Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / the worst things ever

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 18:42
ok! who wants to tell us the worst games or "features" in a game to have ever darkened your monitor, ideas that looked cool in theory but stunk in practise, for me the worst game I ever bought was War of the Worlds, that game was DIRE, you had to swap between the map screen and the isometric view for every move you made, and the screen swaps took 15 to 30 seconds, I think they wrote the game in a zx81 emulator that was emulateing a Mac emulateing a PC, other games I am ashamed to have owned include Outcast (hey! wheres the 3d hardware rendering?, how the hell can I control the guy from this ever changing viewpoint?, how come it won`t install on my pc now?), wins the award for most pointless and half developed game ever, takes so long I have only ever got to level two before loading something interesting, and Dune 2000, umm?, looks like dune, plays like dune, same units as dune, same levels almost as dune, where are the improved graphics?, oh! those fmv bits between levels? ripoff alert!, you all must have bought some game that you thought was going to be the bees knees and turned out to be a big bag of poo! something you gave to an annoying relative or someone you hated, fess up now!, lets hear yours.

Mentor.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:26
Uh...

Oh.

I am ashamed to say I once downloaded a Final Fantasy VII demo, trying to convince myself it couldn't be as bad as it looked.

Oh, god... I'd rather have nailed my feet to the floor.

At least I've learned my lesson.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:50
Stupid AI is very annoying, especially in Devestation...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:54
Mouse - you're be facitious, right?

Worst gaming crime? Bad PAL conversions

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:55
007 Nightfire

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 19:57
Kangaroo, no, I'm quite serious. I despise that game and hold its makers responsible for wasting a good hour of my life.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 20:53
The zelda game on the nes, proberly not a popular choice but I hate it.
Postal, my brother used to play it and I would say it's one of the worst games ever.

Any racing game where the computer cars cheat.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 01:02
1. Cut-scenes that you can't skip. Even if you can speed up the text, still want to skip totally. Grrrr....

2. Crap quality video on FMV sequences.

3. The fact that all PC's these days come with DVD drives or DVD drives cost hardly nothing, and yet hardly any games come out on DVD. Even the ones with like 10 CDs. And most of them don't even re-release on DVD if tonnes of CDs. Grrrr. And stupidly they all sell now in DVD boxes!!!

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 01:14
The Sum of All Fears game ..

.. i mean, though its not rite for me to say "wtf is wrong with that game", but there i go & bought it after watching the movie, and i'm expecting the game "should" be better than the movie ..

... beat it flat in 1 day, without too much adrenalin rushing most of the time ...

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 02:06
"I despise that game and hold its makers responsible for wasting a good hour of my life."

lmao Ok, well every1s entitled to their opinions. What was it you didn't like? From a personal perspective the only thing I didn't like first time round (but learned to love later) was the unskippable cutscenes and random battles. But if you persevere, I found it very rewarding. But like I said, each to their own

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 02:11
worst game ever would have to goto FF8 ... it was just to blasted complicated and trying to have more realistic settings.
The problems i have with that game i also have for Deus Ex, Daikatana, Sin, etc... (i do have a VERY long list) lol

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 03:06
I played the Daikatana demo [SHAME!]

Considering the "talented" developer behind it, it was absolutely TERRIBLE!

On the Norway level for example, when you start, a load of badly animated monsters looking like the ones from the DBC "Iced" demo appear and walk directly towards you (with AI about as smart as a wooden stick). You kill them all. They respawn. And again. And again. And again. (Spot the pattern?)

The worst thing was, normally respawning beasts are limited to a small area, not here, these bastards would follow through the whole large map. I killed them right near the exit, and sure enough, I could see them respawn a long way in the distance and run towards me. Not difficult to deal with, just annoying to the point of insanity.

The end area for Half-Life as well, earlier on in the game, there was the brilliant AI of the soldiers (at the time, and even now relatively), the fantastic bosses (the tentacle monster). Then at the end it degenerated into a series of tedious platform jumps ending at a large demented baby as the boss. I was very let-down indeed.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_101.zip
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 06:26
Oh my god, Daikatana! Rob K, you made me remember! Ack! My sleep will be riddled with awful nightmares!

God, that was one awful game demo... what the hell is with 512x512 textures for a toad the size of five pixels? And what the hell is with TOADS in the first place anyways? Aaaaak!

I agree about the end of Half-Life too. I had to reload lots in other areas too, but that end spot-- it didn't make any sense! The ending was also pretty depressing, as I'd been yearning to smash the Administrator's head in the whole game...

As for the FF game-- well, what was there to like about it? Nothing! The graphics were really bad (yes, even for the time. I know it's because it's only a port to the PC, but they could have bothered with at least making some of the areas look decent), the storyline was... uuurgh... just nightmarish (the brave heroic rebels will save the world from the evil empire!)... the characters were 1-sided and predictable, the humor was... well, nonexistant, and the whole anime thing annoyed the 'ell out of me. Yeah, sure, the main character is going to have hair twice as long as his arm jelled straight up so that it scrapes the cieling, and a massive unwieldy sword that Hercules would have trouble lifting...

The game was supposed to come off as a drama/love story/tragedy, I *think*. If that's so, why did I feel like I was watching and playing a bunch of 8-year-olds instead of adults? Why was the dialogue so incredibly corny and the storyline so godawful weak?

Ahem.

Rant over

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 16:20
"as I'd been yearning to smash the Administrator's head in the whole game..."

This is pretty funny. If you use cheats (noclip) earlier on in the game to reach the G-man and you whack him with a crowbar, you get a metal "thwang!" noise!

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_101.zip
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 23:05
I agree that FF8 was the worst of the series, but one of the worst games I ever played was the Ninja demo for PS1. Ah but I just remembered one that's even worst than that, Quest 64. *Shudder* just thinking about it make me shudder, worst RPG ever, EVER!!!! It was so bad I emditatly when back to the store, demanded my money back, and then I bought a PS1 and FF7. At the time I was stupideusly Nintendo loyal, but after Quest 64, I needed a real RPG to purge the evil that was Quest from my system.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 23:44
lol I never played FFVII on the PC but on the psx it has a kind of magic that still holds me, personally I love the chunky graphics and the emotions portrayed through the graphics and dialogue. Sure its cliched but most RPGs are and many ppl like that, it feels familiar. Don't forget FF has been around since the 80s so and major change in general style and atmos would have caused out cry. But from an out siders point of view I can see your point.

FFVIII severly bored me tho, it was over complex, predictable, more linear and I didn't like the new graphical style.

Daikatana - Ack, Euch. Spit. Cough. Man I need a glass of water

The worst game I ever played was possibly "Mortal Kombat Mythologies : Sub Zero". Myabe because I really wanted it to be good, and it SOOO wasn't. Also many 16bit identikit platform liscences spring to mind, especially SNES Home Alone. *shudder*

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 00:58
"what the hell is with TOADS in the first place anyways?"

Robotic toads at that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 17:13:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 17:13:14