Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 03:41
I saw this topic in another forum, so i just post it here to know from u peeps

As for me, i've done lots, but by far i think one of the worst was when I played CS in a cybercafe with my mates last year. My entire team was surrounded inside a room while our exit is being blocked by bullets & grenades (and badass snipers). So being nearest to the door, with full confident, i threw my last grenade outside (i tried throwing flash bangs, but one of our member died on his escape attempt).

And "magically" the door was tried to closed by the time the grenade left my hand, and hit the door, and "conviniently" landed in the middle of the room. Next thing i know (after the kaboom, killing my entire team), i can hear mad laughters from the other corner of the cybercafe, and i received "friendly" insults from my dead crews
Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

http://www.infinitybeyond.com/mgs2logo.jpg[/img]
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 04:12
When i was playing unreal tournament, I temporarily forgot about gravity and threw a grenade vertically up in the air at some enemies. Naturally, if not timed right, what goes up must come down

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 05:25
I assume you mean mutliplayer only . The time I blew myself into a billion bloody chunks when I was 1 kill away from beating Xan wouldn't count .

Well... I was playing Thievery; I was the last thief alive and there were five guards holding the thing I needed to win; furthermore the room was clogged up with about 5 mines, 12 caltrops, and a whistler at every entrance. Basically, I was rat food, but I decided I'd do my best.

My brilliant plan was to get them thinking I was coming in through the window, then jump up onto the roof and come in through the balcony door. I had three crack arrows, so I planned I could crack the guards if I had a few seconds to shoot in, and then maybe I'd be able to disarm the mines and grab the gem in time for a quick escape (I've seen it pulled off once...) With my whole team cheering me on (and me yelling at them to shut up because they were giving away my location ) I shot my decoy arrow at the window, climbed up to to the roof, jumped down the other side, ran up the room, readied by bow and crack arrows, opened the door...

And fired...

Unfortunatly, I aimed up a bit too far, and the crack arrow hit the door sill. My thief, a bit too close, was instantly cracked and began randomly wandering around while the team groned. A couple guards got hit by the crack too, and the house was soon filled with drugged guards and one thief who they couldn't hit. Just before I got my control back, my thief stumbled into the room and managed to hit all 5 mines and 12 caltrops. The detonating whistlers didn't help.

Needless to say, that's the biggest explosion I've ever seen in Thievery.

And me playing against my clan's mortal enemies, too...

Btw, hexgear, you must be playing U4E!

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 05:57
nah, i mean any game u've played

one of my foolish (not entirely dumb! ) mistake was when playing Daytona (the circular track) way back then on the arcade machine. I was quite new to Daytona, so i figure i should trail somebody to see how the track goes. It went round & round, until i understood the road. When it came to the last lap & the last turn to the winning lane, i did one of my worst strategy ever to overtake a front car:

... I thought it was a shortcut, until now i'm regretting to know that it was actually a pitstop ...

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 06:00
Oh of course I have done some stupid things in counter strike. Like one time i was playing in a server with the "Kamikazi" plugin. When you type kamikazi a timer starts, and when it runs out you blow up killing people near you. So, near the end of a round, I was chasin a guy and I did it, but someone killed him.

So, the timer carried on into the next round. While everyone was buying, I exploded and killed everyone, that was a short round! A few people did that, Im pretty sure I did, if I didnt, well, I guess you all may think its funny.

Solid: FF was on? AHAHHA THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Starting from scratch, TOTAL REHAUL!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 12:27
Stupidest thing I've ever done in a game? Buy Spice World. Or Home Alone on the SNES. Or leant Donkey Kong Country to my cousin who deleted my 111% save game lol

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 12:29
Quote: "Or leant Donkey Kong Country to my cousin who deleted my 111% save game"

LOL!

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 13:06
Daytona: I was the guy with the "WRONG WAY" sign permanently flashing on screen as I plowed against the traffic in an attempt to build up enough speed to cause the grandest possible car collision...

JKii: Robbed myself of the joy of seeing all those stormtroopers flushed out of the airlock, because at the time it didn't occur to me the engine would be that cool. So using force speed and lightsabre I made 3 passes at that large cargo bay with the two turret snipers and 30+stormtroopers on 3 levels and took 'em out one by one. I saved the game straight after that with a *whew*. Then someone told me about the airlock thing and I felt so bloody ripped off, I replayed the whole damn game from the start, got to see the screaming stormtroopers get sucked into outer space, then kept playing. about 10 minutes later I found another cargo bay excactly the same. DOh!

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 13:18
lol not just me who does that in Daytona then

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 13:33
Well, years ago - I used to play Duke Nukem 3D and a favourite pastime was filling the elevator with pipe bombs, then blowing the lot when the other players try and use it. So we're playing the LA Rumble level I think, and I'm filling the elevator with bombs, then someone starts shooting from behind. I just made it into the elevator as a bullet hit one of the pipe bombs!.

Holograms, trip bombs and pipe bombs never really took off - shame, I like setting traps for people .

Van-B
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 16:05
The stupidest thing i can remember, well the most annoying, on tfc in a clan match. Our clan was never really any good, and we found it hard to win any match. Drawing towards the close of a match, we were drawing with the opposition and I had ran through their base and killed all sentry guns with the flag. The last few steps were approaching and I thought id take a screenshot of this glorious moment. Unfortunately, the power button is rite near the print screen button on my stupid keyboard. You can guess what happened next. I was disconnected and in the remaining minute the opposition grabbed the flag ran through our base... and scored. we lost, again. I went into the kitchen got, grabbed a knife and plucked the power button from its socket. Its now in power button hell...

Thinking about it i have a few more. One was on warcraft 3. It was a 3v3 and at the very start 2 of the enemy disconnected leaving 3v1. I thought, since it would be easy, id try something new, so, as a human player, i massed peasants until i had 90/90. Then i build a nice townhall near the enemy base. Meanwhile i hadnt noticed that my 2 team mates hadnt been building units, one of them had made about 3 units and the other had made aload of towers. I thought oh well i have my peasnts. Moved them to my nearby enemy base townhall ready to turn them all into militia, then out of nowhere came 3 lv6+ blademasters with bladestorm, and they ran over to my peasants, and that was that. Before i had time to make militia, my food was down to about 20/90. Then the enemy came to my main base with 3 orc armies, since he had resumed control of his allies, and crushed me.

Oh and last one... a quicky, on my old fav cs server, dont remember name, i was in the /top15 and i got killed at the start one round so the next round i got annoyed and killed my whole team. I was kick/banned and never allowed back
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 16:31
When I had a go at Half-life, I tried to deflect the laser beam with a crow-bar - didn't work...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 18:06
I shot the same guy 5 times in one game (he was on our side) in RTCW...banned
I didn`t realise our team had recaptured the bunker on RTCW beachhead and threw a grenade inside...banned
I hit the wrong button and threw a grenade on a medic and his team mate (my team)...banned
I fired a rocket down a stairwell cos I could hear the enemy and it was our carrier...banned
I dropped a grenade as we where hiding just off the war room in beachhead...banned
best of all (or worst)
I got confused on beachhead and for some reason decided I was axis and machine gunned my own side down mercilessly as they respawned...banned
I am DEADLY in Wolf ... to me ...teammates....enemy...stray cats..everything.

Mentor.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 18:16
In Half-Life Opposing Force I decided to try to get past the big tentacle thing that comes out the portal..... long story shorter and less gruesome.....it didn't work.

I always win don't you know that?
Programming RPG games in Dark Basic
Since 1999.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 18:26
Dumbest thing i've done was once, a good whilst back i was playing JK2 and i'd just got through the Valley with all of those Sith Jedi and Walkers etc... on Jedi Master Mode and i was like "thank god, that was hard as nails"
pressed F9 to quicksave - suddenly the game goes into the loading screen.

i'd just pressed Quickload - took me another 5 attempts to get through lol

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:17
I always rebind the quickload key to NumLock

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:39
Yeah it's bloody stoopid how the qsave and qload are always mapped by default to like F9 and F10, right bloody next to eachother, actually that's another good function to map to the MSgamevoice:
"Save...Save! NOW f**kit SAVE, AAAAARGH!!!!"

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:58
I can't say how many times that's happened to me... once in Morrowind, when I had *just* finally beaten that Flame Atronach that was guarding all that super-valuble Raw Ebony I wanted to lug back to Balmora... never was able to beat him after that, had to come back 8 levels later :-s

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 22:38
Hehe, I know someone that quicksaved on the last level on the first Tomb Raider, poor lara was falling to her death and he quicksaved instead of loading! - had to start from scratch.

I'm a fairly considerate team player, backing folk up etc but I get annoyed sometimes with jittery players. Playing UT on the dreamcast Like you stand watching 2 team mates circle an enemy shooting at the roof and floor in a mad panic, I like to load up the rocket launcher and let them pick the change out of 5 rockets . Ain't war hell!

It's good to play straight deathmatch every few games though, get that frustration out - maybe a good idea for Mentor .

Van-B

Hate me clown because I'm not from your town y'all. Hate me clown.
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 22:45
i know this isn't a computer game although it does use computer @ Quasar i shot the same guy 109 times i through i had done well but it turned out the guy was on my team LOL
crystal

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Current project:The Sorus
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 00:55 Edited at: 13th May 2003 00:56
Umm... ok... years ago, when we got the first PD version of Doom (before the totally copied registered version of course....), a few of us played it non-stop for weeks on the big Uni LANs (good old Physics dept. as CS had nothing but Suns).

One day a few of us were playing co-op. Two of us went one way to investigate, and being a pretty hard level and skill level, we were playing it "Miami Vice" style. ie. Back to back movement. My mate was behind me walking forwards, and I was walking backwards directly behind him. Anyhows, this worked well normally, but unfortuantly we had got a little mixed up (doesn't help to drink lager at the same time for many many hours). Essentially we had got our lefts and rights a bit sqiffy. I lasted quite a while walking backwards, I turned around and he wasn't there, but 3 of those massive thingy demons were. It was also running RANDOOM so everything was randomised and I didn't expect them. Grrr grrr die die. Then I was dead. Always remember that one.

Cheers

Oh and a MUD coupled with the Unix write command was the funniest thing I ever did. Wasn't stupid though.

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 01:06
i remembered a classic 'stubborn' mistake i did ..

.. by ignoring the warning given, and i tried to kill the giant octopus in Echo. After multiple deaths only did i get wat the fcuk was the other dolphin tried to warn me about ..

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 02:13
I hate it when I am playing cs and I go to hit duck (CTRL) and I hit the windows button then I lose sound! There isnt a way to rebind the start menu either! I am NOT going to rebind croutch cuz Ive been playin like that 4 ever!

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Starting from scratch, TOTAL REHAUL!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 04:49
lmao... i do that all the time in TR, i'll hit the windows or menu button - which is kinda why i use my gamepads now instead

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 04:53
rpg thats how i am, i always do that, and it gets me killed almost every time

Since 1999.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 06:09
At one point in Thievery, I bound my 'THIEF SPOTTED! NEED ASSISTANCE!' hotkey to F5... which was right next to F4, which crashed the program for me . Took me a while to get around to rebinding it, but I crashed loads, as that's obviously a rather frequently used key...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Joeyjoejoe Shabadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Uh GTA2 on a LAN network, played chicken with a guy in a tank, we all know who won that little battle.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
In Worms I sneaked up behind my opponent and placed a mine. With a snicker He he, I started to sneak away. Uh Oh! I just realised Im in a pit! I try to jump up the sides over and over but keep skidding back down again!........LOL.........BOOM!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 12:34
FF6

Went all the way through phoenix cave...didn't save it..and died a stupid death

Since 1999.
DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 13:36
In Max Payne near the Safe I just ran into the room and received 5 shotgun blasts into my chest.

"He will join us, or die my Master..." - Darth Vader
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 14:05
In MGS : I was busy piloting the Nikita missle to find enemies .. never knew that a bunch of 'em are frying my butt back there where i'm standing

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 15:08
Hey Solidz,

Funny how one subject can get people saying their stupidest game playing mistakes. Sometimes i have to think though. We are game creators but yet the games created b others always stump us. You'd think we would all think in a simalar state of mind, but we don't.I for one do not understand anyone but my own games, if i didn't create it, i'm screwed when i try to play it(with the exception of Half-Life ). But hey this was justone lone mans opinion.

-Eric

Since 1999.
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 15:55
lol nobody's perfect
still, practise makes perfect

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 15:58
true

Since 1999.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 23:13
Once I lost my PS1 memory card that had all of my favorite games saves on them nearly maxed out. I found it 3 months later when I was moving my tv stand, it was right next to it the whole time.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 23:46
RPG - get a keyboard without a windows key! Or a cheap one where you can easily remove and re-insert the keys

AGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 00:04
Well about every thing i do in games is stupid lol

There's no game made for you except the one's made your self
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought it was funny in Dragon Breed an old Arcade machine. You get to this end boss and we tried everything to kill it. Missiles..no good..torpedos...no good..everything we threw at it, it threw back at us! We were mincemeat. Then I thought to myself....."Everything we throw at it, it throws back at us!" I know!!!..............

Don't shoot anything at it at all!!!.......LOL!!!

That was the answer! If you didn't shoot at it, after awhile it would send out some orbs which you could then shoot at!!!

Good bloody idea!!!

Pincho.
Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 04:50 Edited at: 14th May 2003 04:57
1) not a computer game but in SOCOM: US Navy SEALs. i was playing online and accidently killed my team thinking it was the other team following me around. oops

2)GTA 3 didn't realize how big the blast radius of a molatav cocktail is

3) playing UT online i killed my entire team several times because they kept coming to where i was sniping and started shooting machine gun or rocket launcher and gave away my postions

4)command and conquer: generals destroyed a teamates base

5)everquest(when i still played it) while running from dragons i blocked several ppl in the dungeon. they all died

6)auto modellista i kept trying to ram cars and ended up slamming into walls and stopping my friends behind me

7) SOCOM: US Navy SEALs i sniped my team on accident in a bloody mary match

8) didn't realize you can still move while piloting the redeemer in UT. ended up killing myself instead of the other team(cause i was running across the map and it looked like i was running away from the redeemer)

9) show a friend how much better you are at a game than he is, without realizing that HIS controls are set(my frineds controls are insane

can't think of anymore at the moment(though im sure there are TONS more)

Current Status: learning MORE about dbpro
I consider myself: newb
MiniMark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 19:25
My biggest mistake is turning on the computer.

--Twin P4 Xeon 2.0 Ghz, GeForce Quadro4 XGL 128MB, 1Gb DDR RAM, 19" Flat Screen--

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 04:10:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 04:10:23