Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Are there any forums as helpful as this one.. Only for C++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 12:00
well the subject is my question but just in case:

Are there any forums as helpful as this one.. Only for C++

Im thinking of learning it only i dont think i could do it without an active forum to visit.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 13:27
if you find one then lemme know... most shun C++ beginners, those which don't talk so far over your head you havn't a bloody clue what they're on about.

the way i took was actually bookmarked MSDN access (it has almost all the information ya'll ever need) and the DirectX SDK.
Between the two i've really stumbled and sussed out alot of C++ to a level where i know what alot of people are talking about now

its alot easier if you know C first though, cause its the same basic syntax - the C communities are generally more friendly and helpful (those beware of the Linux & OpenGL lure, it catchs C users and never lets go )

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 17:54
You could learn the syntax in an afternoon, no joke, but to "learn c++" is a bit of a misnomer, 'cause you are really learning api's and libraries, which if you wanted to all of them would take an individual several lifetimes...

One fun way is to get visual c++ 6.0, the directX sdk and the CDX library, which is an api designed to wrap most of the 2D directX functions into a manageable form... Though you would be better off in the long term going straight into either the directX libraries or the openGL ones. Prepare for a long and frustrating time of it though, it's no-where near as much fun as DB

Really it's such an elitist language you're better off buying a c++ game coding book and learning the basics that way, most of them come with an api on a bundled cd and a demo game so you can learn by example. After that you can go on the newsgroups and forums and at least have an idea of what people mean when they say classes, exception handling, char proc void reference/dereference etc...

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:21:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:21:45