Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Help Needed Writing DBP DLL With Visual C++ v5

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 21:14 Edited at: 21st Jun 2007 21:38
I wondering if anyone could be kind enough to give me a simple DLL refrence file to so I can just load the project into my IDE and see if it compiles and use it as a framework.

I'm hoping it's possible to write a DBP DLL with Visual C++ v5 (Studio 97!) coz it's all i got from way back in my early DirectX3 days

Anyway I'm following the DLL guide in the DBP help file

1. Creating your DLL Functions

1.1. Open Visual C++ 6.0 and select NEW, choose Win32 Dynamic-Link Library, call your project TESTCOMMANDS and click OK
1.2. Select 'Create a SIMPLE DLL Project'.
1.3. Click FILE VIEW, double click TESTCOMMANDS files, then Source Files, then TESTCOMMANDS.CPP
1.4. When you double click on TESTCOMMANDS.CPP, you will see the DLLMAIN function common to most DLLs

but when I get to 1.2 I don't get another window asking what kind of DLL I want to make, so when I get to 1.4 I don't have a DLLMAIN framework.

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 21:42 Edited at: 21st Jun 2007 21:54
That IDE is very nice; don't feel any shame. VS97 was short lived, but you should have no problem using it for that. Here is something I came up with for someone using VC Express, I think it would work fine for your purposes, but here are some other things to consider.

The .suo, .sln and .vcproj files will not make sense to VS97. So, delete them. Also, I am trying to find a series of jpgs I made listing the correct project settings. One thing, when you change the settings in VS97, make sure you remember that there are different sets for release and debug. Hang on, I post up links to the photos.

EDIT : Man, am I scatter-brained today, the pics are in the zip!!!!!

So, anyway...I don't see what is going on, but...somewhere in 1.1 or 1.2, VS97 has a difference. I can't reacall, that was long ago, but I know that I use VS97 to make a dll for VB5.0, maybe the wizard worked differently, but...you can use this stuff to set it up, too.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 21:49 Edited at: 21st Jun 2007 21:50
I was just reading the MS web site about changes between v5 and v6 and on of them is...

Wizards for non-MFC project types.
There are now wizards for all non-MFC project types, such as Win32 Application, Console Application, Dynamic-Link Library, or Static Library. Instead of just creating a completely empty, generic project, these AppWizards enable you to specify options; they produce boilerplate code for non-MFC apps.

Thanks for the help Jinzai i hope i can get this sorted so I can give the DBP community a Blowfish based Ecryption DLL

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 21:54
You could always use Dev C++, which uses the MinGW c++ compiler and is completely free. DB user has a template available for devcpp that will get you started fairly quickly.

Who needs a signature?
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 21:56
Okay, that would be great, and also the other guy using VS97 will be able to code a dll, too.
Cheers.
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 22:20 Edited at: 21st Jun 2007 22:24
Well tried to compile and it's giving me some "definition of dllimport function not allowed" error gumph so I guess I'm gona try Dev C++ but i've got my eye on a copy of vc6 on ebay just incase

Anyone know wich version of Dev C to use v4 or v5beta?

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 22:55 Edited at: 21st Jun 2007 23:03
Well got Dev C++ 5 beta installed and ported my DarkFish project across. Wow it's fast at compiling

All i need now is to find that pesky DB User and his DLL template!

UPDATE: OK found it i think http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=97069&b=5

It should be sticky!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-23 12:24:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-23 12:24:51