Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / | Call of the Dragon | - WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 00:50 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 10:37
CALL OF THE DRAGON

Declaration
This project was started well in advance of the competition and we understand that it will be judged much harder against much stricter criteria, but what the hell. We decided to enter it anyways and use this competition as a kind of "catalyst" if you will to drive us to finnish the game since personal commitments and other stuff has stopped us from making significant progress in the past.

Generic Information
Call of the Dragon is a Martial Art's epic anchored heavily in combat and gameplay. It's being created as a joint effort between me and another game developer and takes an innovative twist to the popular side scrolling beat 'em' ups of yesteryears. The Development roles are broadly categorized into:

Jezrun Bowman (Media)
Dienye Boham (Programming)

Development Progress
A lot of the development work done pre-compo announcement involved mainly concept work and laying down the technical foundation for the game. The progress info below takes into account both pre- and post-competition announcement development:

Core game engine (40%)
Character modelling, texturing & animation (50%)
Stage modelling & texturing (50%)
Core gameplay mechanism (60%)
Enemy Artificial Intelligence (30%)
Graphics, SFX & Shaders (40%)
Physics engine (50%)
Music & Sounds (60%)
Menus, HUDs and Interfaces (50%)
Tweaking, polish & fine-tuning (10%)

Note: It's extremely unlikely that we will be able to complete the entire game within the 4-month window of the competition, due in parts to the ambitious nature of the project. Hopefully we will be able to churn out a decent demo before the competition deadline.

Screenshots

Website
More information and screenshots can be found on our website:

http://www.bandedsoftware.com/hexgear/cod.html

Coming Soon
Game premise, videos, demos and screenshots.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 01:32
Wow.

The graphics look excellent. I love a good martial arts game, especially if it's japanese (it is, right?) and has dragons in it.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 03:16
wow, ive never seen this project! did you not have a WIP thread?

forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78971&b=8&p=0
forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=91115&b=32
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 00:18
Nice project, I love the graphics.

Load Programmer "Crazy Programmer",1
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 11:00 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 11:01
Thanks for the comments, you can thank our "Media man"; Jezrun for all the in-game graphics.

Quote: "The graphics look excellent. I love a good martial arts game, especially if it's japanese (it is, right?) and has dragons in it."

Sorry to disappoint but it's Chinese and if you look hard enough you might even be able to guess who we drew inspiration from.

Quote: "wow, ive never seen this project! did you not have a WIP thread?"

We never got around to making a WIP thread because we were never in constant development. Sometimes we'd break for months with no progress, other times we'd get loads done in a single week. Heck maybe when the compo is done we'll ask nicely for this thread to be moved to the WIP section while we try and complete the full game.

Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 17:59
Fantastic - any chance you can include hairy backed Chuck Norris as an enemy boss?! Good luck with the project.

Cheers
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 18:06
Quote: "Fantastic - any chance you can include hairy backed Chuck Norris as an enemy boss?!"

lol Jezrun is gonna get a kick outta that statement! I've got no official comment but let's just say great minds think alike!

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 22:47
Looking real good HexGear, I've always been a fan of your games. I can't wait to play this one!

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I saw this awhile back while I was looking at your site and it looks awesome.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 12:00 Edited at: 13th Dec 2006 12:01
Quote: "Looking real good HexGear, I've always been a fan of your games. I can't wait to play this one!"

Thanks, hopefully i'll actually finish this one!

Quote: "I saw this awhile back while I was looking at your site and it looks awesome."

Yup, it's been up on the site for a while now... thanks.

We got some new screenshots up on the website. The pic below shows a WIP of the last section of the stage we'll probably be using for our compo entry. Pool anyone?

We've also released short clips of some of the moves you can pull-off in the game. You might need VLC Player to watch them if you don't have the necessary codecs. Here's one of them:

The leg sweep (175KB .avi file)

For anyone that can't watch it; it's pretty much your standard leg-sweep that knocks your opponent clean off their feet in one swift movement.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 12:58
Looks very, very nice.

Remember to really push the shine for the version you enter into the compo.

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 19:56 Edited at: 15th Jan 2007 19:58
CALL OF THE DRAGON BETA

We've made so much progress in the past few weeks that at this point we feel the combat system has evolved enough for us to release a demo showcasing the game in action.

The Demo
In this demo your in control of Shui Long and can practise all his moves, blocks and special attacks as well as sample all the weapons the game has to offer. What the demo doesn't include is actual combat against NPC characters (we're saving the best for last!). The dojo is like a little playground and you can either train with the punching bag or the rotating dummy.

Just a couple of things you need to note before you get going:

Arrow keys to move, jump and duck
A button to block
S button to punch/use weapon
D button to kick
F2/F3 to toggle the movelist
Space to switch training apparatus

Download Here (17.6MB Zip file)

Feedback
We haven't had the time or resources to test the game on a wide variety of computer systems so we would very much like and appreciate any feedback regarding the technical performance of the game as well as the actual gameplay. Also at any random point while playing the game could you please do the following:

Hit the "f" key and note the numbers on the top left side of the screen.
Hit the "`" key (left of the "1" key) and upload the time_stamp.txt file it creates.

Could you also leave brief details of your systems specifications.

Thank you.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 20:04
Now this is cool!

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 03:57 Edited at: 16th Jan 2007 03:58
Fun, but I completely suck at it. Both training devices kicked my *ss all over the place. The impacts were satisfying though, and the combinations cool. I liked how all the different weapons worked. My only complaint is that he doesn't get back up automatically. I kept forgetting to do it myself, or pressing the spacekey instead. The performance seemed fine on my pc.

Nice.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 19:29 Edited at: 16th Jan 2007 19:30
Hehe... yeah, it is kind of daunting at first but after a while you get used to it. See you can either adopt an offensive or defensive approach to the thugs in the main game so this training dojo teaches you to attack and block.

The boxing bag is more generic, all you have to do is block as it swings back towards you. The rotating dummy on the other hand is more complex and attacks in 3 directions much like the thugs in the main game. So you have to block up, mid and down depending on which one of it's arms come close to you. Check out the pic below:

So for arm 1 you block up (a+up), arm 2 you block mid (a) and arm 3 you block down (a+down). If your good enough you don't even have to block so much, you can duck arm 1 and jump over arm 3.

Thanks for trying it out and your point about the protagonist getting up automatically is duly noted.

Attachments

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 14:59
Has anyone else tried out the demo? Don't feel shy about telling us what you really think... we're all ears!

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 15:27 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 15:32
nice! i liked the back handspring

i went through and tryed a bunch of the moves, but i couldn't figure out which key was "grab"

like bizar guy i found it counter intuitive that he didn't get back up automatically (once i realized he wouldn't get up on his own i kept thinking spacebar would do it )

[edit] from hitting "f"
0.03 ish

attached the file

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.

Attachments

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 16:47 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 16:48
brilliant, thanks a lot!

Quote: "i went through and tryed a bunch of the moves, but i couldn't figure out which key was "grab""

The grab is performed by walking into a dazed enemy, there aren't any enemies in the training dojo so technically you can't perform this move yet.

Quote: "like bizar guy i found it counter intuitive that he didn't get back up automatically (once i realized he wouldn't get up on his own i kept thinking spacebar would do it)"

We actually had it implemented as you guys suggested originally but changed it to the current method because i found in the heat of battle you might just want to stay down for a while (enemies can't hit you when your down) to rethink your strategy. It kind of serves as an opportunity to catch a breather if you know what i mean. If people still feel this way after trying the combat demo we'll definitely have to change it.

Thanks for posting the data, your computer "should" be able to run the actual game at a decent speed with no problems.

P.S. while performing the back-handspring have you tried tapping the "d" (kick) button?

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 17:47
ah, ok. i see how it could make sense to manually jump back up in the combat version

Quote: "P.S. while performing the back-handspring have you tried tapping the "d" (kick) button?"

i hadn't tried before but i went back and tried, nothing happened (maybe i was doing it wrong)

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 17:54 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 17:57
You have to hit the "d" button quickly, just before he puts his hands on the ground while doing the back-handspring. He should switch to a kind of Chinese getup which also acts as an attack.

[edit]

The good thing about the Chinese getup is that when your knocked down and sliding on the ground, you can tap the "d" button and perform the Chinese getup to rise more quickly and offensively.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 01:15 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 01:30
Hey guys & gals, we got a couple of screenshots for you just to show the progress we've been making. We just recently completed the latest stable build of our stage editor and have used it to setup some pretty interesting situations:

wrong place, wrong time

Attachments

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 01:19 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 01:20
Crashin' a party

Attachments

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 01:22 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 01:23
4 on 1 isn't fair... it should be at least 6!

Attachments

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 01:27 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2007 18:25
Yo Jimmy, how many fingers am i holding up?

Attachments

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 01:37
looks really good!

i'm looking forward to playing this one! (and it gives me a good reason to work harder on my game lol)

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 23:00
I got a favour to ask any moderator out there:

Could someone please move this thread to the Work in Progress section 'cus we plan on completing and hopefully publishing this title over the coming weeks.

Thanks.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 02:44
Thanks Van.

Pillsbury Dobok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 04:56
This looks awesome!

I love beat-em-ups.

I am the keeper of the invisible flame. You shall not pass gas...
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 16:19
Thanks, I hope you won't be disappointed when you play the demo.

Here's a link to the YouTube video made for the competition review, but the play-style seems pretty erratic, which doesn't lend well to showcasing the depth of the combat system.

If you watch the video closely you should notice arrows appear on the heads of the thugs. This is when a thug "thinks" of an attack, the time between "thinking" of an attack and "executing" an attack is much longer for easier enemies (found in the demo stages) and almost instantaneous for harder enemies.

Hopefully we'll be able to squeeze out a couple of videos to show how the game was made to be played.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 03:25 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 03:26
Hey all...

here are a couple of links to new YouTube video clips showcasing the various outfits and moves found in the game, tutorial vids will come much later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJovDzh1gJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM7kpWfj3H4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfe0ow8cK_w

Enjoy!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 09:18
my word! that's impressive!

graphics are excellent, animations are extra-ordinary! the models are a bit low poly but my god are they animated good. Your collision looks prety well done as well.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 10:08
Hey this is awesome greatest projects i've seen.. One question are u using dpbro animation commmands such as loop object and play object?

If u are i suggest u to change them to Blend anim system wich is faster and does auto-blending.. There are couple examples of this

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 10:58
Wow, just seen your post.
Your game project look really great

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Odyssey-Creators - X-Quad Editor - 3DMapEditor
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 19:17
Thank you all for the kind comments, we appreciate it!

@The Full Metal Coder Roxas:

Yeah, we do use the DBPro native animation commands. Thank you for your suggestions, i'll be sure to take a look at them in detail.

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 20:52
Nice game. However, there is only one thing. I would personaly like it more if the enemys would be more active (in those youtube videos, they mostly just stand there as bags ready to be punched. It would be nice if they attacked or defended them selfs, to make it more of an challange). However, it's very nice. Good work so far.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 22:40
I am going to download later, but I visited your site Sam, all I can say is "Wow!" This game and the screenshots look really awesome. I can tell a lot of work and talent went into this. Can't wait to try it out.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 23:37
Thanks guys!

Quote: "Nice game. However, there is only one thing. I would personaly like it more if the enemys would be more active (in those youtube videos, they mostly just stand there as bags ready to be punched. It would be nice if they attacked or defended them selfs, to make it more of an challange). However, it's very nice. Good work so far."

Yeah i know exactly what you mean, the guy playing is... well, for lack of a better word, an expert since he part-designed the game. Most of the levels you see are found early on in the game so the enemies are pretty dumb and if you watch closely he really doesn't give them much of a chance to attack. The blockaholics come in much later in the game!

The combat system is really pretty deep and maybe we'll make a couple of vids just to showcase how deep it goes. We might still tweak the difficulty curve a bit after recieving feedback from the community once they've tried the demo.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 00:01
A couple more links to new YouTube vids showing more weapons, combat and effects. In particular check out the 45-Hit Call of the Dragon Combo found at the end of the first link. At this point the enemies get slightly harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUpyzvfN_gg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vprvFPYCuao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsVmMqCtL2A

Thanks.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 04:26
dang dudes, once again applause for the maticulous attention to detail in the animations, som eof the best work I've seen so far in any db project, and heck a lot of professional games! The action just looks really fluid, and collision with it seems to work wonders. well done!

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 09:22
Really nice. That 45-Hit Call of the Dragon Combo was pretty nice, but it was a bit ugly to see the enemy fall down and then stand up again... but it was still very nice. And by the way, I noticed that sometimes there is some sort of bullet-time effect. Is that something that comes automatically, or is there really a bullet-time?
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 14:36 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2007 14:41
Certain special moves are executed in slow-motion at random occurrences for dramatic effect but you can also exploit it by stringing several special moves together during those slow-mo periods. I'll see if i can upload a short clip to show you what i mean.

However, the dragon effect (used for the 45-hit combo and activated by filling up your yin and yang meters) slows the world down while you remain at normal speed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 02:58:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 02:58:27