Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / why is it RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 22:03
does anyone know wh ever one wants to make an RPG and nothing else. i mean i'm just as bad as the next person is my first project failed RPG my current project RPG . have done somme other stuff in my time though
Newbie Now; Expert Later
Current project:The Sorus
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8e2ce249/bc/logo.jpg?bc6XVw.ALSzFxXyM[/img]
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 22:12
I guess that it's because the type of person with the patience to play an RPG is likely to be the type of person with the patience to program.

What type of game do I want to make? RPG. Not sure I've got the patience though (I haven't even got around to starting it).
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 22:18 Edited at: 18th May 2003 22:53
edit*
no its not about patience i don't think, coz when you start on your first project (its always an RPG) you rush it and it fails, showing you will have no patiences. See i think it is some thing really phcological , see some thing about the kind of people, people who programme are and stuff about the world we live in and wanting to get out or some thing like that.
edit*

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 22:29
Quote: "see i think it is some thing really phcological see some tink about the kind of people people who programme are and stuff about the world we live in and wanting to get out some thing like that."

Sorry, but I could understand this sentence. Can you re-write it (and not include words like phcological and tink, because they don't exist).
Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 23:09
Its like if your a programmer you want to escape the "MATRIX" if you like. Psychologists have been on about this for years its an idea that artistic people want to find a way out of this world so they create fictional worlds. They call it the matrix(thats where the idea of the film came from" some people who are smart and persitant get to know the matrix therefor can understand what u mean crystal.

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 00:32
I don't want to make an RPG. Frankly, I hate RPG's. I'd much rather a nice puzzle or adventure game.

"Food is güd!" -Dean
"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Click Here!!!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 01:17
lol i guess its the same as why did everyone want to make an FPS when DB first came out

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 02:53
Ok, I think I can field this one (I'm sort of the exppert on the topic of RPGs, mostly because I throw a fit when even someone calls Zelda one). Think of all the different types of games as types of books. Action games are like comic books, puzzle games are like crossword or logic problem books, horror games are like Steven King's lkatest thriller, ect... Now RPG are like epic novils, like Lord or the Rings. RPGs are unlike other typers of games because they pull you into the story, you become more attached to it.

When you experance something great you want to become part of, like sing the words to a song. People want to make RPGs becuase they've feel in love with one before and they want to have a deeper connection with it. Basicly it's the same way with all forms of art, you experance it, you're moved by it, you are inspired by it.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 03:34 Edited at: 19th May 2003 06:06
The problem with RPG's is that they are all the same. I don't want to see another anime-style-sword-fighting-medieval RPG. Maybe a space RPG? I'm sure that most will disagree though.

[Edit]
Never mind that dumb comment...

"Food is güd!" -Dean
Click Here!!!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 05:58
Maybe you should accully look around.

Star Ocean 2 (PS1)- Space Rpg
Earthbound (SNES) - Modern Goofy RPG
Xenosaga (PS2) - Sci-fi RPG
Xenogaers (PS1) - Mecha RPG

There are many more, just because it's Final Fantasy doesn't mean it the only one out there.

The reason why there are so many fantasy RPGs is because the UK and America can relate to them. There are a TON of rpgs of all types in Japan but we don't get to see them since US pulishers don't think they'll sell. Same reason we don't see to many movies from India or books from South Africa.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 06:05 Edited at: 19th May 2003 06:05
Oh.. Sorry for that

I've never heard of those, except Earthbound. It's a shame about the games from Japan. Sorry again, Arrow

"Food is güd!" -Dean
Click Here!!!
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 06:39
its pretty funny that Star ocean they still use swords (Ashron rocks though)

I'm getting old of rpg's, i hate when you and the boss are both down to 1 health and it's his turn all you can do it cross your fingers and hope he misses. Wereas in real time rpg's you can dogdge the attack, i fell in love with Kingdom Hearts.

As I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
- Psalms 23:4
aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 06:53 Edited at: 19th May 2003 06:54
I love astetics and RPGS let me focus on my graphics and art not on crazy functionality and complex inteligence, so thats why I like the RPG... I agree with the matrix theory too, like it alot love making my own worlds

The Great Schism.- The Earths reaction to Heavons invasion.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 08:37
No worries Andrew11.

Can't say I like Action/RPGs (Musashi, Kingdom Hearts, ect...), they never have the massive amounts of plot, levels (both location levels and strength levels), or charcters that I come to expect in RPGs. You notice how you only get to play as only one guy in most Action/RPGs? One of my favorite RPGs (ok, RPG/Statagy) is Front Mission 3. Exellent story, very nice battle system, multiple paths, and 150 hours to beat, I love it.

Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 15:39
Quote: "I throw a fit when even someone calls Zelda one"

The reason this happens is because Zelda is almost pretending to be one: You collect equipment, your max health increases as you progress, you talk to lots of characters, you go to places called 'Dungeons'.

Zelda has basically taken RPG, removed some of it's guts and stuck some action game guts in as a replacement.
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 18:52
has anyone played the gamecube game: lost kingdoms... thats a pretty cool game surprisingly enough. I dunno what class it comes into, i suppose action, for some reason reading this thread just made me want to ask

uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 19:22
Not nearly as many people want to make RPGs as they think. If you consider Final Fantasy or similar games RPGs, then you really want to make an adventure game.

RPGs are Gothic, Morrowind, Arx Fatalis... that type of game.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 19:34
well talk about zelda and stuff if you think about RPGS being role playing games all games are RPGs e.g. james bond is a FPS but you play the role of james bond so that a role playing game, i a racing game you pick the drive so you play the role of him, a role playing game. i like the idea of the matrix i love creating worlds.

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 21:04
lol i see you got you bouncing booby fairy working i think that ur taking the term RPG too literally, everyone knows the sort of game intended by it, even though most games are role playing. Personally i define an RPG as any game where you solve puzzles and develop as a character and go through a long story, so id class zelda as a nearly RPG whereas final fantasy is definitely one, so i dunno why mouse said it was adventure.

uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 21:48 Edited at: 19th May 2003 21:49
i know i was taking it literally that was the point of the post. i class an i RPG as a game with a good story that the game is basic al round that involves puzzles battle. it that respect i surpose that MGS is a bit of one coz that has a very intense plot

and the fairy add make me a bit more of an individual hehe rather than using the old site one (not saying there bad or nothing)

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 23:23
I know RPG means Role Playing Game, but the term has come to mean something specific in gaming lingo, and you'll need to use it if you want to establish any kind of communication with customers, other gamers, etc.

In an RPG, you generally build up stats, find more items, and have a pretty freeform time. Even if you're 'role playing' in a different type of game, it's not an RPG as such.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 02:26
Whilst I love RPG's (BG and BG2, I thought all was lost for RPG's until I played BG2, though planescape wasn't bad), though I tend to class true RPG's as non-linear, therefore I see Final Fantasy as more of an adventure type one, I know this isn't making sense, even as I'm reading it I know it isn't, I hate it when I can't express myself properly.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 02:36
No, that makes perfect sense. The FF games have never been RPGs. They're adventure games.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 02:45 Edited at: 20th May 2003 02:45
Ok, maybe it did make sense, I think I wrote it wasn't making sense because I love the Final Fantasy's, and somehow I was dissing them(?).

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 05:09
Noooo, noooo... didn't sound like a dissing... the adventure genere can be quite fun, actually... played the remake of KQ2, Romancing the Stones? That was fun, finished it yesterday... another game to add to my adventure collection...

Me, I hate the FF games, but that's a different point x-d

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 06:42
I have always wanted to make an RPG, I just didnt quit even tho I had
to make about 4 different rpg engine types before i found the methods that i prefer to use.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 06:46 Edited at: 20th May 2003 06:49
A) Mouse, read my second post of this Thread.

B) You're seriously mixing up Adventure games and RPGs. Flackback to 1985, acid-washed jeans were "tubular", synthisizers were king, and video game were growing beyond Pitfall. Two distint types of games were being born. The first one was like an Action game, but it had a story and puzzles. It had more than than the tipical Contra formula, all stuff you had to do made it seam like a quest. Adventure games were born; Zelda, Gargolya's Quest, and others became very popular. Then came another type of game, one that mimic the very popular style of table-top RPGs like Chainmail and Dungeons & Dragons. They desided to name them after the original form they mimiced. Thus Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and other RPG games came to light.

C) I really hate how I have to keep explaining the differances between RPGs and Adventure games along with reminding people what games belong to what genra.

Adventure Games
Zelda
Ico
Dark Cloud

RPGs
Final Fantasy
Everquest
Phantasy Star

The Biggest Diffences Between the Two
RPG have some sort of level system to get stronger while Adventures rely on more powerful items

RPG ussally have more player characters than Adventures

RPGs are longer. (<<note the period, say it aloud)

RPG have contenued to grow while Adventures are seldom produced and are offen mislabled as RPGs

A quick review just so you understand.

RPGs get there name not solely by being Role Playing Games but by emulating the Pen and Paper RPGs from which trhey're named after.

Aventures game (which came around the same time as RPGs) were considered different than platform or action games at the time because the story unfolded as you played along with the fact you did more than Kill monster A, Get treasure B, repeat.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 07:33
well whether you guys want to admit it or not Zelda is actually an RPG, the point in an RPG isn't just about statistics (infact thats what an AD&D game is) ... the point is that you can interact with your environment to pregress the story, and character interaction is a must.

did no one ever wonder why Half-Life is called as an Action/RPG?
The traditional Japanese RPG is the likes of Final Fantasy or Grandia, which involve simple stories told in a very long and complex fashion ... but the character interaction is there and to keep it more interesting you gain more magic, moves and power along the way.

The traditional English RPG is the likes of Morrowwind or Fallout, where you just interact with your environment but the story is a very long an complex one which actually oftenly doesn't matter to the player, as it is all about just progressing thier stats.

now although you could argue that because both have stats that they're true RPGs - the only real thing they have in common is that you have to interact with the environment & character to progress the story. As they grow your statistics in different ways, where FF does it with levels which them become a set route of magic - in morrowwind your levels go up but you decide what part of you that you want to progress.

they're extremely different implimentations of a similar system, as the English RPGs are based on Dungeon&Dragons (anyone old enough will understand) whereas japanese ones are just based on Animé where the aim is to just become more powerful.

Zelda and Pokémon are very very good example of native RPGs, they have stories which are quite enthrawling, you interact with character to proceed on with the story, and you collect items to help you in this quest.
Remember you can't confine an RPG to being based from AD&D because RPG's are biggest in Japan which never had that game (as it is actually really a 100% american/english thing) - and it was them which came up with the rules behind RPGs, and it is just over the past 6years that AD&D games have been started to be classed as RPG games instead.

just because an RPG's battles occur in realtime and not solely based on statistics doesn't make it any less of an RPG, because it isn't about the style of battling thats what the seperate types of them are for ... its about the story being told and the way it is being told but you taking on the Role of the Main character and learning about the story as you go.

FPS arn't RPGs because you know the entire story from the begining, you know roughly what is going on, and what you have to blast etc...
Action/Platformers arn't RPGs either because although the story progresses, it'll progress after each level - there is nothing you do to progress them other than complete the level.

it is the open architecture of RPGs which makes them what they are, at times they may seem greatly linear - however between the storylines you can explore everywhere you have currently available, there are things beside the actual storyline and path present.

maybe now you understand what an RPG is arrow

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 20:56
Mmmm... sorry, Arrow, you're mistaken. Like it or not, things have changed since 85. Categories have evolved. Final Fantasy is not an RPG-- it sticks a few elements in like 'leveling' and 'hit-point based combat', but regardless it is still nothing but a fancy (or very poor from my point of view) adventure game.

I haven't played Zelda so I can't comment on it, but from what I've heard it's an adventure game too. The point of an RPG is that it's at least mostly freeform, and you're not set on a linear path. Avernum, SSI titles, Ultima, the aforementioned games such as Morrowind-- those are RPGs.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 21:05
so than what an mmrpg is it an online one.

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 22:05
Your point is...?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 22:07
that things like some of the latest ff games have been said to be MMRPGs and it has been proven here that ffs are not RPGs

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 22:31
WHAT?

MMORPGS are online RPGs. None of the FF games are online.

If you're talking about upcoming games-- no, that proves nothing. If they're making a MMORPG, then they're totally changing the mechanics of the series from an adventure, into an RPG.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 23:47
okay okay i'm wrong my bad. sorry everyone crystal shouts sorry everyone

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 02:13
Mouse, look into any gaming magazine, website, or company and they'll tell you FF is an RPG. I don't know how you can say it's not, it doesn't even have real time combat, it perfected the basic style of RPGs which most other RPGs follow, it's the frelling bar where all other RPGs are messured against! If FF is an Adventure what the hell is your defination of an RPG?

Zelda is an Adventure game, it is one of the last of them. In the begining it they were different from RPGs, but now they are nearly the same. I think there has been a genra merger somewhere that someone forgot to tell us about. Adventures have become Action/RPGs, however I'll still contenue to call game that are true Adventure game by their orriginal names, I'm notalgic like that.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 02:55
Sorry, but I've looked at a large quantity of decent sites and they all call FF an adventure game. A large amount of the diehard fans would shoot their foot before saying its an RPG, because they think it's downing it somehow, but the game is adventure through and through. The 100% linear plot and 'walking through areas' against rendered backdrops are only seen in adventure games.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 04:48 Edited at: 21st May 2003 04:49
-Like it or not, things have changed since 85

Well mouse...I was playing RPG's before you were even born(1989)...In fact,at that moment,I had passed a hord of games such as Dragon Warrior series and the original FinalFantasy which were RPG's

The closest game to a real RPG would be a text-based game...or based on those 'books were you are the hero'.

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 05:32
I ran a club and played many paper based engines for a very long time.
(easily 10 years)

I think I have some inclination on the subject at hand.

most of the time tho, Kids dont ROLE PLAY. so its all a joke.

You play a game but you speak like your in the future.
You take no role in the character except for the fact it carries all your perfect items making u a power gaming moron.

Most of you are power gaming merchants.
sure u might be a 90th level elven ranger but your main interest is to aquire and trade powerfull magic items that most of the time was aquired outside of the game parameters.

"Does thou know of the beast with one eye?"

Only a few RPG players on paper had the guts and the foresight to stay in character and speak let alone act in a way that mimics your character.

Try that dialogue online in most RPGS and you will get called GAY.

RPGS heh more like Real Pathetic Gamers

Raging Power Gamers is more akin to the style of the luzas who abuse the systems today.

Power Gamers were the bain of role playing and in todays standards its the moral fabric of the user to install a hack or chest or not.

most of the itme kids play it to escape so they vent there focused problems in a saturation of the games play.

The closest RPG is a real life scenario with costume. Most the rest isnt true rpg its more akin to describing what your character would do.

People who play the games also dont bother to take interest in the story they charge past everything blindly rushing rushing to the end, thats it no stop n smell the flowers on the way.

Let alone take into consideration the fuedal factions that exist between races in a RPG world.

there is no room for true role playing in a computer game as your limited to a finite amount of actions permitted by the game.

This cramps character styles and abilities.

a mud or moo is still closer to the RPG spirit than anything else I have seen on a computer.

They are abbreviated simulations of role playing games.

What moron decided that should be the name for this genre.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 09:12 Edited at: 21st May 2003 09:14
Too true Indi, ah I miss playing D&D. I love the role playing in table top RPGs, hell that's the best part. Ya know a long time ago my group didn't even have a balttle for over 3 months (real time). He'ld just set up the great role playing encounters, it was loads of fun. Too bad I can find anyone to plat around here, they're all, "What? You have to read?"

"Sorry, but I've looked at a large quantity of decent sites and they all call FF an adventure game."
Can you post one? Personally I'm wondering what kinda authority you have in this argument, do you even remember the NES, let alone the Atrai? Hell, I been playing video games since I was two, back on the old Odessy.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 09:27
(^_^) funnily enough Half-Life seems to be the only classed RPG which conforms to what the older users see as an RPG, taking on the role of a given character.

however you have to actually look sometime at how Zelda makes you interact with the environment, how you can gain power... anyone who reckons that it has and always will be an Action game rather than an RPG is just completely braindead.

the same goes for Final Fantasy though, because its routes are deep seeded in being a role playing - the original pen&paper ones started out as just being a bunch of nerds getting together to pretend to be something else (perhaps with rules and dice too) but you're still just pretending to be something else.
however you have to redefine this for when your using a computer and your other characters can now be defined in realtime rather than need someone else to be sitting there to be them.

the overall point in the pen&paper RPGs was actually just about a few guys hanging out and having some fun playing a game, was more about actually just something to do as a group rather than being about the game. Obviously it grew into a nerd paradise where they could actually be respected for being who they were - but the point remains today in the fact that when they made the translation onto computers we didn't have the internation network, hell you'd be lucky if you even had a home network (or even more than one computer) so when creator made them the idea was to give you the role of playing a character and you play the story as if you WERE that character.
Overtime they've also added the ability for your characters to grow and evolve into more powerful people, suchas was with the point in having the pen&paper with your dice for your D&D games.
However even on your own the most you can ever do is take on the role of a single person and play a story whilst growing to meet the challenges ahead.
anyone who's played D&D will know the main point in having your stats grow was so that when you got into the deeper dungeons with the more powerful monsters you actually had a chance to actually beat them - a level 1 elf never would stand much of a chance against a lvl11 thunder dragon

further still the evolution has gone to the point where we now have Online RPGs which actually finally returns us to the entire point of the RPG ... which is a community game where you can become whatever you want to be.

although the time when you had to actually imagine that you were that Elf taking on the big dragon and prying that the dice rolled just the right way so you could slay it and take the gold, it is in essence the same game - there to build friendships with people who have a common interest.
even better is it is now not just a hobby for the outcasts, but for everyone because of the format it now takes on everyone can now see the appeal and the stigma of it being of just obsessed nerds is lifted.

see thats what is what makes the RPG what it is, you are the character you play - you are playing to a story (which originally would be made up along with special rules by the GamesMaster) - and along the way your improving yourself to meet the challenges you'll face ahead

if there is a perfect example of a computer game which is like that i can't think of anything better than Zelda, so what if you don't have actual levels for your power and such ... the point is still made that by defeating enemy you get heat peices which give you more life - with more cash you can buy better weapons so you have more power and within the quest you get special magical items which can do many things.

just because you don't have a little bar that says your a level 5 Link with 10attack 3defence etc... doesn't make it any less of an RPG - and the online ones are what really makes it true.

i mean if you wanted to actually argue about true RPGs on the PC then really TheSimeOnline would probably one of the best examples of a true RPG - you gain stats, the game is open, you can buy new items for yourself to gain better states and it is a community game.
There is no killing but i don't think killing evil demons is really a prerequist of an RPG is it?

as for FF being an action game... i mean c'mon what kinda stupid parallel universe do you live in. FF is about as much action as the pope is hindu!
it is very very strongly story based, you can grow your stats, you can explore your gaming arena to find new treasures, and you take on the role of the hero - for gods sake even the battling is a hit'n'miss affair and very remanisant of the pen&paper RPGs!

the new FF10, now that would be a hard one to class ... but it is so far removed from the series i don't know what the hell they were thinking, but i'm hoping that they've learnt from thier mistakes for FF11.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 09:42
any game that tries to emulate role playing from its core is a simulation cut down heavily.

Its not true Role Playing its just a simulation and not the real mckoy.

A simulation of something will give you an indication of the genre but Id hardly use that a reference to an argument.

Role playing is something that will be near to AI to achieve in a realistic sense. You would need a form of fuzzy logic and hell of a lot of prethought if you were to give the player the freedom that the paper variants will give you.

When D&D changed from the original "chain mail" handbook to a multinational book publisher a lot of aspects died about roleplaying.

A new breed of player was created who liked to stipulate rules all the time and or was a power gamer.

These people ruined many games and frightened away good dungeon masters and referees who prefered not to argue. As soon as they let go of the game and the players were convincing the dm to hand out a plethora of monty haul items then it went down the poop shoot.

If there was a computer game that could emulate all the facets of the paer variant I would call it a RPG.

At the moment no game I have seen on the pc or mac or SGI has come even close.

Some are very broad in features u can achieve but it would take a huge monumental challenge to recreate a true RPG on a computer platform.

Just because some moron coined a phrase a while ago to abbreviate his ignorance on a game genre doesnt mean u have to go baa like the rest of the sheep.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 10:04
but you're fogetting that games on a computer MUST be changed in order to actually be fun.

a good example is a GamesWorkshop games, suchas Space Hulk - there have been many recreations of that game on the PC, however the point in the actual tabletop version is to play against someone else and decorate your characters by painting them up.
The whole experience just cannot be recreated on a computer, because turn based gameplay is something that has an artform to keep it interesting - i mean just look at the Civilization Series...

if you recreate these games exactly you actually take away alot of what makes them fun in real-life, and although sure you could also paint your characters on the computer using photoshop or something - as far as i'm conserned there is NO comparison to painting in Photo as there is with a real paintbrush and paint. It just doesn't carry the same satisfaction.
and the games themselves are very slow and oftenly the rules that make it fun an fair on the table suddenly seem stupid on the computer... because it is a completely different medium, and i don't think people understand this.

the recreation of Warhammer on the PC is Command&Conquer, so if you can remember something like that perhaps you can begin to understand why a game RPG is not identical to its real-life counterpart.

its like Quake, the reallife version is PaintBall or Quasar but personally i prefer the game version to the reallife version because the human instance to cheat is oftenly frustrating as hell - and the only place it has been fun to do was when i had a wargame in the RAF.
but still you can't have the selection of weaponry you can on Quake which also makes it slightly more boring.

when Holodecks are created perhaps then a RealLife version would be alot better although technically still on the computer still. yet seriously technology for that is a good hundred years off, as Holograms themselves are hard enough to create - let along hardlight which we can hold and touch.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 11:06
"the recreation of Warhammer on the PC is Command&Conquer"
lol warhammer 40k perhaps if were hard pressed to make a valid argument there.

I think you should refer to the warcraft series as a better comparison to true warhammer games if u want to convince me of the new genre your talking about.

Real Time Strategy

Theres another misnomer if it was realtime! it take 3 weeks to build something complex let alone 5 years of real prototype coming to full fruition.

and yes its still a simulation, you dont have to paint your figurines nor build the ping pong table into a rich landscape with polystyrine contour shaped peices for mountains and broken tv antennas as scalable model holders for heights of flying creatures.
You have to know the rules and have the opportunity to work with them in a place where more than one person is gathered.

The only problem is thats missing the point about RPGS. off track with conversation but i understand what your trying to say in a sense yet i fail to see the validation of an argument leading away that all electronic multimedia applications are tiny simulations of what is possible at the moments with our minds and paper.

when games can achieve this level of intricate and elaborate rules or someone dares to write one then its still a simulation albeit an accurate one.

The current naming conventions are innaccurate and ignorant, if you think about it a lot of are misnomers to represent a simulation or cut down variant of the original concept game.

What makes me laugh is everyone just follows along and never questions it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 12:08
well yeah i guess, but if we were going to be 100% technical about the naming of a games genre we'd have like 200 odd to remember.

don't know about you but i have trouble remembering all the current genres as is... and its only an overview description anyways.

if you think about it a Flight Simulation is always improving getting better physics and such due to the ever upgrading processor capabilities, but still the physics and control capabilities are not yet close to simulating a real aeroplane flight or the possible problems you'd face.
but each generations is an accurate simulation for the time it is released - if you used Microsoft Flight Sim 1.0 now and compaired it against 2003 you'd think that you have a good laugh at what used to believed as real physics.

i guess all we can do is wait until we need accurate representations within games... but at the end of the day we've got to remember playing chess on a computer against a computer or against a person is fun but is very empty rather than having a real chess set infront of you because it is just different, i don't know why it just is.
Guess its because people can invoke emotions and machines are just calculated and void.

ya know i can't wait for the day they can recreate the experience you get from collecting/painting/battling WH40K minatures, because it'll save me alot of space hehee

but that said i can't be so damn'd proud of a painting job i've done in photoshop for a model that i can put it on the mantle piece for everyone to see - and there is so much more to the Games Workshop games to actually collecting them and making them look uniqué than in the actual game itself.
Something i don't think a machine will ever replace

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 13:25
well i would never have imagined you raven to be a warhammer figurine painter as well

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 13:51
OMG I can't believe this, so I was not the only one?

It's so far back I can hardly remember, but I too had a magnifying glass and miniature tip paintbrushes...

Hehe, Even later on I was in a band with a guy who painted the warhammer figuerines and barely remembered doing it myself... That guy is now the drummer in UamI, hehehe.

I also remember bringing an automatic waterpistol to a D'nD meet specifically to represent a weapon I had picked up and used it on a guy accross the table, he never came back so the DM made up this mythical weapon from the future which "hurled forth acid like unto a dragons tears", hehehe.

But yeah perhaps that's why I enjoy the texturing of models more than the actual modelling or animations... funny that

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 15:14
oh hell yeah (^_^) i love it...
i'm not exactly too good at actual painting, i mean i'm good enough to make them look nice - but i'm not even close to the level you see at the Golden Demons
however its very relaxing, arts about the only thing that i can just sink into and enjoy doing however i like and let the world pass.

but also i loved to modify my models, like i'd slice off arms and attach weaponry onto bionic arms suchas lighting claws or something, then have fun nickin' my mom's hair pins bending them into pipeshapes and then putting very finely cut toilet tub cardboard around them - scrunch it up and paint it. Looked just like heavy duty piping.
Don't think you can really have as much fun creating something in Max or Maya then skinning it in Photoshop as you could finding useless things around the house and working on them until they look like something real

i never realised just how big Warhammer was until i started getting into talking with other digital artists online ... so many of them seemed to have been involved in D&D or Warhammer or something like that. Must be the fact that you can let your imagination run wild as if your a kid again i suppose, i wouldn't be surprised if within the next 5-10years the well of decent artist doesn't get alot smaller because TV has taken over so much of kids lives today, they don't tend to do much else anymore.

i like the way they're trying to get more people into itby using the LOTRs though

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 18:47
haha thats interesting to see the connection with warhammer here.
I used to use a fine needle to save my brushes from total destruction.

If u guaged your needle head correctly and applied a tiny amount of white on one side of the needle head (not easy to setup) then it would create the perfect white corona shine above the pupil and looked really nice as it breathed life into the figurine.

I never added stuff to the models or chopped them up, I repainted other crappy jobs for friends to get my fix when i couldnt afford some more packaged sculpted lead in a games workshop pack or something similar.

I would blutac large areas like the head if I had completed it so I would never slip up and wipe out half his face with a tiny paint mistake.

Finally removing most of the blutac at the end was kinda fun also.

I hated the grass fluff some people used to use on the base of the model. Over time the little green bits flake off everywhere.

I remember those fake plastic mounts with the angled slit for the base.

We used to replace them with Das modelling stuff

A guy who came from fruitvale canada in our role playing club wanted to play fungus as his D&D character in turn he bought a lot of lego men as his army since he had no figurines to play warhmammer.

there was no warhammer 40k then it tooks a few more years before it started to take over.

In the official book for warhammer 1 there must have been a typo for the cost of a goblin -1 as compared to 1

I would buy a lot of goblins and one large red dragon.
Once my goblin horde surrounded you and you waisted your attacks on the goblin horde my red dragon would swoop at the end of the round and be out of range except for elven archers ready to attack again next round.

It was very hard to counteract and became something of a legend set to fight with.

I see a great distinction with figurines and modelling.
Its almost a symbiosis between real and digital aspects of the creation process.

wow fun times eh?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 19:25
hehee... i never really got into Warhammer itself, have a few of the dragon models and a high elven princess or something like that - just cause i liked the look of them and wanted to paint them

certainly was a fun time, pitty now most of the hobby is taken up with plastic models - they're just not the same to paint with, they're too clean
and sides wheres the fun in carting around a whole plastic army hehee

used to have fun by going down to the games workshop shops at the time (watford was one of the first to have them when they started popping up) and spend like 3-4hrs a week just playing or learning howto paint from the guys in there.
and the shop wasn't very big, was like 12'x12' most of which was taken up by the gaming table hehe
remember one time i was struggling to open a pot of paint, i finally got it open but it slipped and when all over the assitants tank he's been painting for like 2hrs.
he just calmly got up took it in the back, grabbed another packet and started all over (^_^)

i always used sand for my grass though... like paint over bestial brown first then cake on PVC like a nice layer of it - dip it in the sand wait for it to dry then goblin green over that... when it was dry nothing was moving on or off it - finally finish up with dry brushing with some skull white.
if it was like concrete you'd find a piece of card, kinda do the same but put the glue only under it and enough to squidge out so you could dip it in the sand and then you paint a layer of grey, pain the grass roughly, add detail like cracks by using a knife then highlight

ahh thems were the days hehee

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 20:59
'The current naming conventions are innaccurate and ignorant, if you think about it a lot of are misnomers to represent a simulation or cut down variant of the original concept game.

What makes me laugh is everyone just follows along and never questions it.'

Why should we? There's nothing wrong with going with the flow, as long as you keep your perspective carefuly balanced. I see no reason to go and call 'Turkey sandwitches' 'Turkey, mayonase, relish and two pieces of bread sandwitches' because it's slightly innacurate.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 05:32:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 05:32:32