Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Has anybody written any 2d animation programs?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I really don't know how to program but I want to learn. I was toying around with the mousedraw example in DB.

I would like to create a 2d animation program sort of like Deluxe Paint on the Amiga. But I couldn't even get the mousedraw example to stop connecting the lines! (Although I did change some of the x/y/z/c? coordinates a little and made it worse.)

Here's the bare minimum of what I want:
1. You use the mouse to draw and color (different brush sizes/air brushes would be cool).
2. You store these drawings in RAM as frames (an onion skin option would be nice to- where you can see a transparency of the previous and/or next frame the same time you're working on the current one).
3. You can fix a background image (drawn or loaded) and let your frames animate over it (also an option to make the background image bigger than the screen so it could scroll).
4. You can export it as an MPEG or AVI or a DB executable.

More complex tool options (lines, circles, etc.) and effects would be nice but for now that would be cool.

Now, in the long run it would be nice to turn it into something more complex (even a DB game design companion?) with options such as:

1. The ability to put your 2d characters/objects onto a 3d plane and have 3d lighting that would cast shadows, even if not true 3d shadows. Even put true 3d objects into the scene as well.
2. Add sound/music support onto a frame-timeline.
3. Have object collision and `programability' to it to export it as a game.

I know you all are pros at this kinda stuff and you might not like the idea of someone asking you to do the hard work they (me) should learn to do themselves (myself) but I could use some help getting this idea off the ground. But if I get this done I would like to make it freeware cuz everyone should have access to easy and flexible-to-use tools without having to shell out more bucks.

Anybody interested?
Alan
New Creature
Years of Service
User Offline
Well New Creature, I think your problem is one of time, dedication, etc....

(SORRY, I HAD TO RESPOND, NO ONE ELSE HAS!)

Okay... I have learned how to change the `line' command to a `dot' command so now it actually draws dots! WHOA!

Here's something funny though- I was using my Wacom tablet to draw in the program when it was the `line' version. It worked fine. Yet when I changed the `line' command to `dot' the Wacom pen freaked out and started moving in a greatly exaggerated fashion so that `drawing' was not very likely to happen.

I just want to animate like the old schoolers do! WAAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!! I got True Space and am trying to learn to model but it is so frustrating when I can't even make a head/face shape, yet with a pen or pencil I can be quite impressive.

I was 2d animating in a true 2d animation program (drawing each frame, not one of these vector animators where you have to bone stuff like it was 3d....?!) I would probably have some neat graphics happening. I looked at Moho by Lost Marble and ToonStudio or something like that but they seem to designed for someone use to 3d animating.

Alright... I've talked enough. Anybody want to write a TRUE 2d animation program? (with the 3d-extras as icing)

Alan

RisTar
Years of Service
User Offline
i guess i need to read a little about 2d animation new creature !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 11:44:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 11:44:32