Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Elite forces character !

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 18:58
I just made this dude to go with my Assault riffle

Still a WIP at present ...... gotta sort out the knee area.

It 1600 poly's, but after I start snapping verts together here and there..... I should get it down to about 1400 8)

Well within DBpro's capabilities.

Smoothed + textured version on it's way.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

Evil Noodle
Years of Service
User Offline
wow ,impressive stuff ,im just going to cry in this corner over here

T.A.F.K.A.C.M.O.T.D
The Artist Formally Known As Cut_Me_Own_Throat_Dibbler
arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 19:30
Good one simple
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 01:19
These modesl are very impressive.

Does VanSimple Designs have any plans of making a commando game or anything??I think you've got a great start with all these recent human models and weapons you've posted.

(Current)-Game entering concept art stages-
(progress)-Should have demo in 6 months latest-
(misc.)-Started modeling buildings and other objects-
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 01:29
Yea really nice work,,,as usual simple Hey noodle Ill have to join you over there, this makes my work look like rubbish

Nice

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 02:59 Edited at: 27th May 2003 03:00
QUOTE:
Does VanSimple Designs have any plans of making a commando game or anything??

Erm...... not exactly ! all I'm going to say at this stage is that this is just 1 out of over 10,000 models currently beieng made for our project

I've been modifying this one a little too ..... he now has a thinner flak jacket - sorted out his legs ( mainly at the bottom + knees ) and also made him a new Knife, as this one looks more like a screw driver !! ( I'd forgot the handle guard )

Edited his back, so it's not so square looking.

Oh, and the polycount is coming down too

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 03:24
Chear up guys, Simple is using a high end Modeling program, Max I think. Very nice hands, they look like fingurs while still being blocky, mine oinly look block. :-s

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 03:42
Arrow >> all my models are modeled using Milkshape ... I only used Max for the render screenies

The fingers are simply square, but once the smoothing group is on... they look nice and SMOOoooooth !!

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 06:05
Curses, you couldn't let us have that could you?

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 10:33
Wow! Very cool, I especially like the expression on his face (looks ticked). Excellent work as per usual.
Sina.

"Maybe if you ain't so good, I ain't so bad."--Tony Manero to Stephanie (Karen Lynn Gorney)
RobbieR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 15:50
-Arrow >> all my models are modeled using Milkshape ... I only used Max for the render screenies

?!?!

So you say you're either mad+rich or using Warez?

http://www.bsa.org/uk/report/report.php

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 16:33
LOL !!

Mad ? ... probably !!

Rich ? ... not quite !! ... getting there though

Warez ? ... Nah !!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 17:52
Awesome work Simple, simply awesome.

I keep saying this in emails, but I can't wait to see him textured - I already know it'll be your best work yet.

Van-B

Hate me clown because I'm not from your town y'all. Hate me clown.
Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Good stuff simple, why are you reendering in Facets mode? Do you have smoothing groups on him, or did you post so we could see the actual geometry? You did a great job on the Beret.

Also, did you know that a mesh smooth in max with 0 iterations decreases your poly count in half! I think its a bug but my co workers think it works.

AIPX Rocks
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 13:11
posted it in Facets mode so you could see the actual geometry

Plus ..... when I post it up onto forums like this ( when it's still a WIP ) I wait till people start to critic on the same thing ...... for example >> quite a few people started saying the his flak jacket looked too thick + his back was too flat etc

So after I've heard a few people state something about the same part of the model which don't look quite right.... then I go edit that bit and see how it looks.

SO thats the only reason it's first posted up in flatshaded mode ..... as with my other models >> I'll post up the smoothed + textured version next.

arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 16:19
...Hey simlpe, I am hungry to see textured version, stop speaking like old woman at the market and start to cook...
arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 16:21
And his jacked is not so, so thick, but may be his head is little bit smaler than it should be...dont you think so?
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 17:43
QUOTE:
but may be his head is little bit smaler than it should be...dont you think so?

Erm ....... NO !!

His head is the correct size and in proportion with the rest of his body ( EXACTLY 7 1/3 heads tall )

Go stick on a padded duffle jacket + stick a few pairs of your smelly socks into some bags and hang them around your waist....... then go take a look at how small your head looks in the mirror

It's an illusion !!

Textured version is on it's way

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 18:01 Edited at: 28th May 2003 18:06
....Wow...Impresive...I Envy Your Talent... ...My Best Model Was A Stair Case...

| /__/|
| _| |/|
| _| |/|
| _| |/|
| |____|/

It looked like the picture only less detailed...

Anyone Can Destroy...But Few Can Create...
Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Simple, Isn't a male, eight heads tall? maybe i'm wrong. oh well.

AIPX Rocks
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 11:24
"Go stick on a padded duffle jacket + stick a few pairs of your smelly socks into some bags and hang them around your waist....... then go take a look at how small your head looks in the mirror"

Hey Simple, you have the same morning routine as me!

Van-B

Hate me clown because I'm not from your town y'all. Hate me clown.
arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 13:11
there are diferent propotions, depend if you want your model to look like athlet or computer modeler like simple is, 8heads in firsth to 4heads in second case

...just joiking

But yes simple that might be an ilusion, that jacket might make his head look smaller.

looking forward to see textured one...
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 19:09
Last time I checked, most of the time you didn't need to be 100% accuarate with models, just so it looks right.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 22:08
i think you need to actually look at the perspective of the model as a whole.
Realism is all cool and everything, if the ENTIRE model had that level of it as well... it seems quite obvious that you don't own or have ever worn combat or swat gear.

biggest giveaway are the pants which seem to be inflated with air, yes combat pants generally are big however they're made in such a way as too keep water out. So they're only 3x as thick as standard jeans or something ... and they're not even close to as baggy as some pants you see teens wear these days. Add to this that all of the bagginess of clothes NEVER stands up like that unless you starch them repeatedly (which would make them as uncomfortable as hell.
if you were going for american army pants of generals of the yesteryear then you'll find they're not universally wide, just then hems are made in such a way as to make the hip look larger (god knows why though).

then you have to boots which you would really need to get ahold of a pair of doc martins or something because he appears to be wearing goofies shoes.

if you're going for realism then go for it universally across the model, if not then just make the model so that it look right and not just good from a single angle.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 23:51
QUOTE:
it seems quite obvious that you don't own or have ever worn combat or swat gear.

And it seems quite obvious to me that you are talking out of your ass, as per useual.

And yes, I do own a pair of combat trousers ... and it's funny how I modeled the legs/trousers from a photo of a Royal Marine isn't it ?

And I'm wearing Dr,Martins boots right now ... so as for his boots >> and like I've been saying all through this thread .... The model has been modified quite a bit ( including the boots )

It is only a WIP at this stage.

And as far as REALISM is concerned >> It's a 3d fictional character FFS .... so I think I can use as much artisic license as I feel fit.

Anyways ..... WHY CAN'T YOU GET IT INTO YOUR THICK HEAD, THAT I DON'T WANT ANY OF YOUR ADVICE ??

If you don't like my modeling ( tough !! ) if you don't like my texturing ( tough !! ) if you don't like the polycount ( tough !! )

GET IT ??

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 01:36
Ah seriously guys comon!

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 03:36
Oh look, there's nothing wrong with the pants
http://usinfo.state.gov/regional/nea/iraq/gallery/iraq-2003/0414mon2.htm

Ogres have layers.
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 03:39 Edited at: 30th May 2003 03:41
Lol...Raven never fails to sign his name to the dumbass list...
Some people never change.

Simple: Your Model is excellent as always! How long til we can get to see a snap shot of this guy textured!? How long have you been working on just the modelling?

From the observers point of view 'guys' seems ill fit, Rpgamer. It's more like 'RAVEN! WTF are you doing!? ...again.'

Cheers people

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 04:02 Edited at: 30th May 2003 04:02
LOL !!

Empty ... I've got photo's of cammie pants even baggier ... but hey, they must pump them full of air like an inflatable dingy to keep the water out right ?? !!

Brent ... Soon my friend ... soon

The texture job on this dude will take me a little longer than normal .... Cos I'm testing some more new techniques, and it's damn detailed

I'm sticking in as much of my free time as I can to get it done .... but I might not post the finished screeny until I have made a few variations of the texture map.

Then again .... I may only post up the finished model over on the RGT forum, where twats like veggie arn't allowed to post their stupid little comments

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 05:21
Nice Commando model dude

My suggestion: u could try make his cap & his knife as a separate model.

Reason: if u were to use this in a game (let say, 3rd person perspective game), u could animate the Commando to like actually pull out the knife as one of the player's selected weapon. The cap (or a hat, or a .. i forgot the exact name) would be great as a separate object if it could be animated to fly away from his head in a result of the hero being shot repeatedly or in a running mode across the jungle.

The same could go for the rest of its outfit (slashed due to knife attack, bullet holes & blood due to shots, etc.), but i think it would be too much of work.

My bad if my suggestion sucks.

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 19:02
Not a bad sujestion, just unpractical. I think the hat idea is ok, but the other stuff will just take up space from other thing that would be more noticable. Besides that Simple hasn't stated this is for a game of his own. It's more of a "seeing what I really can do" type of model.

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 21:21
The cap (or a hat, or a .. i forgot the exact name)

beret (pronounced berray)

Your models are very good simple. How longn does it take you to make 'em?
I don't think I could ever do anything like this. I could learn everything there is to know about modelling but I got absolutely no artistic skills. And artistic flair is just something you got or you aint. And you have it in spades.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 08:15:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 08:15:06