Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Flat Shaded Models when exporting in Lith...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 18:17
I make my models in Anim8or and texture them in Lith. After exporting them from Anim8or they are "smooth shaded" and look very good, however untextured. After I texture them in Lith and saving them they go to "flat shaded", appearing, well, flat. I like them much better the other way. Can I use a different exporter or something in Lith?

Thanks
Xander
Bolt of Bolt Software Productions
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 20:40
Just re-open the model into anim8or(I suggest .obj format) and re-weld the vertice.

Lithunwrap,in order to generate it's uv data,I assume exploses the meshes you import in therefore leaving all polygons as separate objects which you don't want.

Running away You're lost for words again Now you`ve got all what you wanted Are you really satisfied?
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 06:32
Re-Weld the vertice? I looked for it in Anim8or, but couldn't find it. It is in Milkshape, but I don't have the money right now, and my demo ran out. There is a weld command in Lith, but it just takes multiple vertices and turns them into one. Not helpful. Do you have Anim8or? If so, where is the command? Thanks.

Xander
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 13:44
I don't use anim8or anymore but I know you can weld vertice in it,problem is,will it import a textured model correctly?

Running away You're lost for words again Now you`ve got all what you wanted Are you really satisfied?
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 18:08
I can import the models with the texture data. I looked for commands, but there are commands where you can take multiple vertices, and turn them into one. That is also what Lith seems to do when you try to weld the vertices. I thought of exporting the texture data in Lith, then importing it in Anim8or, if I can do that. Haven't checked it yet, but then I wouldn't be saving the model in Lith.

Xander
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 18:43
Easy,just open the textured model in anim8or,select ALL vertice and when you use the 'merge points' to weld the vertice together...

If it collapses into one vertex you can eitherscale the model up to have a greater distance bewteen each vertice thus getting more precise unit sizes OR simply select the point 2 by 2 and merge them.

Hope this helps

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 18:31
Thanks. I didn't try it yet, but I didn't know that merge was for that purpose, I thought that it was to take multiple points and make them into one point to eliminate extra points. Cool. I will try that tonight and give you credit in my credits. It will make a big difference to the graphics in my game. Thanks again.

Xander
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 07:34
Gees. Failed again. (Kind of like my finals. Just kidding It does what I expected. I just takes multiple vertices and turns them into one, eventually turning the entire model into one vertex, no matter how far you zoom in. ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? Actarus, you have been very helpful. Thank you. Too bad it doesn't work. Not your fault.

Xander
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 11:21
Bolt I having exact same problem - I been watching this thread hoping someone will help you thus helping me.

If I figure how to do it I shall post here.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 15:23
Have you tried changing the threshold value for the merge point command...

They only merge into one because the model's scale size is smaller than the value....

Have you also tried merging them 2 by 2?

ALso,have you used 'combine Solids' before?

Modeling Tip of the Week:Keep away from the infamous frog dissection pose!
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 07:37
Yes, my solids are combined. Yeah, the larger you set the merge points threshold range, the more points are combined. I understand that. If I set it lower, so that only two points are merged, will it do something different? I don't think so. By 2x2 you mean just grabbing 2 points and merging them, 2 more points and merging them, etc... right? That would take forever on some of my models. I will try it.... If you merge them together, they just create one point instead of two, and position that point where one of them used to be! I don't see how that will work, sorry if I am being really stupid, or something, but I don't see it.

However, I got some good news. Sort of. A guy named Comic Book Guy said in another thread that if you set the light flag on models to 0 in DB then they will be smoother. Don't know if it really works, but then they will ignore light sources. I don't have a problem with that, but others probably do. Good Luck

Xander
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 07:38
Yeah, the only way to merge points is to combine the solids that they are on first, if they are on different ones.

Xander
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 07:39
Maybe I should try .obj format. Would it work better?

Xander

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-27 22:31:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-27 22:31:32