Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / V1.05 RC2 getting closer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 14:15
Well I'm finally getting an IP address, however it's still not an internal IP address it's my ISP address. But I was willing to give it a shot and use this address if it'll work.

My wife's machine and my machine (mine being the host), both read the same IP address. However I have forwarded the ports to my machine, so there shouldn't be a conflict. Start the host machine, go to join a game on my wife's computer, and it shows the hosted game in the list correctly. I hit the number 1 then enter, it starts to load then enters the level and I get the "Waiting to join..." message.

I've opened all the ports through the router, made sure all the firewalls where deactivated, and stuck the host machine into the DMZ (which as previously mentioned is putting it out there for the whole world.)

Am I still the only person having multiplayer problems?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 16:14 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 16:18
Are both computers on the same LAN by any chance? Because across a LAN you use the computer's LAN IP when joining. I think this is the likely case, unless you actually have two separate internet connections.

If Lee has simply changed it so that it always displays your internet IP in the server list, then when playing across a LAN you'll always have to enter the host's LAN IP manually. I don't see why hosts for a LAN game should need to put their IP address online - a simple broadcast packet across the network from the client would be sufficient for finding games on the LAN.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
pdidy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 16:35 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 17:52
1 who is your isp
2 linksys is crap sometimes ?
3 use a small d box instead of connecting to your linksys direct to other pc's
4 my d box asighns me ips in a range of 192.168.1 100 and 192.168.1 101 ect as an example
5 if you have a spare 10/100 on your pc conect any of the others to it ie a cable and allow sharing on the the first conection
6 see if you can conect to the net on second pc and if it asighns you an ip
7 see if you can conect to the game you are running mp game you created
8 then u can be sure it is a software problem
9 not all isps are the same.

please check here http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-202847.html

http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/f-72.html
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 16:58
@pdidy

That was one big jumbled mass of words. You could have tried to word that better, by using more commas and full stops to break up your sentences, so that the whole thing made sense.

I read up to the 'D link' part and gave up.

Just my advice.
pdidy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 17:03 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 17:21
ooops ther goes that illiterate keyboard again
sory my english isnt great i know but i try,
dam no more wine for me ? )
i am puting myself in detention tonight teach me to slow down,
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 19:13
I have a linksys router.While I am not using it at the moment when I was using it and had it set up properly I had no problem hosting and/or playing FPSC multiplayer games.
As I am not using a router at the moment I can host/play MP games.
It's just a matter of finding the game and somebody online to play with.

pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 19:41
FredP is going to end up beating me senceless at some point I'm sure. Nice to know I'm not the only one in the KY/IN area on here though.

Now both machines are on the same router, I haven't had any problems hosting any number of games, Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft, Starcraft, Age of Empires, various Jedi Knights, and even Teamtalk voice chat software (which is an alternative to those people wanting to add voice support to their games).

Since I've been setting up networks for years, and I've used D Link, Linksys, Belkin, and SMC networking products, I've found Linksys is the easiest to deal with.

I've tried to manually enter the IP address in this case 192.168.1.101 for the host, and still "waiting to join..." problem. But then again I've tried connecting to 100.100.100.100 and it did the same thing, so I've come to realize even though it's seeing the host, it's not communicating with it for two reasons.

1.) 100.100.100.100 is an invalid local IP address (and doubt a legit internet one, and i'm not going to check to see).
2.) I enabled the Windows firewall and had it report what is trying to get in and out of my host machine. The wife's machine (IP 192.168.1.100) never tried to make contact to any port (which I forwarded ports 1-65535 to my host). AND stuck the host in the DMZ. At this point I was basically saying "Every hacker no matter how stupid you are send me a virus". Still no hit from the wife's computer though.

pdidy, I'm not sure what you mean by a d box at all, since unlike some people have said Linksys tells you point blank what your IP address is, and even though they are set to dynamic, they are generally pretty static, even my PDAs don't have issues keeping the same IPAdress wirelessly.

I think I've covered everything, if I missed something just let me know, I'm running on two hours of sleep, and not even going to bother spell checking, I would probably kill myself because of the errors alone lol.

But thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions. And especially Fred for approving all my posts.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 20:22 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 20:28
If they are on the same router, then what I was saying applies. Port forwarding or the DMZ host option is not necessary as that simply routes incoming packets from the WAN. Are you sure the host's IP address is correct? On that computer open command prompt and type netstat, it'll tell you the computer's IP. Addresses on a local area network will change sometimes unless the machines specifically request a static IP from the router.

If you are typing the host's IP correct and you are still having trouble, it's most likely a firewall problem. Disable the firewalls on both machines and try again.

If still no luck, try pinging one machine from the other in command prompt. If not successful, then you have a problem.

Quote: "But then again I've tried connecting to 100.100.100.100 and it did the same thing"

Where did that address come from?

If you don't mind, could you perhaps upload an extremely simple game made with v1.5 so that I can test it on my network? I would do, except I don't have FPSC. I did have a v1.4 game working, but there might be something broken in the latest version.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
pdidy
Years of Service
User Offline
i am using linksys wirles G and it works great i have 3 pc.s
on wirles usb, 3 xbox 360 on cable conection from rear. now
but i had simular problems with this router and just changed it
and it was ok. i think mabie it could be a problem when saving the
config back to the router and setings not been saved,
the last one would not even let me set i back secure.
d box = dlink. have you tried geting a friend to try conect to
you .i was just sugesting you do a straight conect ie 10/100 from the network card to the other 10/100 pc to confirm both machines can comunicate and there is no other error just a process of elimination. i dont think anyone doubts your ability but understands you frustration. i hope you get it fixed soon.
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 22:40
Benjamin: I understand what your saying as far as not needing port forwarding and the DMZ on an internal game, but the game wasn't reporting the internal address, so I assumed when I selected game 1 it was going to connect via the internet, so I setup the router to allow that to happen.

I've check the router against the command prompt and various websites and programs people have said to use (just to make sure I didn't miss anything) and all the numbers are coming back correct. Neither machine has a firewall enabled during the tests (windows firewall is disabled too except for one test where I was trying to see if my wife's machine was trying to hit the host).

I can ping the machines back and forth without problems (which goes to pdidy's suggestion about seeing if the two machines can see each other).

The 100.100.100.100 IP address is made up, I wanted to see what errors the game gave me when it couldn't connect to a server. Since I doubt anyone is using that IP address, and if they are, I doubt they are hosting a FPSC game on it. But instead of errors it "connects" and tells me "Waiting to join..." message. Which is what it gives me when I manually enter the host internal or internet IP address.

pdidy: I haven't had any problems with saving any of the config settings with the router, and I have double checked to make sure it takes the settings after making changes, and it's never not stuck with the changes.

I don't have any spare routers laying around to test this with except a belkin which i couldn't get to forward ports (not sure why though).

As for a friend to try it, I've been trying to get it to work internally so I can play with my family. So even if I got a friend to get it to work, i would still have the same issue of not getting it to work on my network.

But if I understand the first part of your message, your using a Linksys Wireless G as well and got it to work, so if you can get the game I'm uploading to work, then I'll find me a new router (assuming this one is a waste).

Thanks again for the help guys. I hope this gets fixed soon too.

P.S. I've tried attaching the 21meg file twice using the browse button and it keeps erroring out. and once with the uploader applet and it tells me that the file is over the max limit.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 22:48 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 22:49
Quote: "but the game wasn't reporting the internal address"

That's because Lee changed it to report the internet address of the host regardless of whether they are on a LAN or not.

Quote: "The 100.100.100.100 IP address is made up, I wanted to see what errors the game gave me when it couldn't connect to a server."

None. I've seen the code, and there is absolutely no error reporting, which in my opinion is bad practice as it's extremely difficult to find out what is going wrong.

Quote: "I can ping the machines back and forth without problems (which goes to pdidy's suggestion about seeing if the two machines can see each other)."

It's rather strange that this works yet FPSC doesn't. Perhaps the host is unable to listen for data for some reason (port in use maybe). Another possible problem that can't be known due to no error reporting..

To test if there is perhaps a problem with your router I'll code a little test application to have the computers communicate using UDP packets.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 22:59 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 23:15
Well I would agree with you, that the port could be in use except I checked that by, shutting down EVERYTHING on both machines (except yahoo messenger on mine, which runs constantly) and checked the router log. It's not showing anything, now it's time to cry, ARGGGG ok, I'm going to play WoW for a while, need a break lol.

Correction, I checked the incomming, forgot to check the outgoing. The wife's machine, establishes a connection to 216.92.212.50 as soon as I start a game, traceing that IP and it leads to fpscreator.com. But once there it stops.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 10:15
Try these applications I have made. The server listens on UDP port 2303. Run the server on one machine, then run the client on another and type the server's IP address. Hit enter in the client to send a data packet.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 14:50
Received packet from 192.168.1.100:1618.

that's what it kicked back.

Stupid people are like Slinkies, it's fun to watch them fall down stairs. And some times you need to give them a push.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 15:00
It can't be a router problem then. Maybe Lee's somehow introduced another problem in the latest update.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
By the way when playing any game online you should not run any other programmes, especially messengers or downloading anything else your ping rate will suffer.
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 15:16
yeah i know, however not an issue when you can't get the game to play lol

Stupid people are like Slinkies, it's fun to watch them fall down stairs. And some times you need to give them a push.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 15:17 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 15:17
You sure you can't get that file size down to lower than 22MB if you reduce the size of all the images and take away anything unnecessary?

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
I've never tried to play an FPSC multiplayer game, whose game are you trying to use and how do I get a copy? I'd like to see if I can connect.
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 15:59
give me a few minutes and i'll post the archive to my site and just link it from there.

Fiberfrag
Years of Service
User Offline
I love the new patch.... Got all 6 levels rendered! Just can fire up any kind of multiplayer

Fiberfrag

pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 16:30
ok I have it posted, all it consists of is a single room with 2 characters no extra entities, and all from the core install+1.05 patch.

http://www.dragon-hunter.net/files/v105rc2_003.rar

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:09 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 17:10
OK thanks, downloaded it. When initially trying to connect to join a game, I got an error mentioning the possibility of a firewall being the cause of the problem, I then allowed the outgoing communication, then hosted a game instead.

Do you want to try to join?

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:14 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 17:14
Ok thanks, I downloaded it and tried it on two computers, with success. I really have no idea what your problem could be now I'm afraid.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:19 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 17:20
ok i'm about to tear apart my network and goto a just a regular switch so i'll be offline for a while, so i won't be able to try and join, but according to Komet's screenshot, the game is trying to make contact with rpscreator.com as well. Is there something I'm not understanding, as to why it's hitting FPSCs site first, because when I watch my wife's computer trying to reach the host, it seems to die on it way back to my host from FPSC's site.

I mean it doesn't appear to be a direct from client to host conection, it's going from cliet to FPSC back to host.

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Benjamin if you host a game I will try to join
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:24
Well Komet i don't want to ruin the game play experience for you, but it's really the 2nd person around the corner loses lol

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:30 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 17:31
Quote: "but according to Komet's screenshot, the game is trying to make contact with rpscreator.com as well"

Yes, to obtain the server list. This isn't necessary when playing on a LAN.

The actual game connection is direct.

Quote: "Benjamin if you host a game I will try to join"

Right now?

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:32 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 17:34
Does it correctly obtain the server list though? If we don't know then we should establish that.

pkburr02, I may have figured out what your problem could be. Which firewall programme do you use?

@ Benjamin... now would be a good time if you can?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:34
One sec, setting up the server. I'll post again when ready.

Quote: "Does it correctly obtain the server list though?"

I'm not sure what you mean, but the server list contains wrong information for LAN games. It used to only record the LAN IP, now it only records the internet IP.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:36 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 17:37
Ok I'm hosting, try now. (Don't expect any activity, I have to go do something right now).

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
pkburr02, when I installed your game and attempted to join a server I recall that my firewall asked for the application to be approved, it does that for every instance of any application.

I unapproved it then re-approved it then proceeded to connect, it failed and gave the error in the screenshot below.

I then reconnected and this time it went through and each time goes through now.

Attachments

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I connected to Benjamin's server no problem, there was an accident and he kind of died though see screenshot

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:52
Yes, of course there were several more accidents causing you to die.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:53
well i'm connection to Benjamin's hosted game as well with no problems, so it seems to be the return trip from FPSC's site to my host that's the issue, back to looking at ports and whatnot i guess, thanks for the help guys.

as of yet i haven't seen the pic, but i'm assuming you went through the door? lol

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:54
Quote: "so it seems to be the return trip from FPSC's site to my host that's the issue"

It shouldn't affect LAN games, as long as you enter the LAN IP of the server manually rather than choosing from the server list.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:55
or not lmao

i'm sure that's what the Valentine's day massicure looked like. Poor Benjamin.

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Erm... no, I'm not daft, look at the screenshot and you will get what I mean
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:56
I've tried manual IP entry, but still the same error as always. But even if that's the case the client couldn't connect to my host when I went through FPSCs site either.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 17:56 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 17:57
I do not exist for your amusement.

Quote: "I've tried manual IP entry"

You're absolutely sure you entered the correct IP address?

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Benjamin, do you know how to connect to view the server list outside of an FPSC game? Just curious.
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 18:01
Yes I entered the correct one, about 10 times. But i'm going to try it again here in a few, going to replace the router with a switch real quick and see what that leads to.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 18:06
Quote: "Benjamin, do you know how to connect to view the server list outside of an FPSC game?"

Yes, but it's necessary to encrypt the unique game ID a certain way and because I can't do this it's impossible for me to access it.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yes, but it's necessary to encrypt the unique game ID a certain way and because I can't do this it's impossible for me to access it."

Ah, OK.

P.S. Sorry for shooting you a few times, I know you're not existing just for my amusement, I got bored.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 18:17 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 18:18
Well it is the kind of game where you're supposed to shoot people.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 18:58
YES!!!!!!!! There is something wrong with my wireless router, I also have a wired linksys (which I replaced with the wireless one a while back) I plugged it in and everything's working great.

Internet firewall I don't know about perhaps? I don't know, I don't care, I can play now WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for being such a bother, but thanks for everything guys.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 19:04
Glad you've got it working.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
pkburr02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 19:12
Now off to learn how to make awsome MP maps. I am seriously one happy camper.

pdidy
Years of Service
User Offline
i think its a comon problem with the linksys v.2
thats why they sold them all of at a 3rd of the cost i think its a
firmware bug.
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, multiplayer seems to work well, I think I'll make a MP game myself now. I'm happy that you resolved your connection probs pkburr02.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 09:27:57
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 09:27:57