posting a dodgy texture might be ok if people can edit them later, after all.

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 00:07
Quote: "but then I am the worlds worst UVMapper."

No you're not... I am...
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 02:15 Edited at: 4th Aug 2006 02:18
8590 polygons without the balloon, JasonHTML. Strange question

(But I've managed to get the mesh down to 8998 poly's some how - wasn't trying to, just cleaning the mesh). So for those mathematical whizkids out there, there's 408 poly's in the balloon+fins.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 04:30
Quote: "@JasonHTML: I'll get some more polycounts when I get home from work, but I'm wondering why you'd want to know how much it'd be without the balloon?"

i just wanted to know, because it looks higher poly than i betted it was...

and almost 9k polies for something with that much detail is pretty good.

Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78971&b=8&p=0
*New Website Coming Soon*
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 03:08
Okies! I'll post some screenies (probably tomorrow - or if someone else wants to) but here it is! All finished, textured and in a DB test project (DBpro source) with the propeller limbs rotating and everything.

Arrowkeys to move, shift to move up, ctrl to move down (no collision - it's just a viewer). Press space to see the names of all the limbs and their numbers (I think there's an out by one error, but I'm not sure).

I'll be pimping this properly tomorrow, but it's late now. Sleepy.

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 12:54 Edited at: 6th Aug 2006 13:08
Hello, Tinkergirl

err,.. ummm,.. I tried to load your .x model but once again all the programs I have could not. 1st thing I noticed is that the material paths were all hardcoded in the .x file (E:\Airship____#####\filename.png) Not a big problem, I did a find and replace to remove the path. This should have forced the .x file to seek the .png images in the same directory (folder) as the model itself.. no luck. none of the textures load. Oh well, I just thought I'd point this out. I was gonna try and do a nice rendering in bryce to showcase your model, but untextured it just wouldn't be much of a showcase.

Cheers!

Gonna check out your dbp code next, will edit in any comments.. brb

EDIT: Well, your dbpro code runs fine,.. but omg no ability to rotate? lol but other than that, it looks great. I also have some other news.. it seems that 'ALL' the .x file viewer/importers I have do not like .png images. I did a quick test by converting the .png's to .jpg and all the textures load. (I tried it with your original un edited mesh and it did not load the textures. Again this is probably due to the 'path' being hardcoded.)

..now to see what I can do in the way of a render.. I'll be back..

Cheers! v2.0
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 13:35 Edited at: 6th Aug 2006 18:40
No .png's eh? Hm. That's a shame, as they're my favourite image format. If I could find a format that you'd prefer, David, then I'd try to export that as well as a .X next time. I had a look at the list of things Bryce imports, but nothing jumped out as particularly amazing. .dfx and .obj are the most likely looking suspects - it's just absurd that Max won't export .3ds properly. *shakes head*

Glad the DBPro code ran fine - I was starting to really worry that my models would be relegated to the Emperors New Clothes status. "No really - there's a model! Honest! I worked really hard on it too!..."

[edit]: Some piccies.
The Slipstream Pioneer:

The front cabin:

The engine room and galley:

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 13:45
Would you be so kind as to have a try with this version, David? I used a different .X exporter (the Pandasoft one). This one had a tickbox for use full paths (which defaulted to off, and I kept it that way) and automatically converted the textures to .bmps.

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 18:44 Edited at: 6th Aug 2006 18:47
The new one loads into lithunwrap fine but it still crashes bryce. Once I convert it to .obj bryce loads it fine.

It's so nice to know the .x is a universal and 'Standard' format eh? lol

Oh and just one small detail... the text on the blimp part of the model is backwards when I view it.

Test render...

Cheers!
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 20:27
That seems to happen with the pandasoft .X exporter. It's very strange, and why I still use the original export in the DBPro program/viewer thingie.

Lovely render - I assume that's over the Marian oceans

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 03:15
Looks great - would look better with a Kirov-style face on the front though (actually, perhaps not...)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-22 11:25:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-22 11:25:57