Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / E3 spill the dirt

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 18:05 Edited at: 14th May 2003 18:18
e3 is now on (^_^) so all those lucky enoughto go give us the dirt.
also i was looking at the e3 site and there is big bold type
"E3 is open to trade only. No one under the age of 18 (including infants) will be admitted. THIS RULE IS STRICTLY ENFORCED. E3 attendees will be required upon request to show government-issued photo I.D. (such as driver's license or passport) to verify age." what so any one under 18 but in the business is not allowed in . What i envy those who get to go. And how do you know if you qualifie as being part of the industary

crystal

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Current project:The Sorus
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 19:14
usually by having a name badge that your give that says something like "Robert Lettan - EA Pacific" lol
i'd give you dirty but right now i'm on the opposite coast and i won't be back in LA until 10pm tonite

but atleast i'll catch a little of E3, but only a little as i'm only there for meetings, gotta be back on a plane and off to the UK on Saturday - then onto Germany on tuesday. (christ what a week)

no doubt you'll hear a few good things from i though

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 20:24
good danm how much do you travel raven and what you in england for on sturday any thing big if so i might catch a train down (live just up the thameslink line) and that if i'm allowed. stupid E3

crystal

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 21:05
I need to start my own news business some day so I can get into E3

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 21:37
There isn't much happening Saturday, there is just the Softimage Production show ... i'll be talking to a few executives there about what 3.5 and DNA can do for my business, checking out Half-Life2, Shinobi & ResidentEvil/BioHazard for the GC's production line setups.
Basically the whole expo is Avid's excuse to show off what the top dogs in the industry have done with XSI 3.5

there is another Expo comming up in August though you might want to get to which is for everything 3D, from games to cinematic productions - the lead artists of Matrix:Reloaded&Revolitions have both said they'll be there to give talks.

oh and hey remember the E3 isn't just for business's

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 22:40
uH... THAT'S WHAT THE SITE SAYS

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 22:40
Ack, sorry about the caplocks.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 22:51
where is the saturday expo. see i'm really bored and with the v first basic tech demo of The sorus going out i'll be waiting for comments and not programming, any way "The top dogs" sounds cool plus you know i need to think about starting and ending sequence to my game. although if i can come plz leave full details as my parents getting all up on my because they are worried about me meeting some one from the internet so i'll propally just go the expo and i will probally not even see you. kay

crystal

P.S. if i bring the demo could i convince any one to do the sequences for me or am i just dreaming again

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Good Lord...Half-Life 2. *Druels*

Valve even say they have plans for half-life 3!!!

Valve must be the best in the gaming industry. Lets have a look at their track Record:

1) Half-Life

Hmmm...So far so good

Error 404 : Life not found
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 00:11
At least Valve did an awful lot of the work for HL2 before even mentioning the game - not like some other developers I could name.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_101.zip
Starlight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 02:35
Oh! I would just LOVE to go to the E3 Conference.

Even if the games suck and everything else is boring there is always the booth girls....

E3 Looks really cool, plenty to do and see and interesting people to meet. Well maybe next time.

Anyone going please give a brief run down on your return.

Life is like surfing in the ocean, one minute you are on the crest of a wave, the next you are caught in the trough...
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 03:06
The "source" engine is almost completely finished, they've been working for years on it and the first inkling of an idea that a HL2 was in the works only came recently along with a pile of screenshots. DROOL!!!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 04:04
lol... HL2 is just the evolution of the HL engine, 7years in the making.

but if you knew that you'd probably expect more
however it hasn't been officially cleared to be announced by anyone except Avid (Softimage) - so how the 3rd party sites have screens of it has actually piss'd Valve, becuase they wanted to OFFICIALLY name development during E3 (the covernotes with the fact they're developing HL2 in Softimage only went out Monday meaning that that should've been the longest anyone should've known about it)
but hey it doesn't seem alot of people care about that, wanna see what i mean - type in "Enter the Matrix" on Kazaa (yes they are real gold editions of the software)
privacy is something of the past now... but that said i wouldn't mind adding Team Fortress2 or Condition Zero to my HL collect - oh wait Valve never finished their development, no instead they did the rounds of the Valve owned community and just kinda dropped off the development map.

this is Valves first game in almost 7years, i hope for thier sake its a masterpiece becuase they've made alot of broken promises with the HL Technology and it is going up against Doom3 which is a bloody masterpeice of development.

anyone interested in seeing what the new Playstation Pocket looks like? i truely can't wait to see what the PSP is gonna be like, finally get to see it sometime in the next few days.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 21:22
Seems funny, given that they gave GameSpy an open tour. There's no way they'd be trusting enough to actually think they'd hold the release information back to E3!

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 22:10
well when you tour development houses your tend to have to sign a peice of paper that says you'll not divulge anything you see without express permission from the development production manager

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 06:29
If that happened, they broke the contract and the lawsuit would be all over the news, right?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 08:44
not nessarily... oftenly its settled outta court to a few hundred thousand dollars.
that said - you don't know who actually leaked the story, if it was just a single site then thats cool they could take them on - but when you have 4 or 5 sites, that starts to get too costly and oftenly far too high profile.

that side of things is all politics now, sadly people who break the rules know all the bloody loopholes better than most lawyers. Means there basically isn't much in the way of privacy, and if they just go after a single man when so many could be to blame it looks bad on the company.
Alot of them are on Nasdaq remember - bad PR mean bad share prices, which means less money to work with because publisher don't sub the huge budgets the shareholders do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 08:07:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 08:07:23