Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / - Inspire's Noob Help Thread - [Post your questions here]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 21:16 Edited at: 26th Aug 2007 02:52
Lately I've been getting annoyed by always seeing threads (with non descriptive titles, may I add), asking the same questions, over and over and over. So, I have decided to make a thread, where I list all of these common noob problems, and post answers to them.

*****If you have a question, post it, and I will add it and the answer to the list.*****

Why should I buy FPS Creator?

Answer.

Where should I ask for help?

Uh...here!

What is the proper way to ask a question on this forum, and what is the importance of wording it properly?

Well, first of all, use proper grammar and punctuation. Nobody will want to read a question the looks like this.

Quote: "i has a cheezburger. can has cheezburger?"

Haha. Actually, This is the real example:

Quote: "i got a problem with ma fpsc creator i cant get the lites 2 work can any1 helpme plz"

That means that they have to decipher whatever strange language you are speaking in at the moment. I mean, people who aren't native English speakers, try your best, but people who speak English, you are just making yourself look stupid.

When asking about a problem you are encountering, give as much information as possible to give readers an idea of what's going on. If you just say that you are having a problem with your lights, or you get an error, you will probably get a good flaming, or no answers at all.

And, I will say this one more time, use proper grammer and punctuation.

I am new to FPSC. Where should I get started?

The first thing you should do, before even attempting to make a game, is read the manual. All you have to do is click the shortcut in the start menu, and read. It'll take all of ten minutes, and you will get a better feel for FPSC.

Next, read Nickydude's Hints and Tips Guide. It is a sticky in the Product Chat board, or, if you're lazy, click here.

Also: Do not try to make the next Halo. Make a small game, using stock media, and FINISH IT. Make it only three levels, if you would like.

I have built my game, and gave it to my friend. He can't play it for some reason. What's wrong?

You probably just took the .exe from the folder and gave that to him. When you build game, FPSC copies all necessary media to your specified build game folder, along with a pre-made FPSC-Game.exe, which is renamed to the title of your game. If you want to give your game to your friend, you must give him the "Files" folder and all of it's contents, the .exe file, the setup.ini file and the userdetails.ini file.

How do I get my own media ingame?

If you are making a model, make sure it's a .x file. There are three ways to do this from here.

NOTE: These are not arranged in any order.

First Method: Entity Workshop. This is not a modeler. It simply imports your media into FPSC with a few button clicks. Best of all, it's free.

Second Method:
MagicFPS. I have never used this program personally, but apparently it's pretty good. It allows you to texture and scale different prefabs, or use your own .x file and import it into FPSC.

Third Method: MakeEntitiesFromXFiles (Download Link). This is the original entity importer used by TGC to import the FPSC media. This program gives you the most control over your objects, but in some aspects it could be a tad confusing. It comes with the source code (for DBPro), if you are into editing it, and a bunch of tutorials about how to use it.

If you are trying to make segments, there are also three options. Make sure you have your texture file finished, and in a common image format.

NOTE: These are not arranged in any order.

First Method: Signs IV. This is an incredibly easy tool, and it's what I use to import all of segments. You can also use it to create overlays and HUD's from images, and import them easily.

Second Method: MagicFPS (again). You can easily create room and ground segments with this program, and it apparently comes with over 50 high quality textures.

Third Method: Segment Editor (download link). This is what TGC used to import the stock media segments. This is definitely the hardest option out of all of them, but it offers the most flexibility. You can add shaders, and position the different parts of the segment.

My map is running really slow. Why is this happening?

There are many reasons for this.

Most of the stock media entities are dynamic by default. This means that physics is on, which always slows down your computer. This is because the engine has to continuously check the objects position and it's other properties.

FPSC relies on a portal system to help boost framerates. This means that it chops up sections of the level, and when they are in view, or your about to enter them, it is rendered. If you have a wide open area, this portal system won't work, and you're left will low framerates.

Also, if you use only high poly models, it will generally slow the game down.

How do I take screenshots?

There two ways to do this. The second one is the one I prefer, just out of habit. The other way is probably better.

First Method:
Press F12 while playing the game. This will save a .BMP of your current screen in your FPSC install folder. The HUD is not displayed in this screenshot, and if you're in Test Game mode, the debug info is not seen either. Remember: If you want to attach your image on the forum, make sure to convert it into a .jpg. The easiest way to do this is open it in Paint, and then save it as a .jpg.

Second Method:
Hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard. This copies your current screen to an image on the clipboard. Open up Paint, and paste it by hitting Ctrl+V, or clicking Edit > Paste. Note: The image's resolution is the same as your desktop resolution. I recommend scaling it down to 800 x 600. An easy way to do this is IrfanView. Make sure you save as .jpg, if you want to attach it on the forums.

How do I make cutscenes?

The easiest way to do this would be machinima. You act it out ingame, and record your screen with a, well, screen recorder.

The ones that come to mind are:

Fraps
CamStudio

There are many more out there. If anybody has any suggestions, post it.

If you want to display these ingame, you can either use the VIDEO=X command, or you can use a story zone.

In commercial games, you always see a small video with the developers logo play. How would I do this in FPSC?

There are many ways.

Method One: Write a launcher in DarkBasic, Visual Basic, C, etc. You would need a very basic knowledge of the language, and know how to launch the game when the movie's done playing.

Method Two: GameCover 2 (From FPSFree). Follow the instructions, and you're good to go.

Method Three: FPSPack. This program zips up your game files, and offers a minimal amount of protection. It can play videos, and you can choose from different skins for the launcher.

Method Four: Vishnu. This program offers a fair amount of protection for a cheap price. For most indie games, this is the perfect buy. It allows for you to play one video upon launch.

Method Five: Pheonix Game Protection. This program offers awesome protection for your FPSC game. It allows you to play up to three videos upon launch. If all you want to do is play a couple of videos when you start your game, this is overkill.

My entities are white. Why is this happening?

When your entities are white, this means either you have attached an all white texture to them for some reason or another, or FPSC could not find they're specified texture.

If this is a problem with the stock media, the easiest way to do this is reinstall. If it's a model pack, reinstall that. Make sure you back up anything that's important. This may cause your ambience to reset, your preferences to reset, or your version to change back to v.1.00. Easy fix, though.

If this is a problem with your custom media, check the .fpe, and check this line:

Make sure to include the file extension, too.

Where can I go for a scripting tutorial in the FPI language?

There are few resources for this (that I have found).
There is a section devoted to the FPI language on page 85 of the FPS Creator Manual.
FPSFree also has a scripting tutorial, which also comes with a complete list of the conditions and actions found in the language. Click here to see it.
Click here to find Bullshock's "Everything you've ever wanted to know about scripting..." tutorial.
The rest is on your own.

I have some FPI scripts that I want to bring ingame. What do I do with them?

Navigate to your FPSC install folder, and go to Filesscriptbank. Place your FPI files in there. Then, when you want to assign the to an entity, right click the entity, and change the appropriate script (under AI Scripts) to the script of your choice. If you are editing a character's scripts, you might have to swap out the "Shoot" script.

How do I know which one to change to my script?

Well, there are four types of scripts: Start, Main, Destroy, and Shoot. The last type is only used by character entities. You rarely switch the Start and Destroy scripts, unless you want different fadeout times, or you want the character to leave it's body behind, etc.

As for characters, the Main script dictates how close they get, if they chase you, etc. The shoot script usually dictates how they attack, and their attack patterns, such as throwing grenades.

Is there a way to change the resolution my game displays at? How could I do this?

Open the setup.ini file in the FPSC install folder, or open up the setup.ini file in your built game's folder. Edit the values in the following code:

Is there a way to change the texture sizes in my built game, without having to recompile?

Yes there is. Open up the setup.ini file in your built game's folder, and look for the following line. Then edit the values accordingly.

0 = 512 x 512
2 = 256 x 256
4 = 128 x 128
8 = 64 x 64

Why do I have to wait for my post to show up?

New users are set on post moderation for the first 30 they are here.

These are all of the questions I have answered for now. I would have more, but I have to go.

*****If you have a question, post it, and I will add it and the answer to the list.*****

Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 21:29
I already know but I thought you should add this.

"Where should I ask for help?"

Best.

---PlasmaArts---
www.plasmaarts.co.nr - www.plasmaarts-games.co.nr
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 21:35
Haha, I'll get on that.

Just added another question, by the way.

Logie Hogie
Years of Service
User Offline
Can i Get ai into my multiplayer game? like a co-op type deal?

And how do i turn off physics? what do i need to turn off to make it run smoothly.

Im New
Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 21:50
Heres a common question,

Where can I go for a scriting tutorial on the FPI language?

[url=www.x-games.mdhost.info]X-Games[/url]
[url=fps-files.com]FPS-Files[/url]
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 22:14
Added.

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 16:44
Another question:

I'm putting the scripts in notepad and saving them, Why dont they work?

I already know the answer but people add me on MSN just to ask that question.

Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 19:44
Umm.. the question was "Where do I ASK for help?", not LOOK for help. Oh, and as for FPI Scripting help, make sure to add this:

-----------------
Commander in Chief is working on FPI Maker: Continued. You can find the original version here (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=62056&b=23).
-----------------

---PlasmaArts---
Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 22:43
You told me you aint finishing any DBP projects cause you said its not capable of anything.

Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 22:46
Erm... FPI Maker is not DBPro. FPI Maker is in Hexidecimal. And yes, DBPro is capable of very much. I just prefer the C style syntax and therefore have gone off to use Torque.

---PlasmaArts---
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 06:57
How LyKE sHOULd I mayk a NEW map lvl?
me need s help cuz Immakin a game for my broder.

Haha.. JK.

Enjoy Inspire, because you'll eventually get ALOT of those.

Aaron

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 08:58 Edited at: 21st Jul 2007 08:58
Haha, Aaron. If I do get something like that, I won't answer it. I would say "Wake up, and figure out how to type legibly. Then I might answer your question."

Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 18:35
*ugh* Dont you hate it when your posts get buried and never get read?

---PlasmaArts---
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 20:10
Yeah. That took quite a bit to type all of that, hunt down the links, etc. Even though the title says "Noob Help Thread", the noobs don't even read it. Nobody answer their questions! I'll just answer it here, and if they can't figure it out to look here, sucks to be them.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 20:54
Well, if nothing else we can point the new guys to this thread instead of saying "search for it".

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 20:55
Yeah, that's what I've been doing.

Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 03:22
I meant my post.... I said the question was "Where do I ASK for help?", not "Where do I look for help?".

---PlasmaArts---
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 03:28
Haha, I changed it.

Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 09:23 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2007 09:29
Nah, n00bs dont talk like that. Try this:

"i um dunn0 but sumtyms mi ef pee ess c scwuws ^ and 1ts lik raly anuyng so cen u help meh"

That's atleast something like I've seen.

[Edit] Inspire, when I asked you to add that question, I figured you would put "Ask questions in the FPSC Chat board.", not "You shouldn't be using this program.". That does not help at all...

---PlasmaArts---
Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 09:35
Haha, add a small "Tips to Success" section at the bottom. Here's something you can add to it:

Quote: "There is nothing that shouts noob louder than "leet speak", typos and spelling mistakes."

Taken directly from the TGC

Newbies never even look at that page....

---PlasmaArts---
BMB
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "One thing that has me wondering is this: All noobs would be on post approval right? then how come the mods let these pointless threads through"

Hmm... I was just wondering that same thing recently.

Pancakes 69
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a file size limit for music files? the only ones that will work for me are the ones that came with the program. BTW they are in WAV format.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 04:01
Quote: "Hmm... I was just wondering that same thing recently."

I'll email a mod about how the post moderation system works.

@ Pancakes: I'll test how large file sizes later tonight. I'm almost 100% sure that there isn't, though. I have used really big music files before. I'll post again when the question and answer are up.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 06:39
Quote: "All noobs would be on post approval right? then how come the mods let these pointless threads through""

It's probably to stop the noobs posting 38509387509387 copies of the same topic when they don't see it appear. Approve it, then lock it so they know not to post it again. It probably saves them time in the long run. Just a thought.

[center]
fata error
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 12:31 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 16:18
can you list some useful commands and what they do plz?

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 18:27
Quote: "can you list some useful commands and what they do plz?"

Already answered. Look again.

Bloder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 19:41
how do I import models to Fps creator?
Ragged Druid
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a noob (technically) and I hate your stereotypes.

In all seriousness, are one-layer rooms generally bad? I'm trying to make a generic bunker level for a game I'm making, and all the rooms are one layer.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 23:45
Already answered.

game lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 04:30 Edited at: 26th Jul 2007 05:41
Here I have a question Inspire. Is there a way I can get a Character to react when he/she/it hears a certain sound file?

Edit: here's an example so its more understandable: If they hear gunshots they rotate to the player.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 06:05
I'm not entirely sure about that one, game lover. Try using the "NOISEHEARD=X" condition. So when NOISEHEARD=1, the character does whatever you want him to do when he hears a noise. I haven't tried that out myself, so tell me if it works.

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 17:41
inspire iv seen alot of ur stuff u r like amazing at this so i was wonundering if u could help me out i gess this thread is perfect ok here it gose

q 1. how do u take screen shots?

q 2. can u help me out with this game im maken u no give me some idvis?

priske productions
GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 17:44
man thats not good it wont let my posts show up cuze im new man well i cheak in on this thread alot to see if my q's posted

priske productions
GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 16:27
inspire how do i get to the place were i can donload the demo for ur game

priske productions
Sibraa5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 11:41
I got a question. How do I add DYNAMIC LIGHTING? I try but it just doesn;t seem to work....so now my first game will have no proper lighting

Coming Soon: Outbreak
GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 15:58
ya iv had that to i plane to read the instructions agen cuze im shere its in there

priske productions
GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 15:59

priske productions
GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 02:55
inspire i need to know 1st how i make the text say wot i wont it to then i need to no how to put it in my game

priske productions
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 03:29
Quote: "nspire iv seen alot of ur stuff u r like amazing at this so i was wonundering if u could help me out i gess this thread is perfect ok here it gose

q 1. how do u take screen shots?

q 2. can u help me out with this game im maken u no give me some idvis?
"

Q1: Just answered. Look at the first post.

Q2: What is the game about?

Quote: "inspire how do i get to the place were i can donload the demo for ur game"

Check here.

Quote: "I got a question. How do I add DYNAMIC LIGHTING? I try but it just doesn;t seem to work....so now my first game will have no proper lighting"

When placing lights, hit the Y key to switch them to dynamic, or just right click a pre-existing light and change the Static Mode value to "No". Try to use mostly static lights, unless you have a special reason to use a dynamic light.

Quote: "ya iv had that to i plane to read the instructions agen cuze im shere its in there"

What?

Quote: ""

You shouldn't make pointless posts like this. It's a waste of space.

Quote: "inspire i need to know 1st how i make the text say wot i wont it to then i need to no how to put it in my game
"

Signs IV can do this. Check the first post for a link to it.

A little advice: Try to type and spell correctly, and use correct grammar. It'll help you come across as less of a noob.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 03:44
Quote: "ya iv had that to i plane to read the instructions agen cuze im shere its in there"

Yeah I've had that too. I plan to read the instructions again because I'm sure it's in there.

====
I can't make my mind up as to whether or not this guy seriously writes like this or if he's a troll...

[center]
Sibraa5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 03:59
thanks Inspire

now I can make a half-decent sequal when my first game's done

Coming Soon: Outbreak
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 04:12
Quote: "I can't make my mind up as to whether or not this guy seriously writes like this or if he's a troll..."

I think he's A4 coming back, pretending to be a noob. That or a troll.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 04:15
Quote: "I think he's A4 coming back, pretending to be a noob"

That Was My First Thought From The Way He Wrote "PrOdUcTiOnS". It Would Be Easier To Know ,Though, If He Started Doing This Again!

[center]
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 04:21
Hahaha!

Another thing: this is now a hot thread. Make sure to wear potholders. Maybe noobs will actually notice this thread. lol

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 13:03 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2007 17:25
are you trying to make a sticky thread? i think you are

heres a question,
1.Why hasn't lee been bothered to make more patches and fix the engine?

Q-Can you make me a character for free please?
A-Doubt it will happen

EDITED 2nd Q

[href]www.myspace.com/pictureperfecttheband[/href]
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 14:23 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2007 15:48
ill help because 1. hez "bothering" to get x10 finished for all the people waiting

2. yes I will make you a model if you pay me lol

Actully I have a question im not exactly a noob but this thead is being watched by people who know much more than me so: Did anyone ever discover a way for an imported entity to use more than one texture?

Thanks
Adam
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 16:49
You can't use more than one texture at the same time, only alternate textures, if you know how to do that through scripting.

Lee's trying to make a similar source code that both X9 and X10 can use, so alot of the X10 features are coming back to X9. Just think of it as waiting for a mega-update. He's working on it.

And I don't know which would be better. If this was a sticky thread, noobs might not see it. Then again, they might. If it just remains as it is, then they might see it, but it's not a sticky (as I would like).

lol

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 00:04 Edited at: 4th Aug 2007 00:20
Quote: "You can't use more than one texture at the same time, only alternate textures, if you know how to do that through scripting."

I was sure you could use multiple textures on dynamic entities... Let me try and find the thread that contained the solution...

=============
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=92182&b=24

[center]
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 01:06
Oh yeah, thanks Thraxas. He's right. I was being a bit narrow minded.

Ragamuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 06:45
How can I convince my mom to let me get this game? She hates shooting games (Even more now because someone shot at her in her car and broke the window) and cringes at the sight of animated blood. Is there any trick on possesing her mind to make me at LEAST get the trial?

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 05:17:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 05:17:10