Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Souls of Aemos Divided Tests - WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 00:16 Edited at: 12th Jul 2007 00:16
sure, that sounds like a good idea

except i like Ctrl better than Alt

Data
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 01:53
just when I think this is dead it jumps back to life! Cool.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 02:01 Edited at: 13th Jul 2007 02:07
o its not dead at all... i didn't post about the server working 100% the server currently allows 10 players(adjustable with a variable ) and i have tested it on 4 different computers outside of my network with no problems. most players online at one time so far is 4 with no detectable lag...

i was going to release it on here soon. but i needed to add a few more things to it so that it isnt too confusing to use. and since its just chat and a matrix and some cubes, i was going to combine the environment test with the multiplayer test, then release it. but i have to make a low-graphics version of the environment test first, because not many people here could run it with full shaders and such.

i didnt post about the multiplayer progress because i wanted it to be more of a surprise

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2007 00:26
Quote: "sure, that sounds like a good idea

except i like Ctrl better than Alt"

Ah,I dont mind that.I was just giving a general idea for you.

Quote: "i was going to release it on here soon. but i needed to add a few more things to it so that it isnt too confusing to use. and since its just chat and a matrix and some cubes, i was going to combine the environment test with the multiplayer test, then release it. but i have to make a low-graphics version of the environment test first, because not many people here could run it with full shaders and such.

i didnt post about the multiplayer progress because i wanted it to be more of a surprise"

Good to hear that too.I'd be more then happy to give it a try.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2007 06:16 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2007 03:30
hey, i was originally going to wait until next week until i made the alpha multiplayer/environment test, but i was really bored today and said "ah, what the heck, i'll do it today!"

so, here it is:
REMOVED

except, i only have the server up everyonce in a while... im not sure how im going to keep it up. maybe ill get a cheap computer to run 24/7 as the server? i don't know... but ill have the server online for the next 2 hours or so.

just so you know, it will ask you for a username, just make anything up, it doesn't matter. then, it will ask if you want shaders; if you have a really good graphics card, then go ahead and try it out. (with shaders on, everything is overly bright and with shaders off, everything is overly dark; im trying to fix that ) and after you enter that, it will start loading, and it takes a little while. and if it just crashes without an error message, it means that you couldn't connect to the server. im still working out all of the error message things, so just bear with me.

EDIT: almost forgot the controls :
Arrow Keys - Move
Enter - initiate chat(you will know its on when a little bar appears in the lower left-hand corner)
Mouse - Look Around

EDIT2: incase some people are confused, the white stuff is just a plain with no texture that represents where the water will be... im still experimenting with water textures

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2007 06:17 Edited at: 17th Jul 2007 17:36
and here is a screenshot of it running with shaders turned on:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Wohoo! I get longer play time!

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2007 17:36 Edited at: 18th Jul 2007 05:33
ok, i think i might get a semi-dedicated server soon. my sister is getting my old computer(since i just built one) and i can use her old computer.(i know... its really old, but with a harddrive wipe and pure dedication to the server, it should run fine.) but i wont have it on during the night. and i haven't figured out the exact times for it.

but, for now, i am using my pc as the server, so it will almost always be on during the weekends, usually during weekdays except mondays and wednesdays...

The server is now OFFLINE
sorry, early shutoff today. ill probably have it back on later though.
Date: 7/17/07
Pacific: online from 7:35 A.M. - 9:35 A.M.
London: online from 3:35 P.M. - 5:35 P.M.
Pacific: online from 3:00 P.M. - 7:30 P.M.
London: online from 11:00 P.M. - 3:30 A.M.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "London: online from 3:35 P.M. - 5:35 P.M."

Had to do that didn't you! LOL

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 01:27 Edited at: 20th Jul 2007 01:28
well, ya, saying that the majority of the forum dwellers here live in europe (including you)

ill turn the server on if you want, cause right now im running some tests so im not going to leave it on

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Nah! You can switch it on or off. I don't care.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 03:42 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2007 03:45
Big Update

i made a few changes to the client making it faster (15 FPS to 20 FPS, w00t!)

also, ive decided not to turn on the server until i get one that will be dedicated. this might take 1-2 more weeks.

also, soon to be added to the client, ive been working on combat and the sky. (totally unrelated, but who cares!) i dont have any tests available for them yet, but here are some screenshots of the sky system in action:

Top to bottom: Day, Sunset, Night

the clouds change in real time so that when you come back ten minutes later, they've changed!

soon to be added to the sky system:
-sun
-stars at night

currently working on for the combat:
-remaking old combat system for more realistic and easier controls. more attack possibilities. (used to be just swing and stab; now there will be more advanced and fancy moves to pull off when this system is finished)

also, sorry that progress seems so slow... even though summer is a break time, i spend a lot of it playing video games with my friends, going to a summer college course, and soon to go on vacation...

Attachments

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 02:51
Keep up the work. Its looking good

http://www.freewebs.com/zornoxstudios/
Learning C++ thanks DGDK
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 23:44
thx, will do

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2007 05:31
the clouds should change faster

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2007 17:44 Edited at: 11th Aug 2007 19:04
well, the only reason they look like they didn't change much is because i sped up the time on the sky, but not the clouds just so i didn't have to wait 24 in-game hours. when you are playing, you will see them move and change quite noticeably

EDIT: im going to start working on some creatures since the combat system is coming along good. at first, as you may have noticed in my old Deathquest posts, i had giant bees as low-level enemies. but now i feal like they are sort of unoriginal as final fantasy and lots of other RPGs do things similar, where they just make giant insects and rodents. i need some ideas for low-level creatures that should be easy to kill for beginners.

so far, here is a short list so that you can grade what type of creatures i need:

Low-level:
Game(Rabbits, Deer, ect.)
[Insert Here]

Medium-level:
Goblins
Trolls
Imp-like creature that i have yet to name.
Ent-like creature that i have yet to name.

High-level:
Dragons
Krakens
Sea Serpents
Undead

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 23:16 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2007 23:19
i've been working on this quite a bit lately. trying to sqeeze as much work in before school starts (tomorrow ) and here are 2 screenshots from separate tests:

in this one, i have been working on the menus and inventory quite a bit. as you can see, i have the map from Deathquest(with unnoticeable changes to it, but it works better now). and the inventory has been completely revamped so that items are easier to handle and organize.

Attachments

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 23:18 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2007 23:21
and here is a new pic of the environment test! i put in LOD objects so that i can view trees from 3x farther than before! and i fixed somethings so that the FPS was increased.

soon, i will merge these two tests, create another test for creature AI, and then after that, BETA!

Attachments

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome!

Kiefer Greenspan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 01:10
gj
let's see an online beta heh
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 18:17
@ Deathead:

Why do you now have the Butterfingers avatar?

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Inspire: I wanted to change it back to this avatar because I used it when I first Joined.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 20:03
I already forgot what your previous one was.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 23:40
looking impressive, keep up the great work.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 19:45 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2007 02:46
Update: i decided to start working on buildings and take a break from the inventory and combat and stuff. so, here is a screenshot of the building editor ive been working on for the last 2 weeks. i will use it to make all of the cities in the game.

also! players will be able to claim small plots of land all around the world and use this same editor to construct whatever they wish! houses, walls, forts, castles, anything!

and, i might release a demo of the building editor once i make enough media to play around with.(so far i only have the bricks and palisades as seen in the screenshot)

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 01:09
woah... just found this thread! Amazing work, especially the building editor.

I did something similar regarding combat (but far simpler): you had five animations for a sword. Left slash, right slash, upswing, downswing and stab. You looked around with the mouse (like normal), but if you clicked the mouse button while turning, it would detect which direction you had just turned and would play the relevant up/down/left/right animation. So, to slash left, you'd turn left a little, click the mouse while still turning, and you'd slash left. You'd stab with the right mouse button. Although you seem to have your own system pretty well established (and what a nice, interesting system it is!) maybe you could solve any swinging/looking problems like this (ie. control both functions with the mouse, rather than compromising).

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 02:11
thx, ill keep your suggestions in mind

El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 10:41
holy poop, dude, your mmo is looking identicle to a plan i came up with a few yrs ago. im interested, i would ask to join you if i wasnt busy in another team project..

http://notmybase.com
All my base are not belong to anyone.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 23:31 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2007 22:55
wow, once again i haven't posted in about a month well, i have been working on The Souls of Aemos nonetheless...

and here is something for you to actually try!

This is the Factions Test that tests multiple different teams or "factions" of guys who don't like each other, hence, they fight. This test is very non-graphical with the guys represented as spheres and the flags(their forts or bases) are just cubes. When a guy dies, he respawns. Also, if a guy gets hurt, he may or may not flee to an allied fort to heal. The list on the left of the screen shows a few of the soldiers' health(ranges from 0 to 150).

Try it out and tell me what you think!
Download it here: http://files.filefront.com/Aemos+Factionsexe/;9108320;/fileinfo.html

And some rules that are generally good to follow:
- The speed shouldn't exceed 0.6, or the soldiers will not be able to fight effectively (this is a minor bug; i test using speeds 0.2-0.4)
- The number of soldiers must be less than or equal to the number of citizens
- the number of flags must be 5 or more or the guys from certain factions won't be able to respawn

edit: forgot to add, this doesn't have timer-based movement, so just change the number of guys to fit the speeds of your computer

edit2: also, don't worry about the white square, its just a collision testing thing.

ill post a screenshot in a bit

EDIT: screenshot!

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 21:26
Looks intresting as always!

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 22:55 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 20:36
thanks also, i just uploaded a new version that allows you to turn off respawning so you can see who is the winner

EDIT: added a screenshot showing 500 soldiers per faction with respawn turned off

EDIT2: I just wanted to test to see how many guys the faction test could hold. and it ran 1000 guys per faction (so 4000 total) at 1 FPS, lol

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 13:03
Nice, It runs 400 Civilians and 400 Soldiers at ~15 FPS.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 19:01
well, just so u understand, its not 400 citizens AND 400 soldiers if those are the numbers you inputed. basically, the number of soldiers is the number of citizens that become soldiers. if you want soldiers AND regular citizens, you would do something like this:

800 citizens
400 soldiers

thanks for trying it out

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 19:55
Ah, Hmm... runs fine at 800/800 too.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 16:56
cool! im curious, what are your pc specs? also, im going to try and optimize the code to support more guys.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 23:25
Rather high.

4GB of DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 8400 FX (Just broke my good 8800... Hmm, It's cooler died... Better get a new one from the factory.)
And a Dual Core Processor which currently runs around 3.2 Ghz

I only used 1 core for the program, I rather keep my second for my little server program's i'm working with a few friends of mine.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 01:09
nice system! mines isn't quite as good:

2Gb DDR2 RAM
nVidia 8800 GTX
Dual Core 2.4 Ghz

so the factions test should run about the same for us.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 15:57
Indeed, It should run about the same.

Atleast, whenever i get my new Video card from the factory. The 8400 is pretty crappy...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 22:04:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 22:04:32