Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Wartorn: Jarod's Fall

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 20:08
Looks good, and sounds fun. Keep at it

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 20:09
Definitely will. You keep going with Vaelore, it sounds great fun and I love the graphics style.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 22:41
Quote: "Well, Dazzag, those are supposed to look alike"
Hmmm. Interesting. I can think of a few possibilities there. Cool.

Well, it's not so much knowing about text adventures. I mean I used to love them, but it was like 20 years ago really. Plus it's hard to compare with Jarod's fall, as the gameplay is different (vast majority of text adventures are of the text parser variety).

Main thing I like is the way you are summarising the storyline is making the story sound pretty decent. With you writing a book at the same time then I probably am more interested about the book than the game. Reading, for me, is probably the only hobby (apart from programming) that beats playing games. Heh, cost me enough to get my 700 books (approx) sent to Cyprus. Sentimentality and all that...

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2007 00:07
Hehe, well, if I finish book three, which I expect to finish by the end of this year I'll have them 'BETA'-read by some reader friends of mine. I just like to flow into imagination, in which this vast cast of locations, characters and items have flown. Good part about writing is that you can really do what you want, while in games you also have to take care about what the player wants.

I'll just add you to the list of readers for Book One, Wartorn: First. Little imaginative title, but the main core of the books will be in two and three while one will serve as a introduction (not in the least a summarized list, really a story in itself) to the Wartorn universe. It tells somethings, and somethings not. Being influenced by J.K. Rowling in the use of Cherkov's Gun and by for example Tolkien in descriptions, I think I can write up something pretty decent for an amateur writer. Only negative comment I had was a 'lack of conversation', but the 'available dialogues were convincing'.

So, we'll see. First let's finish this.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 06:05 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 14:16
4:55
A long night, a lot of Coca-Cola and the Simpons - the Movie in the back of my mind. You'd say not really the best of situations to code, but hey, I just went and tried and turns out that this half-numb state is great for writing flashbacky things. I finally got Part 3 finished and as promised, I'm attaching the new Teaser Demo. The limit has been pushed to 50 turns. It includes part 1, part 2 and the flashback. Part 3 I'm starting on tomorrow.

Jarod's Fall seems to reach a releasable state. I'll be adding a lot of content after the first real, full BETA release.

Thanks Xeno, for uploading the file to the forums.

This TEASER version includes all updates and fixes up till July, 29.

The download is available here.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 06:55
Here is a version uploaded to TGC...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 14:45
Thanks for uploading the new teaser to the forums, Xeno. You're a lifesaver .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 20:38
19:36
- Fixed first found bug in the new teaser demo.
- New Report of 'First turns 0 damage'-bug - strange. Thought I fixed that one off.

Continuing on part 3. I hope someone takes the time to play through the first two parts. Remember, the descriptions are rather short at this moment.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 07:02
5:55
Longest night spent on Wartorn: Jarod's Fall up till now. I've been bughunting and optimizing the code. Wasn't able to put in the array fix I described a few posts ago without causing mayor problems. Sucky, really is. I've completed the flashback, extended most of the descriptions and added random lines to combat. Feels far more dynamic now. The characters will be circling, teaming up, running, walking, watching, crouching and the like now.

Jarod can now summon Isamat, use the Stones Of Power and has an additional conversation with Jauth depending on the results of the flashback.

Finally, I've been drawing sketches of the locations visited for the media-mode of the game. They will add some atmosphere, I think. Drawings completed till now are Jarod's home, Southern Mountains, Eastern Forest and Stones of Power. Isamat is under review tomorrow morning (always helps looking with a fresh head).

The time is near to conclude Jarod's Fall with... Jarod's fall...

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 07:27
Sounds like you're working hard. When are you going to post a new version of the demo? I really want to play

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 16:03
Well, I posted a new teaser demo version 2 days ago, which is 50 turns instead of 15 and contains part 1, 2 and 3 and all bugfixes, patches and updates before 29-07. You should check it out if you want to see my progress.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 18:49
I ran it and it said it was missing a .dll file called d3drm.dll

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 18:49
Cool. Will check it out. Sorry, been too busy to try before today.

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 19:02
Doesn't matter . Glad some people are still following the thread. I can't show a lot of progress with a text-adventure except for this way.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 19:08
Amusing that no-one responded for a couple of hours then two on the exact same minute.

Gave it a go and is looking pretty good. Only thing I would say is you seriously have to sort out the 3 return key presses every time you travel to another location. Oh, and how come the graphical HUD always stays there and switching it off and on just makes the health/energy points come on and off? Quite enjoyed getting off the ship and kicking some farmers arse Right in there with me sword. Then in the end some Vaughn (sp?) bloke took me out. Git. Still, good stuff so far.

Liked the revolving cube startup screen. Reminded me of my original DBC game, except I used a sphere. If only I could find the damn code to finish it off...

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 22:05
I can only use one picture in game according to the rules - so that\'s the picture, lol. I think you\'ll enjoy the new battle descriptions, they are far more dynamic and will surely add to the atmosphere.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 06:31 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2007 06:33
5:22
How life in Egypt tends to be during afternoon and night. I need to start hurrying with WT:JF, since my girlfriend will come visit me from the 10th till the 29th. Since she, being an 18 years old, spent €600 on visiting me for 3 weeks (from the 10th till our common return to the Netherlands) I can't go and program a lot as soon as she gets here out of hospitalities sake. Ofcourse, that I love spending time with her also accounts for loss of programming time.

And the worst thing is, I'm working mostly on drawings, very simple but in my opinion quite clear drawings of the locations and events. Programming advanced only adding the battle of part 4 against Jauth and the locating of the five stones of essence. The swords link to those, and Jarod, holding Flash, and depending on the player Isarat, will be able to activite the stones to trigger an alternative ending. All of this is programmed, I just need to program the battle against Vaug now, and some random things.

I need to add a stat screen after gameover or victory, add the images, I want a clearer Chapter transition (hey, I could do that now) and I need to write the epilogue and that's about it. I think if I work hard, a complete version could be available around the 7th, but don't keep me to that just yet. Depends on my drawing time, the developments over at SW3D Games (which might be interesting for you all (since it's a DBC game), I was lucky enough to be offered a sneak peek of their new game, and an interview with Shawn (SFSW on these forums) for my blog here) and my girlfriends online time.

EDIT: Added fading chapter announcement.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 08:51 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2007 08:52
For those interested, I've added a background description of the setting to the top of this post.

Update? Sure. I've played through the entire game from start to end today, and I found nothing new, no bugs, unexpected mistakes, errors or things like that. Good thing. Yesterday I've been able to create a drawing of the Forest and the Barrens. Mountains are turning out very hard, the Hills and Plains will be easy. I'm drawing the locations seperatly so I can overlay them on the location images. Little dynamic, but hey, it'll work out just fine if it works out fine.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2007 09:49
Game is nearing completion, but development has stalled due to participating with BETA's from a befriended DBC developer. This'll probably get done this month or early September. I find the beta's of a much higher importance due to the sheer scale of that project.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2007 19:54
@tha_rami~ Sweet, congrats that ur almost done. I'll be watching

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 21:25 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2007 21:28
It's not dead. No, even better: it's almost done.

Slightly delayed due to the beta's of Evochron Renegades, which will be released very soon, Wartorn has been undergoing final preparations before testing stage. I'll be testing the quest flow and balance, and of course search for some bugs. I'm requesting for a few beta testers when I'm done with this. I will select people I know over unknown persons, but you're always free to try.

I hope to release Wartorn around the 30th of September.

In the meanwhile, check out Geek Culture for Wartorn - First. Several chapters of the actual story have been posted there for your consideration.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 08:53
With Gil Galvanti's help I've been able to locate a few bugs today, and a few spots that need some rebalancing. Seems like no-one else is interested in beta-testing at this moment, so I'll just continue with Gil and any possible candidates.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 09:11
very well done rami..this is just more inspiration to keep making my game too.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 09:23
Thanks Zombie. I hope to release the full version of Wartorn before September, 30.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 21:14
The beta is ready. I have 2 testers up till now, Xenocythe and Gil Galvanti. Since there seems to be no further interest whatsoever, I guess those two will do a more than satisfactory job of destroying my hopes .

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2007 18:07 Edited at: 25th Sep 2007 18:07
Fixed additional errors and starting fixing spelling and grammar errors I find. Just loaded the code into Word to spellcheck it, lol.

Started adding some final polish.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2007 04:55
Pulled the entire code through the Word spell checker, was quite fun. Readability statistic were a good laugh, I must admit.

Fixed a small bug where the environmental descriptions during a fight would mix up. Also fixed a bug in which quest 2 would be replaced by quest 4, failing you quest 2.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 03:41 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 03:41
BETA Stage to commence tonight.
I fixed some final bugs including a ubermayor one - the Dominican could actually crash twice if you played the game the wrong (or right) way. If everything stays as it is and no mayor bugs are found I'll be uploading a beta of Wartorn, plus a readme and viewme file this night around 2:30 GMT.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 04:40 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 07:27
The game is attached. Please read the ReadMe file before playing, which counts as disclaimer as well ect. ect. The viewme file is a visual explanation of how the combat system was created. Just so you know.

If you play it seriously and read carefully, please report problems with finding what to do next (always CONTACT 127.6 before giving up).

Also, please report bugs, story errors, typo's, grammatical errors and the like. I haven't been able to fix all [repeat enter]-things, but I have been able to decrease their frequency a lot.

Place Wartorn in a seperate directory as it will create directories for each save game slot. By default, the autosave function is enabled, music disabled (turn it on!), the graphical HUD off (turn it on!), the descriptional HUD is on (leave it) and the text pointer HUD off (your choice...) - you can access the options by entering the main menu (option 9).

Enjoy. I hope.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 16:43
Sorry, been on holiday and seriously busy with a few things to see new posts. Will have to give the latest release a try over the weekend when I get a spare minute.

Might actually get on with my program as well after a two month gap. Doh.

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 17:02 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 17:03
I hope you enjoy it, it's a lot larger game now. But ofcourse, that makes it easier to make mistakes . Please tell me if you find anything.

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 19:44
The download doesn't seem to work for me, I'm getting an error,

Quote: "ERR#3 Invalid File ID. Aborting."

Looking forward to trying the beta

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 20:48
Yeah, uploading doesn't work. Something about an incomplete set of HTTP headers. I uploaded it to my own website, should work now.

The latest release includes fixed double enters, different font sizes in the options menu and a single bug found.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 03:18
Coming together nicely with all these fixes . I'll report more bugs as I find them .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 03:38
Yeah, if it goes on like this, I might even make a release at the 30th of September, although I do start to get the feeling early October is more likely. I was hoping for more response from the community, but I guess not.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 05:41
As only Matt Rock can say it:

An aesthetical update for Wartorn. Check the first post. Also fixed a single reported bug and the font settings now all fit correctly.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 05:15
HUD looks much cleaner and better .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 05:51
Final update. Thanks to the beta testers ( all four of them ) for helping me making this an as bug-free release as possible. I'm not certain everything is ironed out, but it should be pretty solid. I played several games through from start to end and didn't notice anything odd. Guess I can say it works, then, can't I?

For this update:
* Added regenerating energy.
* Added more summons.
* Added more conversation.
* Fixed conversation-with-decapitated-person bug (lol. oops).
* Added scoring system!
* Added password puzzle.
* Added some polish (not the language!).
* Several rebalancing issues fixed.

This will have a Program Announcements tomorrow.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 07:40
Sweeeeet!!! Dude i cant wait for the finished version. Pleaaaase hurry

Meh. Signatures. Lame :p
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 20:27
Thanks, Xeno. I'm running through some final tests and then releasing it. My first finished project, lol.

The Grim Reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 20:34
Looks awesome! I'm downloading it now.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 03:55
Program Announcement available. Check top post.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:49:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:49:15