Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Work permits/Visa (US)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 20:25
Hi all

Can anyone give me a headsup on how, where and what to do to get started in appling for a visa/work permit for the states.

At this stage it is only an idea, but I would like a heads up if I do decide to take a year or so in the US.

Thanks in advance
Dazzy
Athlon 2600, 1gb pc2700 ram, 160gb HD, 128mb GeF FX, DVD RW, Audigy 2.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 22:37
http://www.us-immigration.org/

for working you'll want a 4year perminant/work visa, $105 (£72) for the registration forms... i'd make sure before applying for this one that you don't have ANY crimial record else you WILL be declined i can assure you, especially right now.

you'll also have to get your prospective employer to validate that you will have work when you get there.
else you should go for a temporary 6-12months visa which allows you to work part-time until you've been in the country 6months then you can go onto working fulltime $75 (£45)

even with a clean record right now this isn't the simplest of tasks to perform, and i'd STRONGLY suggest you have someone who already lives within the states to be able to vouch for you (remember they must have known you for more than 2years)
you'll probably end up going down to the American Embassy/Immigration office in London or i think there is also one in Manchester not entirely sure.

easiest way to get over is with a Student Visa, all you have to do is take a single year of college to keep it valid. If your clean for more than a year you can then apply for an extension which will just be checked off (once you finally can get into the immigration office - blasted hyper beuraucratic system lol)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 23:21 Edited at: 9th May 2003 23:21
While on the topic, how do ya apply for one to work in UK?
kinda like one of my oversea mate was asking for some info on it.

(oh yeah, i dun think he's got a criminal record! LOL!)

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 23:28
http://www.ukimmigrationagency.com/

cheers.

Mentor.

ps: if he happens to be in the medical proffesion getting in won`t be the problem, getting out will be

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 23:42
lmao... thats true, military or medical you get special allowances to move between countries - oftenly free of charge.
the same kinda deal applies only if he is wanting to come in i'd suggest he did is VERY SOON. The government right now is in alot of termoil about immigration, particularly from people of Arabic backgrounds ... but they're going to be doing a total clamp down soon on all immigrate, from what i hear almost to the point where unless you already have work lined up here you will not be given a visa.
i think it probably has something to do with the fact we have over 20x what all the other governments have for immigration at the moment, most of which are people who end up working illegally or something and from what i know they're afriad that the British National Party will start becomming more and more popular if they don't do something pretty bloody drastic.

although i don't agree with these british version of the nazi's the fact remains over 200,000 imigrants are either taking jobs which should be filled by british citizens or visa immigrants - but when most who are comming in are doing so without visa's and taking the jobs which are hardly in huge supply and taking benifits from the state ... sorry but its a good point that at what point would the government if without the threat of the BNP actually have taken action?
i'm all for helping other people, but as far as stuff like this is concerned the american's look after thier own first - and i think its about time that the Brits started doing the same, quite frankly our economy just can't handle it ... let alone our healthcare which is currently overrun as is.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 00:07
Raven:

Quote: "unless you already have work lined up here you will not be given a visa."

I dun understand this part. U mean 'unless they already got an offer here', or 'unless they are working here since before'?

Mentor: Cheers dude

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 00:18
yeah the idea is that you are needed to do a job

The comapny your are going to work for must prove that on-one in the country can do the job you can do.

I know someon who went to canada to be a IT Tech, he got refuesd, but he had special training in deep sea diving pressure sickness revival. and only 2 other people in canada have the q. so he got let in so he can be called in special cicumstances. Thing is he lives 3 hours from the sea, even then it is not deep enough to get sick, but he got in and that is all that matters.

Job title - IT Tech and Deep Sea Pressure Sickness Rival Expert

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 03:25
Thankz Martyn!

so basically, its like applying for a normal job, except in another country:

"if u can do the job (with qualifications + experience + the company wants u), then u have a 50/50 chance that the country will alow u to get in"

thats my understanding rite now

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 05:00
actually the point is that you have them sign for you to say, "yes we've hired this person so they're not going to sponge off the state" kinda deal
oftenly you'll come in on a temp visa (holiday) - have a nice vacation whilst organising your possible job and then apply whilst in the country with who is going to give you a job right there (more oftenly you'll take the interview then and they'll start the ball if they like you) - your more likely to be accepted that way
also if the company who wants to hire you has done a Background check on you first, this oftenly can also help to show that you're not some bomb welding terrorist

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 05:10
Quote: "also help to show that you're not some bomb welding terrorist "

LOL!

Yup, that definitely had me clear on the matter. And cool idea too about the temp visa. Thankz man!

Hmm.. wondering if my mate is asleep on the other side of the world..

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 05:58
You normally get them at your school. Guidance counselor. You show them some proof of employment (you need to show what job you're going to get), and they hand you a nice lil permit.

If you're under 14 you need paren't permission.

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 06:04
My older freelance agency would handle most of the paperwork for me if We had to travel OS to a job.

I was offered one in singapore but I dont think I like some of the quirky laws over there so I didnt take the job.

Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 20:57
Thanks guys

Dazzy
Athlon 2600, 1gb pc2700 ram, 160gb HD, 128mb GeF FX, DVD RW, Audigy 2.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 13:07:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 13:07:15