Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I have unearthed a dark and devious plot...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 23:54
...to stop me from playing games!

Although this has been around a while, I recently decided to try Hexen II again... well, it *mostly* works, but the problem is, when I quit, my computer locks up.

I think it's because it leaves the DOS window active or *something* like that. I don't exactly know. Thing is, DOS has been weird with me even since I installed 98. When I try to reboot to it, I get a blank screen with the flashing cursor up at the top. My computer dosen't respond to anything. The same thing happens when it quit Hexen II.

I can run .bat and DOS-based .exe files fine, most DOS games run smoothly and much better than on ME. But there's obviously a problem somewhere, with it, or with how Windows is handling it.

I've reinstalled 98 once, and it didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks....
--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 00:01
why not just quit to dos mode?

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 01:59 Edited at: 23rd May 2003 02:00
Yeah, just boot up into DOS Mouse.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 02:17
As I said in my original post, it locks up

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 02:25

Have you tried googling it? You probably have I know... just a suggestion (good one though mind you).

Right night, 11:24pm and I have an ICT Hardware and Software test first thing in the morning.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 03:33
Could be a DOS memory allocation problem, try messing with the .pif settings, maybe allocate more memory or a higher priority.

Van-B

Hate me clown because I'm not from your town y'all. Hate me clown.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 03:40
well win98 had to boot into dos anyways, try F5 when you see the "Now Loading Windows98..."

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 05:14
Raven-- Mmmm... that didn't occur to me... however, it dosen't fix the problem of Hexen II (I like the game, but there's no way I'm booting to DOS every time I want to play, it's not THAT good). On top of that, I'd rather stop the problem at its source.

Van-- er, where is that file?

Thanks...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 07:08
is it just hexen or is it the latest hexen patch in case you havent updated it and they have fixed the problem during the time of its release and the time your playing it now?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 07:19
I updated it. Hoped it would fix the problem. Funny thing is, now it even crashes when I try to change the screen resolution (I assume they made it restart the fgx engine to optimize speed or something like that).

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 16:21
i dunno if win98 had it but WinME had automatic/manual Environment Changing just as XP does... so you can setup what compatibility you want - it might be that.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 19:58
Mmmmmm....

I'll look into that.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 20:00
Well that's frustrating. Windows says that H2.exe is a Windows .exe file, so it only gives me the basic tab and nothing else. I can't seem to find whatever else it might be running... could it be a shell over the DOS .exe in the same file?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 21:51
why don't you just upgrade to WinMe again?
i'm not sure why any sane person would downgrade thier windows anyways... though never had 98 heard it was suppose to be the most stable, but i remember having to talk a good few people through problem that ME just never had.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 23:17
Because ME is a stinking pile of crap, that's why . It crashed litteraly every hour on me, and finally got to the point where I had 3 native Windows DLL errors every time I started up and I couldn't run anything. And nothing was messing with it but itself. 98 is tons more stable.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:24:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:24:43