Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / where to start at

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 22:44
look i am fifteen and want to games programme for a living i have looked at job appication not to appley but for future use and i see that i will need skills in assembler (don't know what that is) c/c++ so i was wondering those who know those which should i learn first and do yuou know any tutorials for it i like to self teach myself coz i don't like other people hasseling me ok so a free tutorial would be great. if you can make it a good one. although i will be learning them for now when programming i stay true to DB
Newbie Now; Expert Later
Current project:The Sorus
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8e2ce249/bc/logo.jpg?bc6XVw.ALSzFxXyM[/img]
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 22:59
I can't give you advice, but I can tell you that assembler is a set of commands that represent the bit-patterns of MACHINE CODE. That is to say, it is a low-level language and does not contain commands such as basic, but tells the hardware itself (i.e. the processor) exactly what to do.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 23:03
Ok, you need to go to uni to get into games programming.

There are some instances when you don't but very rare now.

So you need English B or about @ GCSE and Math and Physics at College then You can do math or computer science at Uni.

There are games programming courses, but it is better to do computer science then you can go apps if you want.

Better to learn C++ first, maybe try with some VB first to get into programming terminology, VB does not cost much and you van learn a few things.

Then move onto PHP JAVA or somming similar and hit on C++.

From experience it is a lot easier this way, it may sound a lot but it gives a gental intro to programming and gives you ideas on how OOP works etc.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 14:09
i been programmin since i was 11 i know bbc basic plc (a psion language) and db and a bit of vb. so i don't need an intro. now why do i have to do physics.
crystal

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 15:30
Quote: "why do i have to do physics"

If you want to make a computer game with realism you do.
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 19:37
yeah but the stuff you will need to make a game real you could learn at GCSE higher tier

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 20:13
But the stuff you need to do to make money envoloves a lot more than GCSE physics.

Yeah you could get the graviy right, but what about proper physics. You must know how 2 objects react when they collide etc.

Also you need one science to get into uni, computer ones prefere physics.

And GCSE higher tier is not gonna teach you anything about physics worth implementing in a game. I did it, and 2 months on space with another 2 on forces is not enough.

2 years on advanced phyics and astrophyisics should sort you out on making games.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 20:43
gcse double award science teaches you a hell of a lot more than space and force but okay point taken. do any unis do a split games programming/ computer science and i thought that computer science was also an A-level

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 20:49
a level maths mecahnics units teach u what you need to know... physics is just a bonus, but i guarantee you'll chnage ur mind about being a programmer soon enough. It's not all that highly payed, it stressful work, and there isnt much of it about. Thats what ive gathered from my attempts. Im only 17, but i recently gave up on my goal to be a professional prgrammer. Decided i would do it as a hobby and make small apps and media for languages like this to make small amounts of extra cash. One day i might hit the jackpot, you never know.

uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 21:19
ohhh

I am doing Doulbe Science Higher, i finished top of my year for 4 years straight and know that it is not enough to become a decent games programmer. The G part may have somming to do with it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 05:17:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 05:17:02