Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / MGS:3 at E3 (^_^)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 03:21 Edited at: 12th May 2003 03:26
Just wanna spread the news that there's a teaser of MGS:3 at the E3

This is at http://www.konamijpn.com/countdown/count.php

This is map is from the logo (and i made it my avatar!)

The Trailer kicks azz dudez!!! (not really a trailer, it was a press kit for the japs media)
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetps2/metalgear/Movies/SnakeEater.wmv
... but just make sure u're a member in FilePlanet

(oh yeah, who's got the Japan edition?)

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 04:07
That trailer looks so sweet, much respect goes to solid! he's just too damn cool

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 05:25
Uh... he's not real, though...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 05:40 Edited at: 12th May 2003 05:41
in my opinion, theres a time at which some game characters appear kinda real, it's that point to me when the game developers reach thier peek! just by watching the trailer and stuff u can like actually feel the guy, the pain, the happiness etc just like a film don't mind me, not sure you'd understand, maybe i'm just talkin jibberish

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 05:48
Only very, very, very good authors and movie directors ever make me truly feel for their characters. I truly enjoy many books and games, and get immersed in their worlds, but actually feeling for the characters is something completely different... I think I can recall 3 series' and a handful of movies that've done that...

Good to know you enjoy the MGS games so much

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 05:49
Mouse: I'm real enough! LOL!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 05:53
No, you're just a figment of my imagination. If I snapped my fingers, you and all your posts would dissapear in a puff of smoke

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 07:38
Looks ok, but remember, the MGS2 trailer looked ungodly cool, yet the game was hardly worth it. Lets hope they due this one the justise the series deserves.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:22
I doubt you'll convince Snake of that, given that he has a massive picture of the game's logo in his avatar

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:34
guys i wouldn't get excited... there was a leak of this in Japan about 2months ago - and needless to say it was never pirated.
trust me if you were disappointed with 2 then 3 will be just as much of a letdown.

there's a title that i'd say to keep your eye on - but i don't think its been officially annouced yet, atleast not stateside... called Ghost Catchers by Cambridge Studios. That is going to be totally awesome, some of the best graphics i've seen for a long long time (and its on the PS2 of all things)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:38
I wasn't dissapointed with 2 at all. The fact that they used Rhyden (or whatever) didn't matter to me, I just found the game really good. The length of it was all that dissappointed me (but I probably just played through it too fast).

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:59
Raven, is you want amazing graphics, Half-Life 2 is all ya need. That game looks so good

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 22:38
Half-Life2 is still pretty linear, and trust me the graphics have nothing on Ghost Catchers ... the title might be pretty stupid, but it truely is one of the most graphically amazing games you'll see to date.

i mean you've probably just seen the screenshots of HL2 which are floating around the net, which don't give you the true feel of that game even. Alot of HL2 is create with atmosphere, when the E3 movie is released within the week you'll see what i mean about that - as it does harbour some truely stunning atmosphere which as you play suck you in to the story... which has been evolved quite a bit, this time without the weak engine the previous HL based games have had.
even still when you see a whispy ghost in GC float around with whisps going everywhere, subtly moving cloth as it passes by fast - yeah thats something that truely makes the games graphics seem alive is the interaction with inanimate object throughout the world.

Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness also has this to a degree... clothes in GC move with the player, NONE of which is animation by thier own physics engine doing some pretty amazing things.
These guys are good at just let loose fun horrors (Medievil,Primal,etc in thier box) ... and the new one surely sets to not only set a new graphical standard on the PS2 - but also bring gamers back to just having fun interacting with environment rather than just simply playing games.

Each level is pretty open from what i hear, you goto a world and your there to catch the spirits or destory them (whichever) ... but you'll chase them around entire levels with no linear like PointA-PointB but just a good old hunt
and the fact that they've turned off the PS2's blur and FSAA and used thier own routines to enhance the look, certainly makes it look better when i first saw it about a month ago i thought it was either a new PC or XBox title

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 23:20
Metal Gear Solid 2 left so many open holes, plus sitting down and watching people talk for 20 minutes got old fast.

Although these are the only real complaints I have and most others have.It was still worth the $49.99(U.S money)in my opionion.

(Current)-Game entering concept art stages-
(progress)-Should have demo in 6 months latest-
(misc.)-Started modeling buildings and other objects-
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 23:53
in mine it broke what MGS started, it needed to be an evolution rather than a graphics update and interactive story.
i like to play not watch my games

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 01:18
I haven't played MGS2 but i've considered buying it once or twice, I dont think i will now... im waiting for enter the matrix, that looks sooo cool . Oh and of course doom 3 (drrrooool.... )

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 02:04
i've got a erm *cough*preveiw*cough* of enter the matrix... that is a definate must buy game
its like Max Payne with some Oni features, and is all very slick - you buy it you won't be disappointed

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 06:14
Hmmm... I hated Max Payne (awful graphics, ridiculously cliche storyline), would I still have a chance of enjoying the game ?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 03:29
aweful graphics?? what system were your playing Max Payne on?
with my Duron800 & GeForce3Ti it looked pretty fantastic for when it was released especially with FSAA 4x on

and the story was suppose to be cliché noir, and pretty dire ... if it wasn't then it wouldn't have been a cheesy detective novel like it was intended
the whole point was to push the graphical abilities at the time with a game which pitted you just running around killing people.

i mean if you thought it was suppose to be some serious story driven game then you're more wack than the guys you had to wack
the only way i could think that you thought the graphics sucked on Max Payne would be if you'd played it within the past year (remember its a 3yo game!)
but even still it only pales in comparison graphically and effect wise to games like Unreal2 and console titles - especially as no others have even been officially released yet.

Pirated beta's are begining to seriously ruin the industry

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 03:45
Max payne was cool, not original but nonetheless cool!

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 04:15
o_O My teacher has a ticket to E3... hes going to give us commentary... via internet radio... =P

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 05:26
puffy you live what... an hours drive from LA
they never sell all of the tickets to get in (its an expo, they always underbook) should come down and just see about paying to get in, isn't much - think was like $55 something pretty cheap like that.

as for those who seems to think that Max Payne looks pretty poor

well make your own opinions, but thats full graphics FSAA 4x running at 18fps on my Laptop
which is still playable if you can put up with the lag between the mouse and the head movement with FSAA on

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 18:01 Edited at: 14th May 2003 18:03
beautiful heck i can't even forget the number of times i read in this game mag or that game mag or those game mags or these game mags where they stated that max payne had swesome photo-realistic game textures and looked really realistic.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 18:43
Hehe, good old max - he was never as popular as the hype - but I quite liked the game, until - that bloomin baby crying walking on blood lines level - WTF!

Halo2 looks immensely nice, I'm not a fan of MGS, but the Ghost Catchers thing Raven mangling on about sounds cool. I like interactive games with nice physics. That seems to be lacking from PS2 games, the Dreamcast had nice physics in games like Toy Commander and Revolt, but can't remember seeing anything very impressive on the PS2.
Does anyone remember a game on the Megadrive, a little alien blob guy who could pick up objects and stack them up to climb higher. It was made by Psygnosis I think, sorta platformy but it had really cool bouncy balls etc and underwater bits. I used to love just messing around with all the items - which is what a lot of people end up doing in games, messing around. Now a complete physics engine in an adventure game would be great, like instead of finding keys, you could just prise it open with a crowbar - or instead of killing someone by conventional means - leave a rollerskate at the top of a staircase and cut the power!.

Van-B

Hate me clown because I'm not from your town y'all. Hate me clown.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 22:19
well all the hype came from it being like a super realistic engine with bullet time ... it had that, just no real immersive story (plus it needed quite a powerful system when it was released in late '99)

and i got the title wrong btw it's GhostHunters
as soon as i can find the Studio Cambridge website i'll post up some screenshots (i've used several search engines and still bupkis though )

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 04:39
someone recommended me to some game called postal 2, some gory, violent game which is basically a more xtreme GTA3, you just basically go around the city killing anyone u see in the most foul wa possible!

obviously this guy couldn't take it, an in-game shot by the way!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 07:15
oh god, he appears to have swollowed some of the Brooklyn River!
ya know i think any medic looking at that screenshot would worries about the colour and puffiness of his spew

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 16:15
Loved Max Payne, played it a million times, the lack of a skip cutscene (not novel) feature was a little annoying though lol.

I don't know why you'd think Max Payne is serious, especially with the things enemies say: "You know the coolest of the coolest action movies, the ones where time seems to slow down and the heroes dodge the bullets. Bullet-time is what it's called, boy would it be cool to do that." Or more directly, the particular scene where Max describes how he feels like he's in a computer game and a graphic novel. There's also quite a number of hidden easter eggs which seem not to be in as many games these days, unlike Duke 3D hehe.

The graphics are very cool, the one scene that looked dodgy is where the train smashes through the wooden barrier thing. In that short cutscene the wooden barrier looked a little cartoony and not quite right.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2003 06:17
hahaa... yup thats what i loved about it, the whole game starts out cheesy and noir - just turns into taking the piss out of itself. Cracked me up

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 08:59:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 08:59:02