Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / DarkAI - shaking objects when assigned to entities?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 04:21
When I assign an object to the entity it seems to be fine, but from what I can see there is always a lot of shaking on the entity when the entity gets closer to a target and the target moves back.

So for the most part it only happens when the enemy entity gets close to the player, then the player moves back and the enemy tries to catch up to the player.

Is there any way to get rid of this object shaking and make sure it doesn't happen? Any examples?
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 07:41
Is your strafing turned off? That happened a lot when I had it turned off, but pretty much went away when I turned it back on. It also stopped my enemies from standing there like idiots while they got pummeled.

Come see the WIP!
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 16:11
Yer at the moment it is turned off, but I wanted it turned off because they strafe a bit too much o.o
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 01:47 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2007 02:04
Still having this annoying problem, when I have 3 entities and they have a set attack distance and avoid distance. With the strafe turned either on or off at least on of them shakes like crazy. When the attack and avoid distance are not set it seems to be fine. I am keeping the avoid distance less than the attack distance like it says in the manual

edit: ok after further testing, there is still lots of shaking no matter what setting I choose if there are multiple enemies after one entity, changing attack distance lessens the shaking but doesn't stop it. It just looks ugly. I've also tried changing the scale of the simulation but there was no change.

I have no clue as to how to fix it, anyone have any ideas?

I'll put together an example when I get the time.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 17:26
Quote: "AI Set Avoid Mode 0"

That might do the trick for you. The default avoidance mode is 1, which checks every loop and tries to avoid, which can result in shaking. Mode 0 smooths the turning over 20 updates.

Mode 2 checks every so often, which is faster than mode 1 or 0, but not as accurate either.

Hope that helps

Come see the WIP!
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 19:37
Cheers man, it stops the shaking completely. However, entities seem to dance around in circles sometimes. Better than shaking but it does look kinda weird.

Thanks The project I'm working on is a simple user interface for a game. For some reason my lecturer hated the shaking entities so she made me resubmit the project... even though the idea of the project was to produce an example of good user interactivity. Really irritating but now I'll finally have some free time!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 03:50
Glad that worked It wasn't in the original release, thus I missed it when I read through every command. Mode 1 was the only mode, and I guess it was left as default for legacy support.

What's your project framerate? Since it updates over 20 updates, it isn't timer based. At a higher framerate it might act differently. I'm guessing dancing instead of shaking. For me at 40 fps it seemed to work right.

So, did you submit the project in time?

Come see the WIP!
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 04:07 Edited at: 6th Jul 2007 04:13
Yer got it in just in time, the thing that took the longest was the logbook :/ That was a major pain. It was nothing compared to the C++ project though O.o. Half my class had a heart attack.

The projects frame rate was set at 60 fps. It seems to me the dancing and the shaking only happens if the entity has agressive mode enabled. Its really weird. Changing the sync rate didnt seem to effect anything.

Anyway, I may take a break in programming for a bit. Want to start modelling again, Haven't made anything in a loong time so I'm gonna have to practice for a while

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 21:30:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 21:30:32