Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / EzRotate - crashing on EzRo_RotateTo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 23:56
Seems that if there's a problem, I will find it In all fairness, I may be using this incorrectly, but it did kill my program stone-dead.

I have replaced the variables with the values as reported by DB Pro (hence the notation and ridiculously long values).

This causes the crash, in the style of "SmartWorld has encountered a problem and needs to close...":

as does this...

but this doesn't...

Your truly,
confused of West Yorkshire, UK.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 23:59
So where's the program?

* points at subsection name *

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 05:07
Batvink,
I have no idea.
Can you send me an example that is actually crashing? I can run EZro with any of the values listed above.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 21:48
I'll try and extract something. In true style, I have too many plugins for anyone to be able to compile the program.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 12:35 Edited at: 14th May 2007 12:36
This is totally bizarre.

I went back to a version of this project from 25 April. At this point it worked, but this specific code hasn't changed. So that would suggest that something else has caused the problem.

The major change is the Blue GUI interface. So I removed the precedding code to ensure it wasn't screwing up the internal workings. I still get the error.

I have hard-coded the values you see in this thread, rather than take them from cameras and objects. So effectively, it's running exactly as you see here. It still crashes.

I set up a test where I created the objects and cameras' positions etc, and ran the test using these retrieved values rather than hard-coding them. It worked out of the context of my project

So where is the problem? Can I have done anything with EzRotate prior to this point that can have a bearing on this scenario? It's used in a major way, so it will have been loaded and reloaded sevral times at this point. But will this affect the code here, or should this code work in isolation?

Can I check any EzRotate variables to give me any clues?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 13:21
Batvink,
The only thing that I can think of that could cause a problem is if you sent bad values to EZrotate (such as -1.INF). I'm not sure how you are testing the values of your EZrotate inputs, but maybe try to write the values to a text file right before you use them. Is EZrotate crashing on the setup commands, or is it crashing on the rotate to command?

Try something like this:

That way, you can be SURE of the values that that EZrotate is using right before the crash.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 13:35 Edited at: 14th May 2007 13:37
It's the RotateTo command. The stuff I posted above is the exact values that cause the crash. I wrote the entire command string to a file before it was called. I also write a string directly afterwards, which doesn't make it to the file (neither does a message to the screen).

What is -1.INF?

I really think that something that has gone before this set of commands may have screwed something up. Otherwise it would also crash in isolation.

Also - this code3 doesn't crash every time. I can use the same starting rotation and position, and a different target object, and it works just fine.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 14:18
I've attached a video to this post, and one to the next one below, in the hope that you can visualise the problem.

In this first one, everything works fine. I RotateTo to a couple of objects, before going to the one that causes the problem...but not here.

In the second video, I immediately RotateTo the problem object...it crashes. There are many objects that cause this problem, in many different locations.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 14:18
Video number 2...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 17:02
I've stopped the crash by using EzRo_TurnPitchTo. For me, this is an acceptable workaround. It could cause issues in other scenarios, because it doesn't take a straight line path like EzRo_RotateTo does. Most times, one axis reaches it's destination before the other.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 17:19
I'll continue to play around with the Rotate To function and see if I can replicate the problem. It is odd. EZrotate has a decent sized user base and I've never had this problem reported before. Then again, I never had anyone report the other bug that you found either! You have just been signed up as a tester for all of my future projects!
I am planning a BIG update to EZrotate sometime in the near future. I'll be sure to include these things as bug fixes along with the functionality that I plan to add

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 17:31
It's probably more annoying for me than it is you. As you may know, my day-job is identifying problems and resolving them. Although I can't fix this issue, I should at least be able to identify the exact scenario that causes it. As you can see, I've been through various tests without successfully pinpointing the problem.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 17:56
OK, now it's time to rip my hair out!

It's now crashing on EzRo_Orbit, using the following values for X/Y/Z1 and X/Y/Z2...

...and a rotation value of 0.95

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 18:20 Edited at: 14th May 2007 18:20
Doh!
I have no idea what to tell you! If there is any way that you can encapsulate the problem into a small code snippet I will definately look at it. I can't really guess what is causing the problem. As noted above, I can push the same values into EZrotate and it works fine for me

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 19:20
For anyone remotely interested in my orbital issues, Wolf is working on my code. WHEN (not if) he finds my foolish coding error, I'll let you know what it was.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 01:38
Quote: "What is -1.INF?"

It can result from trying to divide a number by zero.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 03:02
Oh yeah... I forgot to answer you about that! The .INF means infinity. As Benjamin mentioned it can result from divide by zero errors.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 15:02
Just so everyone else knows....

I tracked down this problem after a lot of testing. There is no problem with EZrotate. The problem is that there are a few commands in the plugin Styx that seem to be stepping on EZrotate. I have no idea what is causing this. I will try to contact Empty (the creator of Styx) to make him aware of the problem. From the EZrotate side of things, I don't believe there is anything that I can do! If there was, I'd be glad to do it. This seems to be a problem with Styx though.
The Styx command that is causing the problem is the "execute open dialog". I don't know if other dialog box commands in Styx will also cause the problem or not. EZrotate functions perfectly until that command is called. After that, EZrotate will error on a floating point math error. The EZrotate function does receive all of it's parameters correctly, but it crashes on the execution of the function!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 16:43
A few more details....

I have replaced the command with the Blue GUI equivalent, and it now works. I've also tried triggering things in a different order to fool the sytem, but I have failed miserably.

All other Styx commands have been left in, and are working perfectly.

Thanks again, oh predatorial mammal one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-23 14:54:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-23 14:54:21