Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Using a shader, how would I make some vertices transparent but not others in one mesh?

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 09:45 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 09:51
Hi all

Say I have a pretty big mesh in DBPro (~3000 vertices and ~20000 indices). I have three questions:

How would I make just some of the vertices transparent but not all of them?
How would I set the blend mode to "replace" (if such a thing exists - I want to overwrite the backbuffer with black wherever the mesh is transparent)?
How would I set the blend mode to "add" (to add to the contents of the backbuffer)?

Basically I want to have the edges of two meshes overlapping but blended together smoothly.

Any help would be much appreciated

EDIT: I have very little shader knowledge, but I really want to learn to write my own shaders, so if you could explain the shader that would be much more helpful...but it's not necessary and any help at all is much appreciated

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 12:14 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 19:39
Quote: "How would I set the blend mode to "add""

in DBP:

in shader:

---
Vertex alpha:

You need to pass Color.a (interpolated vertex alpha) to pixel shader from vertex shader. You can use COLOR0 as output from vertex shader.
---
POST UPDATED

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 14:55 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 15:24
Thanks mr Handy, that's the kind of thing I was looking for, but...

Quote: "You need to pass Color.a (interpolated vertex alpha) to pixel shader from vertex shader. You can use COLOR0 as output from vertex shader."

...I have virtually no shader knowledge and therefore have no idea how to do that

Also, is it possible to apply the COLOR0 variable to only certain vertices and not all of them (but still within the one mesh)?

Thanks again

EDIT: Like this:

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 15:23 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 15:30
Oh. You see, first you need to find a shader (look for 'ultimate shader pack' thread) that will suit your needs.

Shader will override DBP lighting and object appearance so at least you need "per pixel lighting" shader to get basic lighting.

Then we could see what to do next.

COLOR is an every vertex color RGBA value. COLOR0 is a color at layer 0.

Imagine the shader as a regular "for" loop for every object pixel on the screen:
for pixel = 1 to 10000000000....
shader code:
{ render single vertex }
{ render single pixel }
next pixel

So you need to write RGBA (UV, whatever) value to every vertex. Shader will do the rest.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 15:38 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 15:39
Quote: "Oh. You see, first you need to find a shader (look for 'ultimate shader pack' thread) that will suit your needs. Shader will override DBP lighting and object appearance so at least you need "per pixel lighting" shader to get basic lighting. Than we could see what to do."

Oh ok. I know using a shader instantly disables any automatic rendering, but I only need at most very basic per-vertex lighting, and for initial tests not even that is really necessary. I'll see what I can find.

Quote: "COLOR0 is an every vertex alpha value. Imagine the shader as a regular "for" loop for every object pixel on the screen."

Hmm...that's what I thought. What I need is a way to basically say, in the shader, "if vertextype=1 then setVertexAlpha(255) else setVertexAlpha(0)". Basically.

EDIT: Refer to the picture I added to my previous post.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 16:00 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 16:05
I just remember - DBP have a problem with use of vertex color in shader. So better to write alpha value as UV coordinate in vertex.

I wish some shader guys will come here and share with experience.

P.S. but what you want to do is not a problem

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 16:11 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 16:14
Ok I half found, half assembled a base shader. Turns out I can figure out very simple shader stuff but I still have no idea how to achieve what I need. Here's the base shader:

Quote: "I wish some shader guys will come here and share with experience."

Yes, me too. I was rather hoping Green Gandalf would chime in at some point; he's pretty good with shaders as far as I know.

Quote: "but what you want to do is not a problem"

Oh well as long as you have some idea how to achieve this I'm very happy for you to help

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 16:48 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 17:34
Quote: " I was rather hoping Green Gandalf would chime in at some point"

Mention my name and I will appear.

You might be able to do it simply by adding vertex diffuse to the object's FVF format using the convert object FVF command. In that case you can set the colour of each vertex using the vertexdata commands. However, as Mr Handy says, that approach is bugged in some situations in DBPro and a simple solution is to do what mr Handy suggests, i.e. add extra UV coordinates to store the colour values. If your model has just one set of UV coordinates and you only need to set the transparency then you will need an extra set of UV coordinates. You can then store the alpha value in the U component, leaving the V component free for something else. You will still need to use the vertexdata commands though and the problem might be how to decide which vertices to set to zero and which to 1.

I'm sure mr Handy can give you the details.

I did have a simple demo doing something like this - I'll see if I can find it.

Edit It was quicker to write a new demo. Try the attached project.

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

Login to view attachments
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 17:43 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 19:41
POST UPDATED

This code works + blending customize feature!

Also here is HLSL blending table: http://www.gamedev.ru/terms/Blending You will need google translate! You can try different BlendOp, SrcBlend and DestBlend values (names)!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 18:36 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 19:04
mr Handy

This bit probably won't work as intended:

See image:

Edit My version of the shader is equivalent to the following in the technique:

I'll answer your other question about blendOpAlpha later.

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

Login to view attachments
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 19:33 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 20:03
GreenGandalf, I have not noticed your attached code. I have tested and fixed mine now (that post is updated).

EDIT: Oops, I also have not noticed your last EDIT, though I fixed code as you have said! I am too tired today

I have included BlendOp=ADD; because Clonkex asked add operation...

EDIT №9000: Oops, I also also have not noticed "the following are the default settings and can often be omitted".

I am so silly

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 21:29
As far as I can tell BlendOPAlpha does the same as BlendOp - although the documentation suggests otherwise. Here are the options for BlendOp (from the DX9 SDK docs) :

Quote: "D3DBLENDOP Enumeration
Defines the supported blend operations. See Remarks for definitions of terms.

Syntax
typedef enum D3DBLENDOP {
D3DBLENDOP_ADD = 1,
D3DBLENDOP_SUBTRACT = 2,
D3DBLENDOP_REVSUBTRACT = 3,
D3DBLENDOP_MIN = 4,
D3DBLENDOP_MAX = 5,
D3DBLENDOP_FORCE_DWORD = 0x7fffffff
} D3DBLENDOP, *LPD3DBLENDOP;

Constants
D3DBLENDOP_ADD
The result is the destination added to the source. Result = Source + Destination

D3DBLENDOP_SUBTRACT
The result is the destination subtracted from to the source. Result = Source - Destination

D3DBLENDOP_REVSUBTRACT
The result is the source subtracted from the destination. Result = Destination - Source

D3DBLENDOP_MIN
The result is the minimum of the source and destination. Result = MIN(Source, Destination)

D3DBLENDOP_MAX
The result is the maximum of the source and destination. Result = MAX(Source, Destination)

D3DBLENDOP_FORCE_DWORD
Forces this enumeration to compile to 32 bits in size. Without this value, some compilers would allow this enumeration to compile to a size other than 32 bits. This value is not used.

Remarks
Source, Destination, and Result are defined as:

Term Type Description
Source Input Color of the source pixel before the operation.
Destination Input Color of the pixel in the destination buffer before the operation.
Result Output Returned value that is the blended color resulting from the operation.

This enumerated type defines values used by the following render states:

D3DRS_BLENDOP
D3DRS_BLENDOPALPHA "

Powered by Free Banners
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 03:35
Wow that's perfect!! You guys are the best!

Quote: "Mention my name and I will appear."

lol I'll have to remember that...

Quote: "using the convert object FVF command."

Under no circumstances can I use that command. From talking to Grumpy One while he was making Forester Pro, I believe it's a very slow command. However, I make my mesh from scratch and it's procedurally generated, so it can be absolutely whatever I want it to be from the get-go (in other words I can generate the mesh with a specific FVF value).

Quote: "This code works + blending customize feature!"

Quote: "My version of the shader is equivalent to the following in the technique"

Quote: "I have tested and fixed mine now (that post is updated)."

Thanks so much! Those shaders are both perfect for what I need, AND due to all this, the whole shader thing FINALLY clicked in my mind and I understand it!! I've never had so much trouble trying to understand something before in my life...

I'll post the results of your efforts in my semi-secret project sometime later (HOPEFULLY today, but not necessarily...depends how well I go)

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 13:11
Quote: "AND due to all this, the whole shader thing FINALLY clicked in my mind and I understand it!! "

Now that's what I call a result.

Quote: "I'll post the results of your efforts in my semi-secret project sometime later (HOPEFULLY today, but not necessarily...depends how well I go)"

Looking forward to it.

Powered by Free Banners
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 15:38 Edited at: 8th Sep 2013 15:50
Quote: "Now that's what I call a result."

Haha

Ok, I have a slight problem, in that the mesh is completely invisible. I suspect it's not using the texture correctly, but I'm not sure how to make it use it because in Dark Shader you can just set the shader in a little box. I'm assuming this line...

...has to be set to the correct texture somehow.

And how would I modify the shader to not need that line, if possible? I mean, how would I make it just use the texture that's assigned the object already?

EDIT: If you reply and I'm silent for a day or two, don't worry, I have to go out for most of tomorrow and might not get a chance to reply on Tuesday

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 16:08
Quote: "...has to be set to the correct texture somehow."

No. But try this:

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 02:34 Edited at: 9th Sep 2013 03:01
No, that doesn't fix it. Just a second while I create a simpler project to test this properly and make sure it's not my code causing the problem...

This is what the shader currently looks like anyway:

Also, just to be sure, the alpha value should be in the range on 0-1, correct? Not 0-255?

Ok, this is what I do in my test code now:

The debug info bit and the stuff up the very top is stuff I put into every single project I start with.

In this case the cube is visible and has a texture but since I've set the alpha to 0 directly in the shader with a constant for debugging, it actually shouldn't be visible. Also, the ambient lighting bit doesn't affect it and it appears fullbright.

The cube, being just a make object cube cube doesn't (as far as I know) have a second texture stage, so I commented out anything relating to that to make sure that wasn't causing a problem.

EDIT:

*FACEPALM*

I was editing the wrong copy of the shader!! Right, well the shader works perfectly, now to go figure out what's wrong in my code to stop it working properly on my big mesh...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 03:51
Ok, I still can't get the shader to work on my big mesh (it's still invisible with the shader applied), but I did notice that even when the shader's not applied, if I turn the camera away so the mesh is entirely outside the view frustum, it still says I'm rendering ~6000 polys. I've done calculate objects bounds but it still does that. I've checked the positions of all the vertices and none are not where they should be (pretty sure about that). Could that somehow be linked to the shader issue?

I'll do some more experiments, but the Land Rover (that I was supposed to be taking today but it turns out had a flat battery due to the alternator not working) should just about be charged so I might not have much more time to fiddle.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 04:03
Quote: "alpha value should be in the range on 0-1, correct?"

Correct.
Quote: "it's still invisible with the shader applied"

Take a note: that also can be the result of error in shader. Use 'perform checklist for effect errors' to be sure.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 04:22
I did that already and there are no errors.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 05:35
Ok, I'm VERY excited now!! Finally got it to work!!

In the end I got my test code (which just used make object cube to make a test object) and did this instead:

...because that's basically how I was creating the mesh in my main project (only I wasn't typing out the vertex data by hand ). As I was writing that code I noticed there was an extra parameter in lock vertexdata for limb that I didn't know about. I ignored it to begin with as I just wanted to see if I could get the simpler test code to act the same was as the main code, and lo and behold when I applied the shader the object disappeared. Yes! That meant it was something to do with how I was creating the object.

So I remembered that extra parameter and tried using it. A value of 1 did nothing, but when I tried 2 it worked! The object appeared again, this time with the shader applied! So, in future, remember that the vertexdata set up in an object created using make object new from the Matrix1 DLLs isn't properly initialised until you lock the vertexdata with that lock mode parameter set to 2.

Yes!! Very happy!

Time to go tidy up my very messy code (it always ends up horribly messy when I have to spend hours debugging something obscure) and then add tri-planar projection to the shader (lets see I get that far without needing help again ).

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 06:01
Ok, he's the current result without tri-planar blending or lighting (except ambient) applied yet:

And here's the shader that achieves that:

The only thing is that the blend between the two textures goes purple. Is there another way to blend (I assume in the pixel shader)? None of the other BLENDOP modes blend any better (in fact most result the terrain being mostly black).

Overall very happy with the result

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 10:02 Edited at: 9th Sep 2013 10:04
How would you adjust the shader to represent an RGB value, rather than the alpha? So instead of a vertex being transparent it could be a hex value, such as 0x8000FF00

EDIT: Further to this, can secondary (or more) textures be blended in this way too?

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 11:20
Quote: "can secondary (or more) textures be blended in this way too?"

Alpha blending has a limit depending on GFX card.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 11:57
Quote: "The only thing is that the blend between the two textures goes purple."

That's caused by rendering your semi-transparent object before the other object so it gets blended with the backdrop (blue) instead of the true background objects. Just make sure you're using the correct transparency modes. If all your objects have the transparency mode set then you'll need to make sure the objects get rendered in the correct order.

To begin with try

I'm not sure why your code seems to work without that. I don't get transparency unless I use that.