Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Nominate your favourite CD burning software.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 14:45
Hiya!

I've used several CD burner apps, and they each have their individual uses, but what's everyones faves and why?

My favourite is Easy CD Creator.
It let's me make .mp3 compilations for my DVD/CD player and even burn .mpegs into lovely DVD compatible CD's - I recently got may own music and 3DS-Max created AVI movie onto a CD and onto my TV - it only took about 20 minutes to suss it out. Plus the way it works and simplicity of it makes it easier for non-technical people (like my fiance, who is forever stealing my CDR's!).

Van-B
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 14:58
i havent really experimented... i use nero and incd because it came with it and i think they are crap.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 15:24
I use clone for copying.

I use Nero for everything else.

Trouble with Nero is when I wanna make VCD and the file is an AVI Nero converts to MPeG but doesn't keep aspect ratio but converts to full screen (which makes the film look naff). I have to convert to MPG with another program then make my VCD with nero.
Does Easy CD encode AVI's to MPG and does it let you keep aspect ratio?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 15:30
favourite: Roxio EasyCD
technically best: Goldenhawk CDRWIN
simplist: CloneCD

the only one around however i know that will suit ALL cd-writer/cd-rewriter/dvd-ram/dvd-rewriter drives is EasyCD 5 & 6
all the rest seem to choke without specific drivers
took me 2days to get CDRWIN up and running with my Cd-ReWriter and mine was one that is actually on the compatibility list.
Alot of CD Systems are like that.

I think WinXP's builtin Writing technology is pretty good too though, not for backing up current CDs but for making personal Music/Movie/Data CDs it is pretty good, especially with Media Player Series9 - they do make an awesome combination.

just my opinion of these things ofcourse, but over the past week i think i've used them all now lol - so i think its a pretty fair assesment from someone who was just winging it (kinda like an idiots guide to CD Writing Software )

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 16:06
Ive moved onto DVd - r and DVD - rw

cds are so floppy disk

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 16:29
neuro and incd

Also i use the softwaare that came with me DVD-RW for making DVD's, but it is not installed and icannot find the CD so i sharnt tell ya.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 16:36
I go for Nero and CloneCD... Not that I clone CD's of course...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 16:43
nero - it works and never crashes and it came with the drive.

or cdrecord with http://cdrtoaster.sourceforge.net/
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 16:45
Alcohol 120% for copying.

Nero for CD authoring.

Nero isn't as easy to use as some other programs, but it is far more powerful than Easy CD and it doesn't interfere with other programs, as many burning progs do.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_101.zip
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 17:33
Roxi Easy CD creator 5 platignum, I actualy have the full Nero 5 burning rom as well but the packet writer (something I make a lot of use of) for Nero is ...er...very poor , always spent most of it`s time claiming it had a fatal write error, "backup your CD and reformat", yeah! right!, so I switched to Roxio, never gives me any problem and detects the media speed correctly too, something that seemed beyond Nero`s abilities, IMO I suspect the only reason Nero is so popular is it`s claimed ability of being able to backup protected disks , Easy CD creator is rock solid and has spotted every drive I ever bought (Nero doesn`t know what a Rioch mp7240a is and needed a download for a Philips m700)

Mentor.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 18:18
if you want to get around protected CD's in EasyCD its actually amazingly simple - you can either get the official plugins from the companies that do these CD (for example Macrosoft have Safedisc/FLEXlm/C-Dilla protection DLLs for reading & writing protected CDs) ... however if you can't get the official versions then there is program called Daemon Tools, which runs in the background and automatically subsides the protection enhancing the CD's weak sectors, and allowing 1:1 copying of the protected areas of several forms of protection.

i've never had a problem using either method with any PC-CD yet.
personally i think Nero is an overhyped load of crap, especially as it doesn't recognise half of my writers and i also get similar fatal write errors. Apart from the readily availability of plugins (and cracks) for it, i don't understand what is so good about it.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 18:49
I only ever use Nero for makin Dreamcast discs, it's good for advanced stuff like that, but I absolutely detest the way works. When you open Roxio, it's like - "Hello, what sorta CD you after mate?", very neat little program, even the label maker is quite good. Nero's .wav editor is better though, in fact it's a remarkably usefull app. It let's you load and edit and save .mp3 files, I bleep out all the swears and make CD's for the local McD's - Nero wave editor is great for that.

Once I get that Yamaha CDRW I have my eye on, I'll need to use Nero - it has unused space imaging, so you can draw lovely 7-bit greyscale pictures and burn them onto the CD - sorta like a cheap hologram!.

Van-B
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 19:36
"if you want to get around protected CD's in EasyCD its actually amazingly simple - you can either get the official plugins from the companies that do these CD (for example Macrosoft have Safedisc/FLEXlm/C-Dilla protection DLLs for reading & writing protected CDs)"

That is utter rubbish, in addition to the factual innaccuracies, the company is called Macrovision. SafeDISC is only allowed to be implemented in factories.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_101.zip
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 20:00
Won't daemon tools work with all burning software?

@ vanb
So you could label the disks by writeing in unused space around the edge of the disk?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 20:10
Martyn do u use record now for dvds?

I use toast for cds on the mac if needed
and easy cd creator 4 / nero5 / cdrwin 3+ for pcs

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 20:38
Adaptec / Roxio Easy CD Creator like Van

I'm glad they took that annoying office assistant-like creature out of the new version

You are the th person to view this signature.
Programmers don't die, they just Gosub without return....
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 20:54
I now use Incd and neuro for the data ones, and sonic my DVD for making movie ones.

Incd is for the RW ones

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 22:51
"however if you can't get the official versions then there is program called Daemon Tools, which runs in the background and automatically subsides the protection enhancing the CD's weak sectors, and allowing 1:1 copying of the protected areas of several forms of protection."

Sorry to say this, but that is incorrect as well. It doesn't enhance the CD's weak sectors, it uses an image of the CD to EMULATE the protection, it has a dummy SCSI driver and when the software reads the virtual DVD drive, Daemon-Tools emulates the behaviour of a real drive (eg: Giving a read-error if a bad sector is found).

It doesn't allow 1:1 copying either, it simply makes it possible to play the game without the original CD if you can't or don't want to produce a 1:1 copy.

DAEMON-Tools works with all known copy protections except Star-Force 3 (a very, very clever protection), but apparently one or two people have had luck even there. Daemon-Tools goes hand-in-hand with BlindWrite and Alcohol, separate pieces of software which can produce the images (though CloneCD can do this as well), and can also produce a file containing data about the physical structure of the CD, for emulation of newer physical-structure based protections such as SecuROM v4.8, CDCops and Star-Force.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 23:53
you know rob you can be an annoying smarmy **** sometimes
thought from what you've written lemme guess, someone's told you how it works? because it has alot more features and tools than what i just on the surface.

and yes it does work with other copiers, CDRWIN/BlindWrite/CloneCD/EasyCD - however it does not work with EZCD or Nero (even though it states it does, it crashs XP/2000/.Net/ME and quite horribly too leaving 2.5Mb of bad sectors each time you try)

and so what if it is Macrovision not Macrosoft, i don't particularly care what the hell they're called they're owned by Mircosoft so really at the end of the day thats who they are and its not like it makes any sodding difference on the products they make.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 00:19
Raven, I have continued this dialog in private with you.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 00:44
To answer Van-B's initial poll:

If you...

want something quick and easy but not massively flexible, go for EASY CD.

want something more flexible but don't mind a slightly longer learning curve, go for NERO

want something just to copy discs, go for CLONECD or ALCOHOL 120%

want extreme control over burning, go for CDRWIN or FIREBURNER

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 01:35
My fave is Roxio.. ummm... easy cd creator 5 platinum. Very easy and nice.
Nero 5 & 6 are pretty good too (think it's 6 on my new one). And CloneCD seemed ok, but a bit empty on features.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 03:09
the dialog APPEARs to me to be on the forums... hardly what i'd call private - there is never a call to try and a smartarse about things.

EasyCD is a very flexible product, and its only those who don't use it who ever say otherwise. Both EasyCD and Nero work primarily on plugins because from the start they're both very limited in thier abilities without them.
However i've yet to see a Nero plugin which is a)as simple as an EasyCD one, b)as STABLE as an EasyCD one or c)as fully featured as an EasyCD one...

if you need technical copying then you get CDRWIN as that has more low level features than Nero will ever have (and still its a damn sight easier to use) - if you need a good allround copyer then you use EasyCD
Nero is overhyped and unreliable, i have 4 CDRW and 2 DVDRW/DVDRAM drives ... only the Sony drive works with Nero even that isn't perfectly (or at the speeds it is designed to handle)

EasyCD has never had a problem with ANY of my drives, neither has CloneCD ... and CDRWIN worked perfectly after installing thier ASPI on all drives (the adaptec made let the techical/SCSI drives be recognised)

personally even if Nero was technically better the fact that it is so damn'd incompatible with most of my hardware and i've heard this time and time again from friends, would make me not care how technically advanced it was.
It's like having a car which is can go over 300mph and changes every aspect of diving for the users comfort, cept one major flaw was there was not access to veiw what is going on outside ... would you still get the car?

its like people suggesting that Lite-On is a good make of Cdrom and DvD ... when almost everyone i know experiences that thier lenses get dirty quickly, they can't react to speed properly and hang the system they're used on for upto 2seconds when you insert and eject a cd.
add to this this horrible in accuracy when reading data which can cause perfectly fine CD to read & run but end up with corrupt data.
the drives are the cheapest on the market, but you get what you pay for ... and i think this is perfectly true of Nero.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 16:56
I never got on with Easy CD, must be the name Easy CD, Easy CD, Easy CD.

See what i mean?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 18:18
Martyn,
No fun if it's too easy ehh? - I know what you mean, I usually avoid dumbed down software, but CD burning is the reason why a lot of non-technical people buy PC's, so they have to have easy options I suppose.

Winch,
Yeah, that's the idea - it looks pretty cool, you just draw your image in an art package and burn it on the outer edge of the CD. Using coloured CD's, you could make some cool pop-art stuff, friends pictures burned onto a CD with their favourite song - would make cool and unusual gifts .

Van-B
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 18:29
Sonic foundry Cd architect for Audio CD's
Clone Cd for "backups"
Easy Cd creator for general backups and rewrites.

LG DVD/CDR/CDRW drive

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 20:24
Nero and NTI

Dazzy
Athlon 2600, 1gb pc2700 ram, 160gb HD, 128mb GeF FX, DVD RW, Audigy 2.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 22:31:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 22:31:00