Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Here is the ladder

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 00:41
Here is a video of the working ladder. Simple but effective.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 00:43 Edited at: 26th Aug 2006 15:41
And here are the files. They include a license and installation instructions. The ladder model/texture isn't great (I'm not a modeler) and you can replace it with your own. It's the script and how you place it in the editor that matters.

KNOWN ISSUES:

1. The included script uses the players proximity to the ceiling to tell the player when to stop climbing. Therefore, a one story ladder will work in a two story room, a two story ladder will work in a three story room, etc. You can use a few invisible ceiling entities above the ladder to fix this issue.

2. Some segments in FPSC seem to have a different effect on the script than others. One room type will work fine while others have issues. The script tested well with the science lab segments.

Attachments

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 00:54 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 00:54
Awesome xplysys, did you just make this? I've ignored the ladder threads so far because I figured that they were half-baked fixes...

But this works great! Sure you climb it automatically, but that's no big deal.

One question, what function does the raycast command do in this script? Is it checking for collision with the ceiling?

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 00:57
@bond1

Yes, exactly. And it took a while to adjust it. It's not perfect, but I don't know if we can get there from here. lol

Thanks.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 01:14
Looks awesome Man!! (Even the ladder, in some kind of strange way..) Looks very realistic and fast in the movie! By the by... Is there a limit how tall the ladder can be? Or can You make it really tall?
Nice work!

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 01:17
You should be able to make it as tall as you want. The script works by proximity, so....... yeah.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah its cool isn't it? The only thing I might change personally is insert a pause in the script that prompts the player to press enter to climb the ladder, rather than do it automatically, but that's just personal preference.

I think the Hitman games have a similar "auto climb" system for ladders, so this is very nice indeed.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 06:05
Good job,xplosys.Now maybe this will put an end to the constant ladder threads.
Now that you have made a working ladder and released it for free (you could have charged for this and rightly so) everybody can have their ladders and be happy.
Thanks.This is most definitely going to come in handy.

Obbidiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 10:18
Thanks xplosys you have solved a long lasting problem.And its FREE.Thanks for all your hard work.VERY NICE !!!!

No Husband was ever killed while doing the dishes !!!!!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 16:16
@bond1

I initially had it setup to use the enter key, but took that out. It had two issues. First it didn't work correctly all the time and second, it's difficult to have one hand on WASD and the other on your mouse (no, the other mouse) and press enter at the same time.

@Everyone, thanks. I would rather it were easier to setup and only needed one entity, but I think this is the best that could be done with what we have.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 16:54
Really nice....and the threads named so this poor search engine can find it. What more is there to say.

Thanks alot.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 16:58
Giving this a temporary sticky. Can you post this in the Free Media sticky in the Models and Media Board as well, Xplosys?

-Keith

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 17:06
Thanks, this works great!!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 17:26 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 17:30
Thanks Keith.

I got a little busy and when I cam back to look at my post it was gone. I thought "Why would they remove my post?"

I did a search for My Threads and realized that you made it a sticky.

I posted it in the "FPSC content from around the forums" thread. I guess thats the one you meant.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 18:10
Yep, that's why I made this a temporary sticky; so you'd have time to stick it in the Models and Media Sticky. I'll let this stick up here for a week or so, because its such a popular request. Thanks for donating it.

-Keith

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 08:37
Top job... Thanks very much

I don't want to see a FPSC Professional!
Connor Higgins
User Banned
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 15:07
hey i got a problem i put the ladder one static and one dynamic and the dynamic one with the ladder.fpi but when i go to it i just fly up into the air and i dont know what i did wrong??

super cool timmy turner has fairy godparents and i am not a mad science teacher i am a real boy so FAIRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 16:14
Sorry, but I don't know either. If you follow the instructions it should work. There are some unknowns that we can't account for, especially after people have made program modifications or installed other peoples custom content.

Make sure you place the dynamic ladder with the ladder.fpi first and then place the static one with the default fpi exactly on top of the first. If you see any part of the first ladder or the texture jumps erratically when you move and look at it, then it is not place properly.

All I can say is to try it again, making sure that they are placed properly, and if that doesn't work then I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.

ExSpirit
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the same problem.. Here is the video.

Attachments

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 23:29 Edited at: 26th Aug 2006 15:42
@ ExSpirit and Connor Higgins,

After reviewing the video and the script, I see the problem. The script will not work properly when there is more than one floor above the ladder. It uses the players proximity with the ceiling to tell it when to stop climbing. I will try to work around it, but for now it only works in a two story room. Likewise, a two story ladder will work in a three story room and so on. You can use a few invisible ceiling entities above the ladder to fix this issue.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 16:09
OK, I'm unsticking this now; it can be found in the models/media sticky on the Models and Media Board. Thanks again, Xplosys.

-Keith

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 17:40
Your most welcome.

Juice
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 16:55
why have I not downloaded this yet?
I must be out of my mind!
Walking Dead Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 02:21
I'm trying to get this to work, but I'm having trouble. When I test the level, the dynamic ladder just falls to the ground when the game starts.
Am I following the directions right?

1. I made one ladder dynamic and placed it against the wall.

2. I selected "ladder.fpi" as its main script.

3. I placed a static ladder with "default.fpi" as its main script in the same place I placed the first ladder.

But when the game starts, the static ladder stays on the wall and the dynamic one falls to the ground (you can pick it up and throw it). I can't climb the ladder either.

Screenshot is attached.

When there's
no more room in HELL
the dead will walk the EARTH

Attachments

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 15:56
It would appear that you have somehow changed your default settings for dynamic entities, or that they were changed by an update perhaps. If you place the first ladder in dynamic mode with default settings, it should not appear at all, but be invisible. The procedures you describe however are correct and should work properly.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 17:19
thank you

The world is complicated only people are simple
IxiPRO
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you very much. good work

Hi all, i am IxiPRO. FPS Creator is
J Bird
Years of Service
User Offline
Xplosys, Thank You so so much for this one.
Ive been struggling with this for weeks now and was just about to
give up. It was Your use of the raycast command that Ive been
overlooking all this time. Brilliant!
Once again Thank You.

Walking Dead
[quote]the static ladder stays on the wall and the dynamic one falls to the ground (you can pick it up and throw it). I can't climb the ladder either.

I had the same problem, Here is the work around:
When You set the dynamic ladder, Make sure You set "Isimobile"
to YES in its properties. (when You right click on it to set the
ladder FPI as its mail AI)
This will make it invissable, so other than "Isimobile" Make
sure you follow Xplosys' instructions to a tee and it should work.

J.

Dont try to be different, Just be good,
To be good is different enough.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 20:32:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 20:32:47