Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Need some help testing a CGI prog that uses QBasic for a script language

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 07:00
:-s Geez... Long time since I've posted here.

Very different.

However, I do recall the DBers being some of the more interesting folks on the net, so I figured I'd ask about this here:

What I have developed is a VB6 prog that allows you to use QBasic's interpreter for a CGI script language (similar to Perl).

If you have a server with CGI access, or are at least comfortable deploying Apache on your own computer and using the 127.0.0.1 reserved address for testing, I'd welcome your comments.

Download the ZIP file from http://jcprogs.50megs.com/cgi4qb.htm

Turn on your pop-up blocker, because it is a free host.

Follow the instructions from the web page to install it on your server.

I have tested it running Apache2 on 2000 Pro SP3 with App Compatibility update, and also on 98 first edition.

I could use comments particularly on whether it will work with XP and with 95. If there are any bold Linux users, you will need to use WINE.

If you have any questions, let me know at eighttruths@yahoo.com.

Thanks.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 21:05
hummm, i cannot download.

Email it to me and i will put it on my server. Or on a free one somewhere.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 21:07
PS, if it any good i may be able to sponcer you...

May be a good investment for my company ...

Like zend did all them years ago with PHP.....

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 22:57
I am game for anything. Right now it is just an experiment based on two challegnes:

1. You can't do that! Granted, I'm cheating with VB doing the gateway work (could probably get environment variables in QBasic, but I am more comfortable with 32-bit prog handling the gateway).

2. If Perl's so easy, why not use QBasic?!

Whatever the case, since everyone who knows anything knows QBasic or something really close to it, and copies of it are easy to find, why not use it? It is just that one degree easier than Perl.

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 11:24
how does it work.

Does it catch the printed output?

Just wondering

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 01:34
It should be pretty obvious. Essentially, there are two files that act as go-betweens for the VB and QB progs. CGI.IN passes the info to QB.EXE; CGI.OUT passes the info to CGI4QB.EXE. The real art of it is going to be tracking multithreads for heavy usage.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 19:30:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 19:30:58