Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Manually creating a wheel

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Because i can't get my head around the built in vehicle commands and because i want more control over my vehicles i've decided to attempt to build my own.

However it seems nigh on impossible to do what i want. On one axis the wheel needs to spin the full 360 degrees and torque can then be applied to it to make the vehicle move. I managed to get this far by using the swing2 axis on the 6DOF joint but it was an apparent waste of time because i also need another axis to rotate independently from -45 to +45 degrees for the steering mechanism.

So then i tried the sphere joint and managed to get two seperate rotations but firstly applying a limit to either one failed and secondly if both axis were rotating at the same time the object rotated like crazy.

So finally i tried manually rotating and updating the position of the wheel in relation to the chassis. This too was a total disaster as i couldn't get it to work anywhere like what i wanted.

So now i'm writing this in the desperate hope that someone can think up some solution (presumably involving the 6DOF joint?). If not its back to the vehicle commands included and i really dont want to have to try them again.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Albatross
Years of Service
User Offline
This is very very rough, but it might give you a starting point. It's the result of trying to build my own vehicle system, forgot I even had it until I saw this thread.

CJD
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks ever so much for sharing that!

It's exactly what i was looking for and it has improved my understand of 6DOF joints greatly.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 23:51:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 23:51:46