Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / BSP + texture

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What files textures lool like after compilation ? because I can load any bsp you want but without texture. I know I have to put them with the bsp file, but where they are ? Have you got an example map made ?

Thank you in advance.
BlackWolf
Years of Service
User Offline
And please can you say me how to export them if we can.

Thanx

TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I am new to this, But I have lent a bit, Here goes :-

1. Use Quake III BSP's ( The programs I use are G-Max, Tempest, and gtkradiant ). Web addresses are G-max http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/ and gtkradiant http://www.gtkradiant.com/?data=files&files_id=26 Also you must have a copy of Quake III and a copy of PakScape.

2. You must pack your bsp's within a PK3 file as well as your textures and some shader script files. ( Make your Bsp's with G-max-Tempest then save it as a map file then use gtkradiant to make your BSP ), Then use Pakscape to pack it to a pk3 file and remeber to take the textures and script files from Quake III Pak0.pk3, and put it in your own pk3, So you should have three Dir's in your PK3 file (Maps,Textures,Scripts)

3. From with in DBP use the command ( load bsp "Test.pk3","Test.bsp" ) to load you Bsp map.

You should only use the Quake III files as a leaning tool, Don't use Quake III's textures or scripts in your on game that you are going to sell or give away ???

Hope this helps, and if I have got anything wrong sorry, But maybe someone else will correct me.

Ps. I Use Quake III because they show Animated textures like lights and swirly effects on the Bsp.

TechHead
BlackWolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent explaination ! but a few questions :

You said : use pakscape to pak te bsp file with textures and script files from quake III Pak0.pk3 : This is not a very hard work to search textures in pk3 files ? because if there are a lot of texture, the work could be very hard to find and class textures ? Is there something I can do to make this work easier ?

Can I make the map with the Quake III map editor directly ? (Qradiant) ?

Thank you a lot

TechHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi
I think I understand what your saying, The answer is I'm not sure as I am new to all this Bsp stuff. So if anyone can help with this answer?

I am still trying to learn about DBP stuff.

Thanks
TechHead
RossageSausage
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,

Before working with db....I created quite a few q2 levels so I have some experience with bsp's. If you plan on using q3's paks, it will be hard to find the textures and extract them to take only the ones you use, so in this instance it is just better to load the whole pak into db rather then go hunting through the various folders for the ones you want. No way around it

However, should you plan on making you're own textures (which you should do) you can create the pak from scratch and store everything the way YOU want. This is a way longer process but definately more worthwhile in the long run

Hoping I've Helped,
RossageSausage

RossageSausage
Years of Service
User Offline
And yes you can make the bsp with q3radiant just make sure you make a pak with the bsp you created and the textures you have used
in order to load it into db

RossageSausage

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 05:47:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 05:47:30