Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Insane FPS House competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 03:09 Edited at: 11th May 2007 03:34
Insane FPS is now going to hold their first monthly competition. It's nothing great but I'm taking a stab at it. This isn't 100% official yet though. My forums have died down a lot lately so I'm trying to bring it back to life. I'm hoping this will do just that.

The competition will be on the best house design. Judged on 4 factors.

1. Realism- Is the house realistic? Do the entities you placed belong in realistic areas? You know, that type of realism thing.

2. Artful- Is the house decorated accordingly? Or is it just a plain room with nothing in it.

3. Loading and Frame Rates speed- Are the loading times drastic and how are the Frames? All those entities might cause a big slow down.

4. Custom media- Everyone needs custom media. We've all seen the stock media so show us something new.

This is quite simple. You have 3 layers to work with. The top layer MUST be used as a roof. So you can only have 2 layers to make rooms with.

Now I know this isn't the greatest competition ever. So I know you guys don't think it is worth putting your prize up. But I have worked very hard with my forums and website. I've tried to think of SEVERAL ways to expand the users. But mainly, I've gotten nowhere.

Commander and Chief and I got on MSM messenger and started to brainstorm ideas. To hold a monthly competition was the best we could think of. "But what kind of competition?" I thought to myself. After an hour or so of pacing throughout my house I decided "Why not make a house?"

Only one winner will be declared. So it's not like the monthly level design competition where there's been only 3 entries and they all win. Depending on the amount of entries I may do a top 3. But as of now, just one winner.

I will not announce the start of this competition just yet. I will need at least 3 people to offer a prize. After that, the competition begins and I will release a dead line.

If I am able to get prizes listed I will edit this post and post the OFFICIAL rules to the competition. Better yet, I'll just post it now.

You have already seen how this is graded. But here is the following rules.

1. The final build must be in an exe or zip folder.

2. Must be uploaded to filefront. The link shall be sent to me at my email fpsc_user@yahoo.com

3. Only 3 layers, each layer must be within 12x10 segment units. The top layer must only be used as a roof. So 2 layers only shall be used as the rooms of the house.

4. You must be a registered user to the forums at Insane FPS Forums. This is where the competition will be held.

I do hope people will find this a fun and entertaining competition. This is a very unique competition and most likely not seen before around here.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 03:15
I'm thinking of entering, but maybe I shouldn't. I can't download custom media.

Can I be a judge, maybe? I'll tally up the points. No, I'm serious. Can't download anything.

**OFF-TOPIC** Jenkins, guess what? Yep, I changed the name of my game again, but this'll be the last name change, I promise.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 03:16 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 02:38
You don't need to worry about lack of custom media. I've seen your layouts and you are very good. You have just as much o' chance as everyone else.
Quote: "
**OFF-TOPIC** Jenkins, guess what? Yep, I changed the name of my game again, but this'll be the last name change, I promise."

lol, I know.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 06:10 Edited at: 11th Apr 2007 06:11
I'll enter i suppose, 3 layers, so 1 ground level, 2 storys? can i ask about basements?

(EDIT)

And what about, if i do the 12x10 *12 length and 10 width?* can i have like scenery outside, so to make a window look realer, you know waht i mean?

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 06:26 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 02:38
Outside scenery is acceptable and won't take apart of the 12x10.

It doesn't really matter which way you go 12x10. As long as one side goes no higher than 12 and the other goes no higher than 10.

Basements are always cool and can add a sort of creepiness. So we'll go 4 layers. 1 layer for the roof. 2 For the house itself (abides by the 12x10 rule). And the last layer for the basement. I don't really know about its size so let's say, the basement can be no larger than 4x5. That's hmmmm, roughly 32 by 40 feet?. So I guess that's good.

Well I'm glad to see that someone is interested. However, I still need someone to lend a prize.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 06:32
4x5? why cant we just have it by the 12x10 rule, my basement is huge in real life, its a storage basement *old house*

Death has no end
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 06:40 Edited at: 11th Apr 2007 06:42
My basement is larger than my first floor.

EDIT : Wait. Would we get more points if we make the custom content rather than use someone else's custom content? Because, I mean, it's all custom. Please say we get more points for making it.

EDIT #2 : Dang, Bloodeath. You responded not even a minute after me!

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 06:40
same here

Death has no end
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 06:44 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 02:38
Okay. I don't have a basement so I didn't realize the size of them. We'll have it just 12x10 then.

And to your question Inspire. Are you saying if YOU made the custom media, than you get more points for using SOMEONE else's media? If so than yeah definitely.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 07:03
Well if its ok with you jenkins im going to start working on this now, even if no prizes are awarded, i may turn it into a game if the comp fails, or even if it succedes i might still make a game, but im all stoked, because you gave me a good idea lol. thanks jenkins i appreciate it

Death has no end
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 07:07 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 02:39
Lol, no problem. I hope it does go good. I think it is a unique idea. But it all depends on if people are willing to lend a prize.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 07:15 Edited at: 11th Apr 2007 07:18
Jenkins whats your MSN if you have one?

(EDIT)

As an extended prize *meaning when im done with it* when im done with my Bloodpack ill give the winner it for free *thats if jenkins wants to do that, which just means you wont get this prize untill im done making it. But its cool if you dont want to take this offer up jenkins, i understand members might think its gonna turn up into Vaporware

Death has no end
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Jenkins I looked at your site and looking good a lot of work has gone into it.

I will give the winner a copy of Vishnu v1.3 for this comp

Best S4
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 07:29 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 02:39
Wow! Thanks guys! Thanks Bloodeath and S4!

Bloodeath- I'll gladly take up that offer. Your pack is looking very good. And this won't end for like another month.

Well since there is two prizes out there, I think this is ready. I was going to wait until 3 but both are extremely awesome prizes. So tomorrow after school I'm going to make everything official. Give the dead lines and what not.

Again thanks guys! Vishnu and the blood pack are both really awesome prizes.

[EDIT] WOOHOO! This is just too exciting. I think this will be very successful now.

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 12:35
o0o0oo Vishnu
i might join

Mods, its 500x100, so you cant tell me its bigger than 600x120
Sly
Years of Service
User Offline
A very intresting competition,though i do not yet feel like my skill's are good enough yet.Hopefully i will be able to enter though.

-Sly
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 16:51 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 02:39
Sly- Just take a stab at it. It's very good for practice. The first month I joined I entered the monthly competition and got second to last. My level was cruddy but it was very good practice. The next month's competition you could just see how much I improved. A huge improvement from the first months. And this is a good competition to get the feel of how to lay entities down in your level. Plus you get to be a member of my forums. Which is for Newcomers so you may just learn a thing or two while you're over there.

Sly
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't have any model packs so dont expect anything else then the Stock media and media found for free though.

-Sly
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 18:33
OK I'm going to attemtp it. So were allowed 4 storys total right?
Slayer_2
Sly
Years of Service
User Offline
I wish that Prince Of Darkness dude was around to donate his MultiMap costumizable(Yes,i was looking through these forums a while before registering)

-Sly
Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 21:59
I'm going to pry myself away from the level design for my new game and get to work on some architectual engineering! (yes that means im going to enter...) its a shame that this didnt come along when i was using FPSC to practice building design, i made an extremely realistic house (i think) but it was quite big though...

best of the rest!
BIG computer geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 23:31
sombody show us a screenie!

Gender signs.
Men are the arrows = we look after the family
Women are the crosses = especially when you come home from the pub smelling of cheap perfume
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 00:57 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 02:39
Quote: "So were allowed 4 storys total right?"

Yes. But the top story can only be a roof. No rooms aloud on the top story.

Quote: "sombody show us a screenie!"

Of what?

Quote: "I don't have any model packs so dont expect anything else then the Stock media and media found for free though."

Don't worry about it. It's still good practice. But don't forget that you have to register at my forums.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 01:17 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 02:39
Okay guys I have the official rules. Head on over to http://www.forumsfpsc.co.nr to hear the official rules.

Remember you must be a registered user.

Judges must also be registered users. I have had a few offers of people wanting to judge but I would like you to post at my forums.

~NOTE~ We need judges really bad.

Sly
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to register?This wont get you alot of people entering i think,they rather keep it here...like me.

-Sly
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 00:54 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 02:39
Quote: "I have to register?This wont get you alot of people entering i think,they rather keep it here...like me."

This is the whole point of the COMPETITION!!!! What difference does it make? Whether it is here or at my forums. Registering isn't going to do anything except take five minutes of your time. Probably even less. If you don't want to register.... so be it. If you don't register, you don't enter. End of story. Hate to break it to you but that's how this is going.

Anymore takers? Come on people, it's an awesome competition.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 01:19
You have to register at your forums?!!? OK I'm out! JK man yeah what diff does it make I problay won't stick around long anyhow no offence Jenkins Yo-ho Yo-ho the life of an FPSC forum-er is the life for me.
Slayer_2
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
I feel that people should have the choice if they want to register or not to enter the COMPETITION, I think having people enter the competition from both forums will still be a good promo thing for your site.

Best S4
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 01:51 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 02:39
Yeah, but then people will just do it here just to enter the competition. And won't even think about my forums. I'm just doing the thing that KeithC did with his Maze competition. He made people register at his site and no one complained. But now people complain when you have to register here? What's up with that?

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 02:09
Guys it only takes 5 minutes to register. Whats so bad about that?

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 02:36 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 04:15
[EDIT2] That was an accident.

[EDIT] Cool, I got mine up now.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 03:42
I was joking
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 04:16
Slayer- I know you were joking. I'm mainly pointing out Sly and S4's opinion. Not that his opinion was wrong but if I did that I just know people wouldn't sign up. They would just do the competition through here.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 04:33
I would too
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Enter the COMPETITION does not mean you win the prize.

Everyone can enter the comprtition but only people that reg can win,the people entry would still be judge and if they win and reg they win the prize if they win and don't reg they just get a note that they won.

This would work for both partys if you want to enter for fun you can and if you want to enter to win you can,just makes things a little bit more easy.

Like the maze comp you could still play it without being a reg member.

Best S4
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 04:51 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 04:53
That's a good idea. Alright I'll do that S4. Just let me dig up the set and final rules real quick.

[EDIT]
Insane FPS is now going to hold their competition.

The competition will be on the best house design. Judged on 4 factors.

1. Realism- Is the house realistic? Do the entities you placed belong in realistic areas? You know, that type of realism thing.

2. Artful- Is the house decorated accordingly? Or is it just a plain room with nothing in it.

3. Loading and Frame Rates speed- Are the loading times drastic and how are the Frames? All those entities might cause a big slow down.

4. Custom media- Everyone needs custom media. We've all seen the stock media so show us something new.

This is quite simple. You have 4 layers to work with. The top layer MUST be used as a roof. So you can only have 3 layers to make rooms with.

There is only one announced winner. Depending on the amount that enter I may make it the top 3.

The final build must be in a .zip or a .exe

You must upload it to http://www.filefront.com

Remember, you may only use 4 layers. Each layer must be no larger than 12x10 segment units.

You may not use stolen or pirated media. If you submit a house with stolen or pirated media you will not be entered and you will be banned permanently. Over here at Insane FPS we take pirating and stealing media very seriously.

The maximum file size is 300 mb.

The forum rules apply.

This contest begins the minute you finish reading this until May 11 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) (23:59 for countries outside of the U.S.)

You do not need to make your own music or menu screen. No extra points will be awarded.

Judges will be given detailed instructions on how to (yes you guessed it) judge the entries.

~Prizes~
S4real's Vishnu.
And Bloodeath666's blood and stuff. ~NOTE~ At this moment he is not finished with the pack. If chosen you will receive when he finishes.
(Other prizes may be put up throughout the contest.)
Gone Model Pack 1 ~NOTE~ Same as Bloodeath666's Blood and Stuff Pack
~Judges~
Commander in Chief - Official Judge #1

We are in need of judges.

You may only claim a prize if you register. If you do not register, then you can only bear the title of the winner.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 05:27
Hey jenkins, out of curiousity, do i have to have a winzone/ purpose of the level, except for just sheer looks?

Death has no end
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 05:29
You don't need a winzone. There really wouldn't be a point. I guess that's really up to you.

Sly
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm,if i enter ill just use Prince Of Darkness his account,he wouldn't mind...He quits FPSC anyway.

-Sly
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 04:31
Oops, does Jenkins have the bumpsies?

Sly- How are you going to use POD's account? Why are you making such a big deal out of registering?

Sly
Years of Service
User Offline
POD stopped with TGC completely,he let me install FPSC(Wich is legal as he said,you are allowed to make 2 installs as he said,correct him if he's wrong please.)And ill just use his account then,as he doesnt use it anyway.

And i hate to register to another PHPBB forum,all i got of PHPBB was LOADS of SPAM.

-Sly
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 18:47
Yeah?

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 06:07
i think Sly is just a n00b jks
just register, i havnt got any spam

Mods, its 500x100, so you cant tell me its bigger than 600x120
Sly
Years of Service
User Offline
I might be a newcomer,but that doesnt matter at all,I just dont want SPAM in my inbox,as its clean now.

-Sly
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 01:28 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:12
heh - I have an email addy I just use for sites that might give spam - I have currently 2,683 items of unread mail in that email inbox! (it's gmail)

that will take a while to read...

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 03:09
lol my first email ever, gets about 15k spam messages a day from signing up, just make a seperate email SLY if your that worried about it

Death has no end
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 04:49
Oh, so you're worried about spam Sly? Just do what Bloodeath said and make a new email.

Sly
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont want multiple emails,annoying.Cant remember my email adresses when i have multiple.

-Sly
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 22:57
just make it the same but add a 2 on the end or something; thats what I do

1 hour Kalspher Demo soon to be released for public BETA!
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2007 00:53
or just stop complaining, enter or not, we're not your mothers, we're not going to hold your hand. make a new email, or dont worry about spam. End of story.

Death has no end

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 15:25:03
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 15:25:03