Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Inverted shadows on object?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 21:31
Hi everybody,

I have an object that shows the darkest side facing to the light and the lighted side is in the opposite, facing to no light!

I do not know how it came to that.

Maybe I have inverted UV?

I want to see this object as the other do (in a normal way, that is of course, the lighted side facing to light and dark side facing away form light).

Some ideas please?
Thanks in advance.
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 01:11 Edited at: 20th May 2003 19:12
Select the face in question and "Reverse vertex order" ( milkshape = CTRL + SHIFT + F ) you'll have to hunt for that option if you are using another modeling app.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 14:59
Thanks a lot Simple!
That made it.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 19:14
-you'll have to hunt for that option if you are using another modeling app.

What do you mean?

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 19:37
It's called "flip" under normals in subobject face/poly mode if you're using max

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 19:40
Well... I've give him the short-cut key for reversing the vertex order and basically told him what he needs to do to solve his prob using Milkshape.

So what I mean by that is >> if he's using Max - Lightwave - Rhino - C4D - or any other modeling app then he would have to hunt for that option ( reverse vertex order ) because I don't know where abouts it would be within the UI's of those apps.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 19:40 Edited at: 20th May 2003 20:02
This exactly is what I mean when I say it's always better to tell someone what a tool does instead of simply telling what to do right now...So later he can prevent it on his own.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 20:08
Yeah, well.... "reverse vertex order" is a bit self explanatory wouldn't you say ? as all it does is reverse the order of the verts so they are facing the other way ( which is what he wanted to do )

-So later he can prevent it on his own.

Surely by doing this right NOW.... will prevent him from doing it again, as he now knows that to turn the faces the other way... all he has to do is "reverse vertex order" !!

Like I said ... self explanatory ... or Simple !

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 20:32
It is self explanatory assuming he knows what reversing the vertex order does to a mesh no?

Don't assume people know it all and you just need to say,'well do this or that and it'll be ok'

-Surely by doing this right NOW.... will prevent him from doing it again, as he now knows that to turn the faces the other way... all he has to do is "reverse vertex order"

Yes now that you say it.

I still stand by the fact that it's better to know 'why'...That's why tutorials don't teach that much...well most of them.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 20:53
Anyways to get a correct answer,you need to ask a correct question like...

A or many triangle is/are showing black on my mesh in ms3d?Why so and how to get rid of it?

Now that's simple.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 20:57 Edited at: 20th May 2003 20:59
Even if he didn't know what reversing the vertex order does to a mesh .... by doing what I said, i.e. select the face in question and reverse the order >> he does now !!

There was no reason to explain in detail the function of this tool + what it does and why... because by doing what I told him to do explains it just fine.

It solved his prob with the faces, facing the wrong way + showed him what tool to use to prevent this from happening again... he now knows that if he has some BLACK faces, then thats how to sort them.

OK, I could have explained that to prevent them from happening in the first place he should only make his faces in an anti-clockwise direction ( assuming he's vertex editing ) or I could have told him to make sure he is extruding in the correct direction.... But thats not what he was asking.

He had a prob - I told him how to fix it - he fixed it ... whats the big deal with how I explained it to him ?

EDIT:
As for him asking in the correct way .... well, I just read between the lines and could see what he was asking.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 00:24
If it's that simple...Then you must know why his face/s was black don't you?

If so,why didn't you tell him?

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 00:36 Edited at: 21st May 2003 00:37
BTW:If you ask me,the more you have to reverse order,the more potential export problems you can get,especially in ms3d...That said,it's better to know how to make them right at first.Preventing is better than correcting.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 00:48
QUOTE:
If it's that simple...Then you must know why his face/s was black don't you?

If so,why didn't you tell him?

Yes I do know why ... because he made a mistake. Which is why he made this post.

QUOTE:
BTW:If you ask me,the more you have to reverse order,the more potential export problems you can get,especially in ms3d...That said,it's better to know how to make them right at first.Preventing is better than correcting.

Firstly... I'm not asking you. secondly... if you have to reverse order on your model, you will NOT have any export problems with ms3d.

Thirdly .... you're correct, prevention is better than correction.

And finally >> why the hell are you making such a BIG deal out of the way I explained to him how to fix is problem ??

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 00:52 Edited at: 21st May 2003 01:28
I was only correcting you.

We all know your help is appreciated though.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 01:09
But I didn't need correcting

And I also think we should stop this before it gets out of hand

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 01:17
Umm, not to interupt you're little argument but Morcilla, if you're still reading this, right click the 3d view and set it to flat shaded. It help you find those spots quicker, as you should know by now that it's a serious pain trying to fix it later on.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 01:31
Yup...Also inverted UV's wouldn't affect the mesh,only how the texture is displayed.

Thought I'd correct this mistake also since no one did.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 14:14:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 14:14:54