Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / messenger

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 00:01
The good old messenger's MSN messenger ICQ yahoo AIM well none are on my schools network and oyu can't install them how anoying they used to be ut them but it got band as every one was sending messages and someone got this site band Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! only last week i don't know what they were doing but know it has be blocked so does any one know how to brake through a blocked site on a RM network
There's no game made for you except the one's made your self
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 00:32
Just for posterity...

It's 'Banned'

And it's 'messengers' not 'messenger's'.

Sorry that they got banned, but if I was a school official I have to say I'd do something similar. Perhaps you could start a petition to allow limited use?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 00:56
"only last week i don't know what they were doing but know it has be blocked so does any one know how to brake through a blocked site on a RM network"

Yes, but it isn't a 2-second job. Still, RM security is pretty pathetic. We used to have it on our network, they tried to disable downloading MP3s, so enter:

http://www.music.com/music.mp3

and you get an error warning you that you are not authorised to download music.

type

http://www.music.com/music.mp3?

in the address bar and you can download the music, because web servers treat ?s as instructions to pass a query string to the web page (ie. they ignore it). Just add ONE "?" to the file name to bypass it! With RM's Window Blocker, just download ProcessViewer (found on the net or Norton SystemWorks CDs), and use that to close the Windows Blocker process.

As for bypassing ALL filters, there are three options:

1) Alternative Proxy - eg: www.safeweb.com >> Won't always work, sites often filtered

2) Get another website to retrieve the content from your target website and relay it to you via SSL

3) Get another website to retrieve the content from your target website, encrypt it, send it to you along with a JavaScript decoder which runs when the page has downloaded.

The 2nd and 3rd methods are just theories, somebody claims to have tested the 2nd though - but be prepared for slow browsing.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_101.zip
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 01:29
personally i agree with banning them from schools... your there to do work not play about all day.
alot of jobs are also limiting the internet use and banning IMs which are not internally setup - and even then alot now are having days when there is no internet use except for the Technical Staff and no IM use at all.

that aside, has anyone noticed the HUGE ammount of popup ads that Messenger now sends you?
I've got 2 ad blockers plus Norton Internet Security running, but it still doesn't get rid of all of them

Dan reckons its because i've now got a static ip, so does anyone else get this hyper ad popups? i'm getting close to 5-6 on the hour every hour, it is getting annoying.
I'm sure there is a way to actually turn off the whole advert system for WindowsXP as i've done it before but i don't remember the system hack for it.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
AGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 22:55
thanks i soupse it is ok to block the messengers but not this

There's no game made for you except the one's made your self
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2003 03:04
Just stop messenger in the service section of msconfig.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 19:01
you know it is possible to make a web-based messenger client? The page will have to reload every so often so you do not time out, but somming in PHP or PERL with a javascript/HTML interface will be able to do it

If only i had the time.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 19:01
Oh and i just left school so i do not need it any more, otherwise i would make it

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 19:39 Edited at: 18th May 2003 19:40
Raven try this to stop those annoying ads! and yes I was getting them before I ran this to disable windows internally messenging thing!

http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

Dazzy
Athlon 2600, 1gb pc2700 ram, 160gb HD, 128mb GeF FX, DVD RW, Audigy 2.
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 02:48
Dazzy that's essentially what I said.
Quote: "Just stop messenger in the service section of msconfig."

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 08:55:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 08:55:55