Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / USS Enterprise

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2003 23:01
I have made a model of the enterprise from TOS and need help texturing it does anyone wanna give me a hand?
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 02:06
OK here is a screen shot of it it's very nearly finished now apart from the textures.

Firesea
Years of Service
User Offline
Umm, great job but go here and type Enterprise in the search engine:

http://shape.cs.princeton.edu/search.html

lots of enterprise models in Max format with texture

But... bet you learned alot
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 16:46 Edited at: 9th May 2003 16:47
Unfortunately that wouldn't be a much useable model(would prob. range from 3000 to 30000) and eventhough he could probably get a lowpoly one from polycount.com,I'm sure he's feeling better doing it himself...As he should do for UVMapping and painting,just gotta ask your dang questions even here and you'll be amazed how much you underestimated people here...There are programmers-modelers as there are modelers-programmers.

Max has lots of good texturing tools just gotta explore them.

Btw I don't know the Enterprise much,in fact thanks God I don't ,but you sure could align that disc mesh with the bottom hull using the 'align' tool...Right now you look like you used the snap settings which may have been falsely led by uncentered pivots,so before you align them,go in the hierarchies tab and click 'affect pivot only' then click 'center to object',then align both properly and adjust they're offsets from each other,voila flush placing.

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 15:53
The mesh is only 1802 polys and i did use the align tool, i do want to texture it my self but im having a hard time with maxes texturing tools and cant find any decent tutorials, i was not actually planning on using this in a game just practicing my 3d to get a better understanding of how max works and different methods of modelling, i have seen some of the models you are talking about firesea and they are excellent quality but i think with enough practice and hard work i can do better.

Thanx for your comments though!

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 16:12
The way I'd do it is uv map the object, then find a whole lot of relevant reference pics of the original enterprise about the net, and cutout,scale, rotate, skew those images so they fit into the template sections of the uvmap template bitmap. Then on a new layer clean the textures up and use a lot of eydropper tool to grab colors from the original and a lot of copy/paste/rotate to replicate any sections you don't need to redraw(actually the clever thing to do is position overlap the uv's for any duplicate parts of the texture, but that's another story... Anyhow, you endup redrawing most of the original parts, but using the original pics to grab colors/proportions from

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 20:17
i'd see about getting some of those Reference pictures to actual model from ... i used to have something called the "Star Trek:Technical Manual" or something - had side/front/rear/top veiws of all of the starships from TOS.
no doubt someone has actually put them on the net by now (you know how nerds are trying to make technically correct sites)

as most of the original enterprise was just like a matter of a creme colour with a few black outlines for detail & yellow bulges for phasers + the red things at the front of the nessels - its simple to just UVmap the major sections and simply colour the rest

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Siege Delux
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 16:14
Hey, i have a problem. I have 3ds max studio but i cant use it, it needs internett connection or somthing.

Did you stumbel on this problem?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 03:36
mine works fine without a net connection, unless i want to register it ... which it only take a min to do (and if you've registered once then you can call for a free activation key from Discreet)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Siege Delux
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 12:22
Yes, i got 3d max studio to work. But it is the 3.1 releas version.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 14:08:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 14:08:06