Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Quality degradation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 00:51 Edited at: 16th May 2003 00:51
I have an image applied to a plain, and locked to the screen, for a title screen.

The original looks like this...

But when applied to a plain, and displayed on screen so that the resolution is 1:1 with the original image, it looks more like this...

Any advice on what is going wrong? I'm using jpg's, but at high quality.

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 07:45
try exporting as a png
might be the screen lock which is causing it...
or perhaps you have your screen set to Fullscreen-Desktop (which makes things look horrible imo)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 17:39 Edited at: 16th May 2003 17:40
Stevievee: You're using dbc right?

Check the color depth, texture mode and mipmapping etc, anything that could mess with your image, if you designed that logo in photoshop on a screen in 32 bit mode and then you run your proggie in 16 bit mode, some of it has to give you know, other than that, I dunno, but disable texture filtering for that object and make sure the plain is the same dimensions as the image

[edit]

You didn't compress the image did you?

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 18:17
It's a jpg, so I guess that's 24-bit. I'm running my app at 800x600 16-bit, I wouldn't have thought that would be too much of a trade-off.

The jpg quality is 99%, which should only compress definitive blocks of colour. However, I don't know how DBC would deal with that.

I've taken the code snippet that makes sprites from plains. This was designed on 640x480 calculations, so I upgraded it. The plain is exactly 800 pixels wide, as displayed on the screen.

I'll have a mess with the texture filtering and stuff, I'm still leaving that to DBC to deal with at the moment. I'll also try the image as a bmp, just out of interest.

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 20:11 Edited at: 16th May 2003 20:12
Jpg is a compression format, and even at 99 percent quality will have an degrading effect. Standard .bmp is the most 'honest' format and is what you should base your tests on, the simple thing to do is take your image width/height then make the plain to the same dimensions. Scale the plain however you want from there then you know it's in proportion, though I suspect .jpg compression with weird filtering settings/screen depth settings

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 22:58
jpeg should be 16bit ... could perhaps be the encoding, i'd use a standard baseline - other than that i don't really know what else to suggest

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 13:30:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 13:30:16