Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / -= WeedWorks =- FREE Groundcover and Grass Modeling Application

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 01:26 Edited at: 4th Jul 2007 01:26
Thanks Sloop

Imagine fields where programmers are no longer born, they are harvested...

(I forgot to add this one! This is a demonstration of loading models as flowers)

Visit the Wip!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 01:32
Great, new screenshots are looking awesome .

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 23:28 Edited at: 6th Jul 2007 23:29
Call me a liar because I didn't get my Public Alpha out today.

Actually I have spent the last 2 days working like mad trying to get some animations working correctly in Ogre for another project. That is more or less done and what work I did get done yesterday was lost due to a power outage .

Well I think Monday or Tuesday are good days to plan for this to be updated with the release. Look for it then!

BTW - Thanks Gil

Visit the Wip!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 07:14
Any news on the alpha release ?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 09:47
Quote: "Any news on the alpha release"

Yes. It's coming soon

Can't wait to see it, the application is looking amazing. Not to mention you have the greatest collection of game ready plant textures I've ever seen.

Come see the WIP!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 18:14
It will be out either by the end of the day today or early tomorrow. I have been spending my time on other things instead of focusing on this. You know how it goes...

Visit the Wip!
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 21:33
is it possible that this will be open source (for us that would like to learn a bit )

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 00:46
Jeez, this is looking absolutely beautiful! The flowers are just magnificent! They look so great, so perfect!

Your doing so amazing, I cant describe how good this is looking. Those plants just look so professional and graphically perfect.

Great job! This is really going to be a great application that many people will purchase.

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 02:07 Edited at: 13th Jul 2007 02:08
Quote: "Jeez, this is looking absolutely beautiful! The flowers are just magnificent! They look so great, so perfect!

Your doing so amazing, I cant describe how good this is looking. Those plants just look so professional and graphically perfect."

Quote: "Great job! This is really going to be a great application that many people will purchase."

But it is TOTALLY FREE!~

Thanks for your enthusiasm Xeno. I am taking WeedWorks with me tonight to the theatre (my other job) to finish it up while everyone watches Transformers. Hopefully I will have it done tonight. If not, Tomorrow awaits

Visit the Wip!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 02:10
da power pwnerer -
I do not plan to open-source this, however I had thought about it. If I open-sourced it, I would be innundated by noobs asking how to do this or that or how to change/fix this. I simply do not have time to support all those sorts of questions. If it weren't for that I probably would open-source it.

Visit the Wip!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 02:49 Edited at: 14th Jul 2007 04:51
You guys know what time it is? It is....

Alpha Release Time!

(Download at bottom of post)

Yes, I had to hold off on some of the functions that I was in the middle of working on so I can get you guys the much-promised alpha release. I had to hold off on getting all of the controls up and running in the UI, so you can't save or export your work just yet, but you will in the next update (which should be after I get some feedback and bugfixes implemented). The more feedback I receive, the faster bugs will be fixed and the more features I will be able to implement.

Please do not post about specific parts of the Interface not working or not responding! - This is an alpha release, and a demonstration. I am only interested in crashes or incompatibilities. Offset and rotation sliders, opening, saving and exportation do not work (in addition to a few other minor controls), please do not post about these!

Features that have been added since the last update:
Flower Thumbnail
A Resizable UI
Flower Density Controls
Flower Orientation Controls
Alpha mode controls (some alpha maps work better in one mode than they do in another, experiment with this to find modes that suit your needs)
Timer-Based Movement
Credits and About Screen
Birth of a .8k help file!
New Logo

Known Issues:
After Loading a Model as a flower top, when you re-texture the flower top, it inherits the previous model's shape, instead of planar attributes. This actually opened my eyes to some 'features' that I will be implementing via non-planar wrapped flora.
Aforementioned UI controls
Browse Dialog only displays 1 format at a time
UI scaling issues

Requirements:
DirectX 9.0c
Hardware ??? That is why I have this alpha.

In Development:
UI for billboarding
Fixing current non-functioning UI components
Expanded Visual Help System
Tutorials and videos
Exportation options
Non-Planar mapping
DBA example Code
Configuration

If you encounter a bug or crash:
Get a Screenshot of the error (or write it down carefully)
Report what you did to obtain the error
Attempt to re-create the error

Please please please post screenshots of your work, I and other followers of this thread would really like to see them.

*Usage of 3d vegetation should be used cautiously, as flooding your videocard with geometry can have a drastically negative impact upon performance of your application.

The download button to the right doesn't seem to be working correctly, here is an offsite url:

http://www.fantasymultimedia.com/WWAlpha.rar

Visit the Wip!
Slooper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 08:05 Edited at: 14th Jul 2007 08:58
Alquerian This is really great, tnx for the release of it i have waited a long time for this one. This app are going to be a good tool to alot of dbp users. And tnx for making it free

EDIT

Some stuff that would be nice to add/change

an label that tells you the name of the flower currently in use, not path only name

Dont change the place where they are created when using "Blades per object" or "Number of objects"

Selecting and moving around the objects are something you need to make more friendly

angles, blade size, and offsets, they way they changing when moving mouse over, dont take it away but set it as off as standard and make an checkbox for it in options to activate it.

Some blades doesnt seem to get light on them, they are very dark anyways even when i am using camera light thing

You never fail, only make mistakes.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 21:08
Well,it worked perfectly.And because you wanted,i attached a screenshot of what i made in a few mouselcicks!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 23:30
Amazing! Just as gret as I expected it to be!

Im so glad this is free. This is gonna come in handy.

But, I got an error.
I was increasing the number of objects. When I got to 20, I got "Object does not exist at line 1391"

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 23:53
Quote: "I do not plan to open-source this, however I had thought about it. If I open-sourced it, I would be innundated by noobs asking how to do this or that or how to change/fix this. I simply do not have time to support all those sorts of questions. If it weren't for that I probably would open-source it."

that's true can't wait 'til all of the bugs are worked out

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2007 07:23
Slooper -
Quote: "an label that tells you the name of the flower currently in use, not path only name"

Good suggestion, consider it done

Quote: "Dont change the place where they are created when using "Blades per object" or "Number of objects""

Yeah I know about this one I will fix this in the next release

Quote: "Selecting and moving around the objects are something you need to make more friendly"

Agreed, it can be a little tricky to click the grass, especially if you set their blade width down really low. I will make up a soft-selection or perhaps a boundary selection tool that will make selecting the grass much easier

Quote: "angles, blade size, and offsets, they way they changing when moving mouse over, dont take it away but set it as off as standard and make an checkbox for it in options to activate it."

Good idea, some people will like it how it is now, others may not. I will add that as a user-configurable option.

Quote: "Some blades doesnt seem to get light on them, they are very dark anyways even when i am using camera light thing"

I am not sure what the deal is with that, I will check it out.

Prince Of Darkness -
Thanks for testing it out and posting a screenie! It is definitely easy to obtain a wide variety of results within a matter of seconds with WeedWorks, I am curious to see some Paris Plants being made

Xeno - Thanks for the bug report! Diggsey tested it out and I think he obtained the same error. I know what the problem is, and I will squish it immediately

da power pwnerer - Yeah I think it would be best if I didn't open source it. I just realized that I am using 4 or 5 plugins in WeedWorks, just getting it to compile would be overly-burdensome for most of the community. This will definitely remain free and I will continue to add on to it and better it in any way I can.

@Everyone else - Download and test out WeedWorks! It is free and it will only get better with your help, help that I desperately need! Thanks to everyone who has already contributed!

Visit the Wip!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2007 07:34
Attention!

If you obtain either of these errors, it is due to an outdated version of DirectX.

Download DirectX 9.0c (or newer) to correct this problem!

Visit the Wip!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2007 21:50 Edited at: 16th Jul 2007 21:51
******************* Color-Depth warning *****************

I was testing Weedworks out on a few 'fresh' xp boxes today and I made this discovery:

Weedworks will not function correctly in 16-bit color mode. If you are running it in 16-bit color mode, it may crash quite regularly when attempting to change textures, or may refuse to run at all. Please check to ensure your display is set to 32 bit mode prior to running it!

Visit the Wip!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 08:25
Just got back and downloaded and tried it. Great job so far . I noticed all the bugs Slooper did, and also, am I just missing it, or is there not a "new map" feature? If not, it'd be nice to have that too .

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 18:50
Gil - Thanks for taking a look at it. When you say 'New Map' feature, do you mean, deleting all the grass and starting over with the default template?

I am working on tracking down a compatibility issue that Cash and potentially others can encounter. I will fix all the issues that you guys have mentioned, along with some of the additions that I have been promising before I release Alpha 2.

Thanks for your interest everyone!

Visit the Wip!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 20:48 Edited at: 24th Jul 2007 20:51
Here are a few freebies to everyone, they are 4 isometric alpha mapped trees in high res. Feel free to resize them to your needs, do not redistribute them in a pack, resell them, repackage or claim them as your own. Free for private or commercial use.

Enjoy

Visit the Wip!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 00:43
I have been working hard on all of this and this morning I discovered that I can make trees with WeedWorks. I never intended WeedWorks to make trees, so when I seen the results I was fairly happy. I will include the new alpha maps with the next release of WeedWorks, which will allow users to create trees as well.

They are not XFrog or even TreeMagik quality, but they can definately be used in games as lightweight 3d trees. Keeping the greenery separate from the trunk means that this can be used for top-down games, first person or isometric. With Billboarding, you can do pretty much whatever you want with this. A new update will be out by the end of the week!

And here are the Trees in WeedWorks:

Keep in mind that WeedWorks was never intended to make trees, however this is a demonstration in it's ability to do what it is not designed to do.

Visit the Wip!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 10:06
Very intresting Alquerian.

It sure shows this application has multiple uses.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 10:11
Very awesome stuff there Alquerian. I love the Screenies

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
The first white head flower looks very bright but the second looks good for use in a game....

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 02:06
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I will have the next release out within the next few days. It should contain all the known bug fixes as well as a few additional suggestions that people have mentioned.

I have added the ability to remove the flowers, so you can create vegetation with or without flowers/toppers, also added the path label as per Slooper's suggestion and fixed a few things. So look for it either tomorrow or monday

Visit the Wip!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 03:07
Progress Update

I have made some fairly significant changes to the code of WeedWorks so that the flowers are actual limbs of the base object. I am about 80% finished with that part of the code, this will allow you to export the grass and the flowers as 1 object, instead of several separate objects.

All of the bugs that were previously mentioned have been fixed, as well as a few that were not mentioned. Some new features have been added also. I will go over those features in detail when I post my next alpha (probably tomorrow).

I am anxiously awaiting a debut of WeedWorks tomorrow, so this means I am really cramming to get as much done in the next 24 hours as possible.

Until I release my next update (probably tomorrow), you can still download the Alpha 1 version here: http://www.fantasymultimedia.com/WWAlpha.rar

Visit the Wip!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 22:08 Edited at: 1st Aug 2007 23:03
OK, looks like I have object exportation finished, here are 2 screenies of a plant made in WeedWorks, exported then displayed in another DBP object viewer/editor I wrote some time ago. Side by side they look almost identical (save for the viewport stretching).

Vegetation in WeedWorks:

Same plant exported and viewed in an editor:

Attached is the plant that was used in the above screenshots. I would love to hear back from everyone to see if the plant loads ok in their demos as well. Keep in mind you may need to scale the plant up and set the object transparency mode to 6.

Visit the Wip!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 22:31
It loads fine for me, but the flower shows up as a plane without a texture. I'm assuming it's because you didn't include the flower texture in the .zip file .

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 23:02
Quote: "I'm assuming it's because you didn't include the flower texture in the .zip file ."

Doh!

Ok, I fixed it.

Visit the Wip!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 00:22
Cool, works great now . Anxiously awaiting next release .

qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 10:45 Edited at: 4th Aug 2007 10:46
are you able to make the stems square instead of triangles? or give some depth?
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 18:17
Quote: "are you able to make the stems square instead of triangles? or give some depth"

Currently it only works with tris, but it wouldn't be much work to make them planar or mesh based. This is something that I was actually planning on adding. I have taken the last few days off from WeedWorks, but I will probably get back on it next week and released my promised update.

Visit the Wip!
FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
Great job .
Thanks for giving your work for free.
Waiting for the next release
Captain Taco
Years of Service
User Offline
First off, project looks great, it's cool that you are doing this for free.

Next, how difficult would it be to add basic texture support, these are polygons correct? so they should be able to be textured. The colored grass looks ok, but it's a little bland, even just a 32x32 image to add some small amount of texture to the blades of grass could do wonders. Or would this be more work/system bogging than I'm expecting it should?

good lord that's a lot of potatos!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 18:29
Quote: "First off, project looks great, it's cool that you are doing

[quote]Great job .
Thanks for giving your work for free."

You're welcome

Quote: "Next, how difficult would it be to add basic texture support, these are polygons correct? so they should be able to be textured. The colored grass looks ok, but it's a little bland, even just a 32x32 image to add some small amount of texture to the blades of grass could do wonders. Or would this be more work/system bogging than I'm expecting it should?"

Not hard at all really. I am going to add that ability in when I get the chance, it should only be a handful of lines to complete. Technically it already uses textures, as that is how I color them, with making a single pixel texture, then applying to the blades. So really the brunt of the work is just making a texturing UI for it. I will add this to my 'todo' list.

Thanks for the support

Visit the Wip!
dj trickdog
Years of Service
User Offline
sweet! ill give it a try!
Quote: "Look at all the beautiful weeds "

anyone see the irony? ;P
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
looks exceptional A...

i don't see this in my immediate plans, but if i do use it for anything profitable, you will definitely get something in return for your generousity...

--Mike
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2007 04:18
Quote: "you will definitely get something in return for your generousity..."

Thanks Red

Everyone - I am finally done! (with all of my alpha-mapping insanity!)

I have spent the last week or two finishing my Alpha-map packs, and let me tell you it was tedious. 210 Alpha mapped flowers, leaves, trees, plants and various other vegetation, all in pain-stakingly high-resolution (5.1 Megapixel source media) and now I am done. I will release many of them as freebies, but I do hope to make a little money off of the bundled packs to fund my soon-to-be-WIP[ed] project; Driftwood.

I will be uploading them on Monday morning (California time), so expect to see them Monday evening over there on the UK, or early tues morning. I am unhappy with 2 of the Logos, so I will probably re-do them before I upload the free and bundled packs.

Peace.

Visit the Wip!
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2007 20:41 Edited at: 20th Oct 2007 20:41
Awesome

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2007 21:19
Great, can't wait for the final release .

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 02:02
That is great news Alquerian, I can't wait. Have you finished the version that will ship with terrainscape, and what extra features will it include (if you have decided)?
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 06:30 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 04:21
Quote: "Have you finished the version that will ship with terrainscape, and what extra features will it include (if you have decided)?"

Weedworks still has a little more work on it till I can release a beta, the beta will be the framework included with TerrainScape. Hopefully, I can get around to this over the next 2 weeks or so. I will be updating both TerrainScape and Weedworks during that time to export usable models and code.

I will have my Alpha-maps up in the morning

Support the indi!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 04:39
The Texture Packs are Up!!! Paypal is setup and the site is live

Here is the link to the thread with the free media and other info about my upcoming project.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116697&b=1

Support the indi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 02:52:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 02:52:36