Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Is Half-Life supposed to end like that?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2003 22:03
After the credits (like only 30 people!), the screen just stays black. Is it supposed to do that?
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2003 22:16
Yes.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
Jurgen
Years of Service
User Offline
yup, very boring... (by the way, wich way did you chose, did you say yes or no?? )

Is Spiderman gay?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 00:24
way? ... i don't remember anything about that, admitedly not played and completed HL for almost 2years but still i'm sure i'd remember being able to actually choose

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
AnalSauceMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 03:59
i said yes. i didn't know you could pick no.

AnalSauceMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 04:05
hey you can pick no. i just tried it. that was wierd.

AnalSauceMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 04:08
Raven, at the end of the game you have to choose something. I don't want to spoil it for you, even though there's not much to spoil. You should try to beat it.

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 04:36
there is an easter egg in that ending.. if u wait 36 hrs without choosing anything, it will show yet another different ending! lol

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

AnalSauceMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 05:31
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 05:34
No, he's pulling your...

oh, no, it's quite serious

Dissapointing ending sequence, isn't it? The developers became possesed by the insane spirit of Mario...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 12:31
ASM i completed it several times but not for almost 2years now... the ending i remember is that the G-Man tell you that your an important man and how would you like to work for him...

then it just fades out and the Credits come up, then at the end of that i displays the Half-Life sign.
maybe there's a difference between the original and the game-of-the-year edition? or the UK and US edition?

don't remember being able to actually choose thats all.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 13:38
theres differences in the versions... goty has a choice origanil dosen't

I always win don't you know that?
Programming RPG games in Dark Basic
Since 1999.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 17:20
ahh i see.. well that would probably explain it then

AnalSauceMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 19:10
Raven, oh, i thought you said you've had it for 2 years and still haven't beat it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 19:45 Edited at: 25th May 2003 19:46
lmao... i beat HL within the day i bought it back in 96

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 20:12
You definately get a choice, you either walk into the portal, or you just sit there, in which case you get thrown to the aliens and killed.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 22:06
if u waited 36 hrs, another alien will come and ask u which pill do ya wanna take, the red pill or the blue pill! lol

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 01:17
i didn't really see that as a choice... i mean i sat there for a few mins expecting something else, you either went into the portal and completed the game else you didn't and waited til the screensaver kicked in - thats about as much choice as the routes you could take to actually complete a puzzle in the game

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 01:37
The idea wasn't another action sequence, it was a you-decide plot. What irked me was that you couldn't fry his ugly head in. And as for the 'fight I couldn't possibly beat'-- bah, I could have beaten those idiots if the screen hadn't faded out!

I recently tried to replay Half-Life and found I didn't like it nearly as much. It's far too bland for my tastes. I've been spoiled by SS2...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 02:09
nah its more HL is really a strong story based game, its like a book really... once you've ready it once you know all the words and somehow it looses its appeal.

however there are other story based games which don't loose that appeal - Oni for example, not because the story is different but you do have some real choices to make ingame.

for example do you kill the Commander for lying about who you were for 18years or do you give mercy and let him live. Or how about when your breaking into Neogen to get at Muro - there are several ways in, some sneaky, some not... they all lead to the same rooms that you must got into - but the different routes and even possibilty to change which route half way makes it compelling

Half-Life's edge was the story, once that was gone the game just isn't the same ... why i like the Quakes so much, theres bugger all story to really speak of just good clean fragging - they're true pickup'n'play games. Though Doom3 does prove that id can actually make a mean story based game too, something that'll scare the poop outta the faint hearted to hehee

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 02:23
"i didn't really see that as a choice..."

Whatever you saw it as, IT WAS a choice. Regardless of how little action you have to do, it is STILL a choice. A choice can just be a mental decision after all.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 02:43
lol... fine well the choice was complete the game or continue to play in a box car the size of a shoebox
but then really almost every FPS has that choice... like when you defeat that big ugly spidey thingie in Q2, you still have the choice of running around the level or getting into the elevator before the space station explode (although funny how you have a 5minutes wanring yet after an hour you can still be on there )

sounds more like a Nazi choice rather than a real choice

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 03:42
wait
Half-life had a story, was that go around killing aleins that you created the portal to earth so they can come deal... that was the story?!? Hell i thought doom 95 had a better story(doom 95 had no story).

-Eric

Since 1999.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 04:30
doom had a story
your a marine who is sent to the Phobos Moonbase because EAU has lost contact with them. So they send in the marines (kinda like Aliens lol) you suddenly find out that all hell has broken loose, literally... then the end has the rest of the story

HL is very strongly story driven, alot of the character interaction that goes on advances the plot

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 05:14
i guess you can call that a story for doom

Since 1999.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 08:31:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 08:31:55