Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / FPS Game - Aftershock, my Dark Physics compo entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 07:05 Edited at: 11th Mar 2007 07:06
Hey guys, for no particular reason I thought I'd post this game here. I'm not sure how many people downloaded it from the Newsletter, I'll post it and see what you guys think.

http://www.cashcurtis.com/files/DarkPhysics-CashCurtisV1.zip

See the Youtube video of the actual game...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT6vKswMONc

Or a short video that showcases some of the physics in the game...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDP6GfNZk0I

http://www.cashcurtis.com/files/DarkPhysics-CashCurtisV1.zip

There is a lot that could be improved in the game. It would benefit from better lighting and shaders. I've also improved lots of the components that I'm using in Geisha House, I just haven't added them in yet. Especially the debris management system, it is inadequate in this game. I doubt that I will until my next FPS project.

Full instructions are included. You can blow pretty much everything up, you can also drive vehicles around. Crash head on into another one for a horrific display of burning metal and bouncing tires. It also has a night/day cycle, if you play long enough the sun will start to rise. If you win then it will rate you on your shot to kill ratio.

I haven't looked at this since the compo, but it was a bit of fun for me to play. The problem I think is that it doesn't really grab your attention fast enough. It has tons of features though.

Come see the WIP!
Chris Franklin_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 12:28
Woah nice vids, looks great I'll download later

DMTsukasa
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks really nice, but I couldn't get it to run. I tried downloading everything you said to in the readme and the game just crashes when it is about 3/4 of the way loaded. I'd love to play it, so if you have any recommendations, I'll try them and get back to you on how awesome it is.
Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 15:34
Nice! Are you going to make it better, or it's a finished project???

Make games, not war.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 16:15
@DMTsukasa -
That's terrible What are your system specs? It takes a pretty decent computer. I've seen it crash like that one someone's computer because they didn't have enough ram.

Do other DBP projects work okay for you?

Have you run any other DarkPhysics programs?

@Accoun -
No plans at the moment to work on that, I'm so busy with Geisha House right now. But, it is an FPS engine ready for anything that I want to do. Like I said, I've greatly improved many of the engine components. I also have some other additions that I'd like to make.

The next FPS I make will be REALLY intense. I'm going for Scarface intense. I've got a rough game plan ready, it's just a matter of when I guess.

Thanks guys for taking a look at this game!!!

Come see the WIP!
DMTsukasa
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, DBP games tend to run fine on my computer, though I am lacking in RAM. In fact, I can usually run FPSC games fine as well. I believe I have run DarkPhysics programs before. Ah well. If you think of anything, let me know.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 17:11
When I run this I get a lot of problems and the game becomes incomprehensible. One thing that happens is that the game never actually achieves full screen. It opens maximized, by my start bar is still visible. I have no idea what could be causing that, but no other DB game does it. In game I get a pretty low FPS (not sure what it is) and everything is very jerky and slow. Moving around, the physics seemed a little out of whack. I went near the helicopter and suddenly shot into the air. And the health bar looked like it was in the wrong place becaue it was overlapping other things on the HUD. I also noticed that the dumpsters that you spawn next to were constatnly bouncing up and down in sync, just a few units up and down but very visible.

I'm running a Radeon 9800 with a gig of RAM and a 2.4 GHz, and I haven't had a problem with other Dark Physics games before. I'm sorry man, but this game was unplayable for me.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 18:23
I quite like it. It's the first time I've seen cars used in a DBP FPS, and it really gives the game a more realistic feeling somehow. Maybe it's because there's something going on in the background while you kill the bad guys.

However, I do see a couple of problems. Firstly, why no strafing? I can't think of any modern FPS that doesn't have strafing. Secondly, why do the enemies seem to have 100% accuracy? That means you can't dodge gunfire. Maybe it's just my imagination.

I'm also a little confused as to why the helicopter ended up upside down when I walked into it.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 02:31
@QuothTheRaven -
I sure don't understand why it's running so poorly on your computer. You have a fast computer with enough ram. Those symptoms that you are describing happen to me after I've played through a couple of times and there are a TON of body parts and other debris on the ground. The laws of gravity and space/time begin to warp and everything gets all jiggly.

Sadly, this game ran great before I added my hangar level. It was OBSCENE how much the FPS drop. It isn't particularly big or elaborate either, and it is broken up into a couple different objects. It happened right before the deadline for the compo and almost killed the project. I was able to add LiTs limb culling to the game and it saved it. It still suffers from that though.

Alquerian has a level editor that I was using before this. It includes lightmapping as well. That level ran great. At that time it still wasn't quite ready, so I jumped on 3DWS to finish the game. By the time I realized what was going on, it was too late.

@Benjamin -
Did you ride around and mow people down? I was quite pleased with the cars myself, I'm glad that you liked them

Hmm... strafing... to be quite honest, I don't play many FPSs. I played a couple years ago, and more recently I downloaded the trial of FPSC and filled a room full of girls and shot them all. I don't have any problems...

I've added that to my MUST DO list. I will absolutely add strafing to the next incarnation.

Quote: "Secondly, why do the enemies seem to have 100% accuracy?"

Probably because they do. That was quite an oversight, wasn't it? The guys firing the blue disruptor weapons don't, they have 75% accuracy. I coded a couple different weapon handling systems, and bullets were the first so I guess I never went back and improved it. Less accuracy + strafing will probably be a good combination.

The helicopter has issues. Mass is broken in DP right now. If you give an object lots of mass, it just acts stupid. I should have turned it into an immobile, but still destructible, static object. That would have fixed that right up. It ended up upside down when you ran into it because I'm using a kinematic object to displace debris. It's great for small objects, but wacky for big ones. Since then I've actually coded in a work around for the problem, I simply disable the kinematic object if it collides with a big object. That's on my list too.

Come see the WIP!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 03:21
Quote: "Did you ride around and mow people down?"

Well actually I was trying to but they kept mowing me down..

After reading you say this I played again, shot a car until it stopped, then got in and mowed down some noobs. Quite nice, except the turning needs to be fixed so that it's more like a vehicle. Apart from that, it's cool the way you can destroy stuff by driving into it. The controls are a bit odd though, I'd prefer left/right to be a/d respectively, rather than using the arrow keys for turning.

Quote: "I don't have any problems... "

Oh you do have problems alright.

Quote: "That was quite an oversight, wasn't it?"

Quite. It kind of takes the skill factor away from it when you can't avoid shots at all (apart from if you hide).

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 04:33
If you drive over a dead body it will explode into chunks The same will happen if you shoot at a dead body.

The turning does need to be fixed. Part of the problem was that I changed it because this level is so enclosed I needed tighter turning, but it kind of messed up the feeling that I had before.

I appreciate the comments, I'll definitely fix those things in my next FPS

Come see the WIP!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 18:42
This looks quite amazing! I'll have to check it out later.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7950GT 512MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 1GB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Ugh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 04:57
The SS looks awsome. 70%, cant wait to play.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 01:01 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2007 20:23
I have two monitors, and I disabled my second monitor and the game ran considerably better and it was more playable. But it was still very jerky and hard to play. The quality/gameplay looked exactly like it did in the youtube video so I'm pretty sure it's running up to speed. The mouse seemed way too jumpy, like you would look around too fast or the mouse would jump over areas too easily. Not too sensitive, just really laggy. I think an FPS indicator would be really useful just to make sure it's playing at the right pace.

Also I think the minimap is crooked, as in something that's in front of you appears to the RIGHT of your minimap dot as opposed to above it. I could be wrong though, I didn't pay much attention to it. I agree with you that I think this game could have benefited from better lighting. A lot of times it was very hard to tell what the enemies were doing, I could never figure out if they were shooting at me or what and most of them just seemed to fire once then stand there but with a walk cycle going.

The physics, like the first time I tried to play, are still pretty wonky. The cars keep running into the walls when they turn corners, and the dumpsters keep bouncing up and down (shows up in the videos as well), and nothing really seems to have a sense of mass to it. The helicopter seems to be made out of plastic as one bullet sends it flying (I see you addressed that in a previous post). And walking around, if you walk up to something you jump on top of it instantly, like the helicopter or things inside the warehouse.

This is a nice start, but I think the gameplay could use a LOT of tweaking. I think you should spend some more time on fundamentals like strafing, improved mouselook, AI, as opposed to filling the game with effects.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 07:52:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 07:52:40