Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Fog and BSP maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Me again,
Is it possible to have a Bsp map loaded and have fog on it, I can't get it to work, If so can you tell me how.
Thanks
TechHead
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2003 22:01
bsps are very small and therefore the fog distance will have to be small as well.

in DBC there is a command fog exist() and its slightly named differently in DBP.

run that command first, if u get a one then u can use the fog.

set the fog distance to like 25 or somewhere around the low end so its similar in size to the amount of vision you want your player to visualise.

TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I have fog, And I have done what you said but still no fog, I am using Hammer for my Bsp's So not sure if this makes a difference and DBP with the full updates and Entity plugin.

Can someone tell me what the difference is when using Hammer or quark, is there much of a difference between HalfLife and Quake III Bsp's ( Could this be why i'm not seeing any fog ).

Thanks
TechHead
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 00:25 Edited at: 25th May 2003 00:25
Since patch 4, fog doesnt seem to affect bsps for some reason but it does affect objects. BSP support in pro is crap at the moment, the only thing you can do to a bsp map is calculate collision and that dont even work correctly. Just have to wait for patch 5 or 6 im afraid.

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that

TechHead
TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
One more thing

what are the best bsp maps Halflife of Quake III and why.

Thanks Again
TechHead
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 15:47 Edited at: 25th May 2003 15:48
quake 3 maps cause you can make huge levels compared to h/l maps and they seem to load a lot quicker.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 17:22
Now this is weird:

I've had a bug for some time that my BSP textures are garbles (and badly so). When you get near, this texture fades into the correct texture, as if it was "fogged" on.

You are the th person to view this signature.
Programmers don't die, they just Gosub without return....
TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
What Version of DarkBasic Pro are you using ? Or maybe it's your Bsp's Eg halfLife Bsp's or Quake III Bsp's

What Inferno said is right about Patch 4, I have installed DBP on another Computer without Patch 4 and Yep there's fog, But I now can't put a sprite on top of the Bsp Eg a cross hair at the centre of the screen, If I do the fog goes again.

Hope Bsp's will be better supported in patch 5

I have been using HalfLife Bsp's and Hammer, But Because of what Inferno said I am now trying to use Quake III Bsp's, But I can't get them to work with DBP, If anyone can help, I am now using G-Max with Tempest and Q3radiant to produce my Bsp. Please can someone tell me what to do with the Bsp maps now, Do I have to put them in Pk3 files or can I just call them like HalfLife Bsps within DBP and What folder do I put them in ( I read some where you have to put them in your DBP projects folder, is this Right ?

Plus how do I get those effects in Quake III Eg Lava flowing or how about fog on the floor do I do this effect in DBP or is it part of the Q3radiant. What are and how do I use Pixel and Vertex Shaders.

Thanks
TechHead
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 21:00 Edited at: 25th May 2003 21:03
yes, the bsp files have to be put in the pk3 file with the textures and some script files.

There should be three directories in the pk3 file: maps, textures and scripts. In the maps dir, you should have the bsp file, in the textures directory, the textures you used in your map and in the scripts dir you have to put in the system.shader file (found in the quake3 baseq3/shaders directory).

So in the maps dir you should have bspfilename.bsp, in the textures dir you should have the textures dir with textures in a different folder and in the scripts folder you should have the systems.shader file.

Now put the pk3 file in the game directory and run the load bsp command. (e.g. load bsp "pk3name","maps/bspfilename")

Animated textures on bsps in dbpro dont work, so you cant do flowing lava.

pixel and vertex shaders are programmable effects. You can make really nice visual effects such as real time shadows and per pixel lighting (the smoothing effect that makes objects look really realistic like you get on doom3.) I dont know how to program shaders but this site should help.

[href]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndrive/html/directx02192001.asp [/href]

TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that

Just Five more questions :-

Do you know if Patch 5 will support Animated Textures.

Do Pixel and vertex shaders work on Bsp maps.

If I wanted to put bullet hole marks on a bsp map when a bullet hit it what do i use for that, is it these shaders and how do i detect a hit.

In UT2003 there is an effect like a mist coming down from the sky and out of pipes in some maps, How do I do these effects, Again is it these shaders.

And in Alien Vs Predator 2 you use a lamp to light up the place ( Just like a spot light) can I do this in DBP, If is let me know.

Thanks again you are really Helping me
TechHead
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 21:40
You can use animated textures using uncompressed avi files but you can only apply them to objects and sprites.

Pixel shaders and vertex shaders cannot be applied on bsp files as far as i know, and even if they did dbpro wont display them.

I have no idea how to do bullet hole marks and things like that, you cant calculate the angles of a bsp walls n other stuff needed to do it. Hopefully more bsp commands will be implemented in patch 5.

You can do mist effects using shaders, but i think volumetric fog should be used. i have no idea how to do it though cause the only volumetric effect you can do in dbpro is fog, but you cant really control it that much.

You can only use realtime light effects in dbpro which should beable to that light effect but they dont affect bsp maps at all.

TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Inferno

If anyone else knows about these thing let me know

Thanks
TechHead
TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Me Again,
Slight prob, I have done what you said, The game runs, But then says Can't find Zip file, Then your in the game but It's just black apart from a slight movment when i move around but this is very very dark (Black). where do i have to put the pk3 file in what dir.

Thanks Again
TechHead
TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
Good news I have done it, I have put a quake III map in DBP and the textures are all animated they twirl and move around on the bsp map Just like in Quake III. I think it is Quake III shaders at work here. The doors sort of even move as well (well they disappear when you get close). Just need to make my own maps now.
I now think you can do alot more with Quake III maps and DBP, All I need if some info on the shaders in Quake III.
Thanks to every who help me on this board.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 11:28
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 04:58
Didn't Guy release some tools for working with BSP entities on the RGT forums? Not sure, but I sortof remember it.

BSP support is pretty bad... not sure how long it'll take for it to get fixed up, but I'm hoping at least fogging will work in Patch 5.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea, He released Bsp_Entities_tools, But it can't look in a Pk3 file, So you have to have two bsp maps, One in the PK3 and One out Side of the Pk3, I think, If this is wrong let me know.

Thanks
TechHead

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 17:05:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 17:05:28