Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Dream Stealer. Concept art and screenies

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 19:35
Quote: "Two more proposals.

1/ Veins on the body, see attached image.

2/ Give the head some more shape, maybe a bit like a type of dinosaur, make the eyes jet black."

Komet, I already did veins, check the first of the new screenies, towards the right hand side. they're very subtle I circled some in the attached image. THe vien in your included image is actual geometry, something I would avoid like the plague, as it will push the poly count.

I'm not changing the head shape, I'm happy with it; it fits my design sketches, and it looks nice when animated. Nor am I going to add eyes, as this would completely defeat the purpose of the character. Please don't take this as an affront Komet, had it not been for your initial antagonism, I wouldn't have improved!

Quote: "the teeth you have currently , you shoudl consider making them curve inwards."

This was so annoying, because I tried bending them in, and it looks wicked, but it'll be a total mission to re-rig an everything, but then the gods of maya smiled on me, and having bound the skeleton, the teeth curved a little on their own. I think the teeth could probably do with an overhaul, but that might have to wait... ZAKU, thanks for your advice, it was sterling, really got me thinking about using some new layer styles for flesh etc. Oh, and you ever want to employ me on your next publishing game...lol...jks.

Quote: "We Know that the Model and Texture are coming along great but what about the Scripting? And Also as posted before if it uses it's hearing it might have ears?"

I think having ears would look weird, it's too sleek for that, although I have considered the science of this: sound is transmitted through vibrations in air particles, therefore the Dream Stealer has a heightened sensitivity to these vibrations, allowing it not to require ears. blag.

Scripting wise, it's looking ok. I tried to have it wander around aimlessly when it couldn't hear anything, but that looked silly. At the moment it responds to broadcast noise and hunts towards it, if only I could make a source edit, I could have it move towards ANY noise generating entity, and you could distract it by throwing dynamic objects into the opposite corner, but this is not possible. so for the moment, it hunts via player broadcast noise, and when within 200 it can hear your heartbeat, and therefore close in for the kill!

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 19:45
Sounds like its coming along great. I would not want to be near that thing(unless of course i had one of your awesome weapons)
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 20:45
Sounds good butters are you ganna remove the blood from arms? As I said earlier it looses all its scare with blood on them.

It makes me think they used to have arms; which makes them a normal boring biped. You should see no arms at all. Like your concept art.

If you dno't change it i'll change it when i download the new umbra So that i will get freaked out by it more lol

Keep on Umbring
Tyrano

The Kalspher forums are now open!
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 21:35 Edited at: 28th Mar 2007 21:36
Quote: "Komet, I already did veins, check the first of the new screenies, towards the right hand side. they're very subtle I circled some in the attached image. THe vien in your included image is actual geometry, something I would avoid like the plague, as it will push the poly count."

Ah I could not see them, yeah no point in making the poly count go up anymore than it has to else FPSC will go belly up, did you forget to attach the images you mention?

Quote: "I'm not changing the head shape, I'm happy with it; it fits my design sketches, and it looks nice when animated. Nor am I going to add eyes, as this would completely defeat the purpose of the character. Please don't take this as an affront Komet, had it not been for your initial antagonism, I wouldn't have improved!"

OK, well there isn't much else you can do to it then, any chance of us all getting to see a video? How will it actually kill the player?

No worries I was having a bad day and had just had an art debate the day before and took it out on you partially, up until then I had liked your work, now that you've improved it a lot I like it better still so I'm glad something positive came of my rudeness.
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Butters ,I have to say they are coming along nicely.
The credit is of course all yours as you would have seen the need for multilayering yourself , sometimes one is just too close to the actual creation process at the start , but given time any modeler of yuor calibre will re evaluate their models, I know that's what I always do.

Who KNows I actually do have a few things I'd like to run past some of the artists on the forum.
You and I may be working together in the new future, you never know.

butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
i dont mean to sound like a pervert but do they have viginas

Slipknot Rules
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 03:42 Edited at: 29th Mar 2007 03:48
butyouman
Quote: "i dont mean to sound like a pervert but do they have viginas"
lol i think butters said they were male, or they might have other features. but it might add to the weirdness.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 03:49
Quote: "i dont mean to sound like a pervert but do they have viginas"

Jeez, man, you just came out and said it.

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 04:12
no kidding dude.
I mean, think about it.
would butters just put a random patch of hair on there for nothing?

DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 04:43
nice work Butter fingers looking good

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade away.Victor Kruger/The Kurgan
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 04:44 Edited at: 29th Mar 2007 04:47
Since you guys obviously have the maturity of 4 year olds and post this kind of drivel you can sit on post approval for a week.
Your posts are a violation of the AUP...and good taste as well as disrespectfu to Butters and anyone who is unfortunate enough to read this.
Butters (unlike you) knows that nudity would be a violation of the AUP so he wouldn't post any.
Some of you are on your last chance so try to behave.

Edit:I don't need to mention names...I'm sure it won't take you long to figure out you got slapped.

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 05:07
too bad this thread was soiled by AUP violations. Hopefully it wont detract from the model.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 12:19
OK ok ok ok.

THe brown/black thing on the pelvis is not intended to be genetalia. It was actually supposed to be a bum, but I got my UV's confused and it ended up at the front!

The creature is really supposed to be androgenous, so I'll be taking out the brown bit, and adding some normal skin tone.

I don't think I violated the AUP in any way. Yes the creature is naked, but it is neither sexual, nor provocative, and no definate genetalia are shown: plus it's not human, if you're getting turned on and jiggy by my screen shots...you need therapy.

Fred, I don't know if the slaps were for using the V word, or for implying that the creature was inappropriate, but, I guess you gotta consider that Butyouman did attempt to use the correct terminology instead of slang!

Butyouman:
If you ever want to get any, you might want to learn how to spell it first.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 13:28
The slaps were due to the fact that I felt the posts in question were inappropriate.
I knew you were not going to violate the AUP and so did they.
I think the question itself and some of the replies that followed were some elementary school stuff.
Some of our more mature forum members wouldn't have asked something like that...that's a teen thing I guess.
Besides...I know one when I see one.
Quote: "If you ever want to get any, you might want to learn how to spell it first."

Well put.
There's no harm with the slaps.They are not just for this in particular but the members who got slapped have posted questionable stuff in other threads as well.
Putting them on post approval just makes sure we get a chance to look at what they post before they post it.
I am sure that from now on they will be on their best behavior.
I do apologize for all of this and since I am posting allow me to say I thing the stuff you are doing in this thread is great work.
I respect the opinions of others but you have a style all your own and the stuff you make really seems to flow with the stuff I make in my games.
So when I posted I love the stuff it is because I take it for what it is.Seams and stretches and all that are fine and good but I just look at it from the point of would this look good in Umbra or maybe in my game...you have made some improvements and this is shaping up to be some good stuff.

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 16:59
[quote]if you're getting turned on and jiggy by my screen shots...you need therapy.
[quote]
its true
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 20:56
Quote: "if you're getting turned on and jiggy by my screen shots...you need therapy."

I'm not sure what "jiggy" means, but could you possibly suggest a good therapist. I can't help the way I feel, man.... perhaps in time.... sorry Fred, I was compelled.

Have you ever seen the movie Jacob's Ladder? The demons in the movie shook their heads in fast jerky motions that would almost blur when they did it. I don't know if it's possible to recreate in FPSC, but I thought it would be a neat effect for your Dream Stealer.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 21:55
I have seen it (fantasic slice of evil right there)

But I can honestly say, that is already their death animation.. they fall to their knees then to their front, all the while shaking their head on chronically twisted angles.

Butters

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 22:16
[b]I don't know any other way (and I may soon give up and stop caring) to get butters to reply to me so I'm posting it all in BOLD!

Its nice to see you still modelling, but a shame that you don't ever reply to your old friends that are getting a bit fed up of you just ignoring them, completely. Why is it your completely ignoring your friends, Butters?
Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 12:55
You give me back my family, you!

I am a manifestation of your subconscious.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 04:54:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 04:54:42