Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / [LOCKED] Elite forces character ... FINISHED !!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 02:06
Misanthrope ...... it states why in my post >> try reading it again <<

Veggie ...... I didn't say I posted on those forums, but what does it matter.

At the end of the day, a lot of people like my modeling/texturing ... and a lot of people buy models from me.

If you can't handle that, then tough !

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

Misanthrope
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh...

Polycount's a pretty good place to pimp quality stuff if you're looking to pick up some contract work, yeah...or even just to get worthwhile feedback that actually helps.

On a slight tangent, I've only posted a handful of things on the old DB forums....one was a fast animated texture engine and the other was polygon perfect sliding collision that ran at 75FPS on a Pentium 200. (I was also working on a DBC level exporter plugin for 3D Canvas Pro before DBPro suddenly hit the shelves and obviated it, hehheh...)

I also posted the beginnings of a pretty neato GUI system that was driving me crazy at the time. The first two I posted to prove it could be done (lots of pointless arguments over budget gamedev software capabilities in these days too, you know), and I posted the GUI because it was making me feel like an idiot and I actually learned a thing or two from the others who played around with the code.

So those are my reasons, basically. Simple's sort of ruled out all of the plausible reasons, and seeing as he gets pretty offended at any responses that offer less than puppylike enthusiasm and unreserved adulation, I'm left with the rather unpalatable logical conclusion that he's doing it to feel like a big fish in a small pond. That's why I asked him to clarify, because I don't like to think that of anyone else without just cause.

-Misanthrope
Misanthrope
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, Simple, it doesn't say anywhere WHY you posted it. All you said was "It's an experiment, it's not meant to be realistic, and screw everybody who doesn't like it." Then you proceeded to say "I don't post models for praise, feedback, or insults. I post them for another reason entirely." And that reason was never clarified...either that or I need glasses.

To be fair, I *did* read your posts in this thread. All I see are the words of someone who doesn't like criticism very much.

My question was: If you're not posting it for any of the obvious reasons, then why are you posting pictures of the model? As stated previously, I'm genuinely curious and would like to know.

-Misanthrope
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 04:26 Edited at: 8th Jun 2003 04:26
What's the big deal?

Simple made a model and posted it.

Am I missing something?

(Current)-learning some animation-
(progress)-concept art finished-
(misc.)-Started modeling- (as current as)6-2-03
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 08:34
Maybe to inspire those who are just starting to model, or to gain a few most vistors for his webpage. Perhaps he's looking for work, or maybe, just maybe, he does it to solely piss off Raven.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats so cool man the texturing job is great.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
koolaid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 11:23
whats all this about guys?
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 13:51 Edited at: 8th Jun 2003 13:52
Misanthrope ..... here's a quote from what I said .... And because you seem too "THICK" to work it out for yourself, I'll highlight the bit which your brain can't comprehend.

QUOTE:
Work it out ! the amount of PAID modeling I've done for people who just look around forums like this one, but who are NOT members and don't use DBpro.

Although the models I post here are for a DBpro project .... I get lots of extra work just by posting them.

And Arrow touched on another nerve !! ........ Arrow >> this thread was talked about between some people before I even started it. There were a few conversations about how veggie would respond + who would be stuck up his ass !

Some of us were laughing about this thread, well before I posted the screenshot.

Looks like nothing changes .... veggie can't handle seeing any of my finished/textured models - a couple of people jump in to try and feed what he say's - then there's the overly long post from veggie ( which most people won't bother to read anyway )

Then there's the people who start taking sides .... Now I'm just waiting for the flames between some of the other people who's posted in here

But all in all ... it's turned out quite like some of us discussed

I've even had comments from a client about veggie and his stupid posts ( just before he ordered a model from me )

So at the end of tha day veggie, or anyone else >> it's not what you write - it's what people see

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 14:02
a small tip for Simple - if you don't want C&C on your work, then don't post it in the 3D Forum ... go over to the Beta Forum and post it as part of the game it is aimed for.

and i wouldn't doubt much that perhaps both Arrow & Misanthrope both have nailed the answer to why he still posts here.
as i've said Polycount is a FAR greater place for pushing models and especially drumming up business, as you have Amatures - Mod Teams - Professional Companies all wanting people to do art for them ... the thing is when you get into a forum of such a mark you have to accept the good with the bad.

and trust me you think i'm brutal in what i say, just wait until Bobo the Seal gets ahold of one of your models hahaa

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 14:20
Whatever !

If I make 3D, then I'll post it here on the 3D forum ( NOT where you want it posted )

And NO ... I don't think you're brutal ... just a ???

Misanthrope
Years of Service
User Offline
Thick?

Boy, Simple, you're really quick with the insults, aren't you? I don't recall saying anything to justify that kind of response. I guess showing you some respect was a waste of time. Naturally, your response to this may as well be canned...it'll be some form of "Who cares what you think?"

Frankly, I'm amazed anyone would buy your work with the kind of attitude you project towards anyone who doesn't kiss your ass straight off the bat. Fortunately for your wallet, I guess there's no shortage of easily impressed people who happily pay for mediocre work, or more accurately, mediocre work by any sort of serious standard.

I'd hate to see how you handle a particularly demanding client who doesn't tolerate sloppiness, if your total ego meltdown in the face of honest and respectfully phrased criticism is anything to go by.

-Misanthrope
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 15:12
You just don't get it do you ?

Let me spell it out for you >> I DON'T WANT YOU TO KISS MY ASS !! <<

I not looking for your "WOWS" or "CRAPS" ... the models here, and more will follow. And if you stick your "WOWS" or "CRAPS" in the thread then thats up to you.

Attutudes towards people change, as mine did towards you on the previous page ( but not because of your your original comments )

darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
AWww... Someones getting a little cranky! Did someone forget his juice?

[br]mikey
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 17:07
Can I ask a question?

How many people posting here have made a bone animated model that works well in DBPro? - not many I'll wager. It's easy to look at a render through a magnifying glass and pick irrelevant flaws, infact - why don't we all grab a screenshot from any commercial game and pick flaws in that?

I suppose professionals like Raven only make perfect models, and posting any of them here would just put us lesser mortals off posting anything. That's very considerate of you, but it'd be nice to see ANYTHING you've done that prooves that your not full of shit.

I have 2 demos on my PC, by Raven, both model viewers of quake3 models. Very impressive for a pro modeller who's been using DB for longer than most of us.

Simple is the kind of guy who'll start from scratch if something isn't right, he's getting his technique down for a massive project we're undertaking - which will need several character models. So try and look at the big picture, this guy might be just 1 in 1000. Quite frankly, I'd be the happiest DB'er in the world if he keeps this quality up - because I'm the lucky bastard that get's to play with them.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 18:15 Edited at: 8th Jun 2003 18:36
i actually released model viewers? i don't remember that, musta been when i was working on DarkArena in the early days.

Quote: "I suppose professionals like Raven only make perfect models, and posting any of them here would just put us lesser mortals off posting anything. That's very considerate of you, but it'd be nice to see ANYTHING you've done that prooves that your not full of shit."

just search the forums, made a SoCom for MetalFear completed it that was a pretty decent job for saying i spent a total of 2hrs on it.
there's a BMW 3series that CrappyCoder was going to use in his CarSim, dunno what happened to him or the model though.
i just don't advertise when i finish models or even post many of them up when i'm done is all ... for me it ain't really a big event, it's like the Unreal2 weaponry for Quake3 on polycount - i was talking to Moondog for ages before i released that, when it was finally release i just left it upto people to download didn't say a word about it.

ya'll all be seeing my models of Lee & Rick soon though within "DB Studios" - i guess if you want any models to pick apart those will probably be the ones to wait for.

[edit-]
here's an idea if you really want to test what i can do, how about you sketch me something you'd like to see in 3D, Skinned & Animated.
I don't mind taking time from my current projects for a single piece of work.
what it is, completely upto you ... if you want to tell me which package you'd like to see me use for constucting the 3D & Animation i'm not bothered either

currently i have Milkshape 1.6.6a - Softimage XSI 3.0 - Maya 4.5 Unlimited - 3D Studio Max 5.1.1 - to choose from.

just sketch it and i'll work on it, you'll have let me know the animation you'd like to see with it too
(btw i'm talking to Van)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 23:25
Well if people think simple should improve his work then I'm bolloxed - I just made a 3d spaceship, unwraped in lithunwrap, and painted my texture. Now the texture on my model is upside down and back-to-front.
(But perhaps one shouldn't try this sort of thing whilst bladdered)
Misanthrope
Years of Service
User Offline
Whatever, Simple. As far as I'm concerned, you're impolite, immature, temperamental, and you make very little sense because of all the inconsistencies between what you claim and what you actually do. Not only that, you go off rudely on people when they all too naturally cannot reconcile those inconsistencies.

I would recommend discussing the joys of Zoloft, Prozac et al with your friendly neighborhood physician. Goodness knows your seemingly nonexistent "people skills" just might benefit from a little pharmaceutical redaction.

And you aren't even really very much of a model designer. Don't get me wrong, you manipulate vertices and polygons very, very well. Your texturing work isn't bad either, but like the saying goes..."A superbly crafted POS is still a POS." The whole reason why I was asking you to explain your reason for posting that model, AFTER you dismissed all the plausible reasons for doing so, is because I could not take seriously your comments about posting for exposure and getting more commissioned work. I thought those were truly ludicrous reasons primarily because your model design skills are nothing to write home about...and that is exactly why I would never buy anything from you. Odds are I'm not the only one. Granted, there's probably a lot of little commission jobs out there coming your way, but all you're doing is associating your name with utter crap. You marketing genius, you.

In other words, I could have accepted "Oh, I posted it just for grits and shiggles", but not "Because it makes me money! People see it and they hit their knees to offer me delightful fellatio in awe of my Uber Leet, Mad Roxxoring Modeling Skillz!"

You're right about one thing though..."It's not what's being said, but what's being seen that counts (insert lame smiley)".

Yep. That could work against you too, you know...you shouldn't assume that you're good just because people who frequent these forums spontaneously ejaculate in glee at your posted shots. I've seen people loudly praise an impressive amount of abysmal crap on these forums...I don't know about you, but I'd sort of take it as a hint that maybe this isn't such a great place to test the waters, let alone hoping that some gullible soul will part with perfectly good money on the basis of some half-baked WIP screenshot.

You have the technical ability, but you can't design worth a damn. And if you can't design worth a damn, you're not worth having on a team because I don't know of any game designers who want to handhold/babysit a 3D modeler every step of the way because he lacks the most rudimentary design sense. Just look at your soldier's design...at best, that's third-rate Counterstrike mod work. And if it's juuuust an experiment, like you said, then you'd have to possess two giant iron balls to depend on THAT to impress any sort of real development team.

In fact, I wouldn't even have publicized those images in the first place had they been mine...that guy really isn't a very good model for self-marketing because he looks so absurd from a common sense standpoint. But apparently you're satisfied with the weenie commissions you're picking up from people who don't have any design sense themselves.

(And yes, I've seen at least some of the other 3D works you've produced. This lack of good design principle is an universal flaw of your models...at least the ones you were brave enough to publicly associate your name with.)

I'm not wasting any more time on this thread.

-Misanthrope
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 01:01

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 01:22
Quote: "you shouldn't assume that you're good just because people who frequent these forums spontaneously ejaculate in glee at your posted shots. I've seen people loudly praise an impressive amount of abysmal crap on these forums...I don't know about you, but I'd sort of take it as a hint that maybe this isn't such a great place to test the waters,"

I take it as this is aimed more towards me, for I am frequently on these forums, and often praise others for their work.Come on Misanthrope, why don't you stop flaming simple, and get on with your life.As far as I'm concerned I'm not worried about Simple trying to raise commisions for himself or whatever you're arguing about.

Quote: "I'm not wasting any more time on this thread."

Problem solved

As for everyone else, just remember were not all pros.
Some of us are just in for the learning experience, and some of us are here as hobby programmers/modelers/etc.

note:Someone needs to lock this topic.

(Current)-Conquest of the Continent Announced!!-
(progress)-concept/story/goals finished-
(misc.)-Learning milkshape- (as current as)6-7-03
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 03:51
Misanthrope & Yellow:

Chill out dudes, both of u had been here quite a while, u guys should know about these 2 Street Fighters by now

Its just another one of their 'playful time together', let 'em have their fun! lol!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 04:38
Misanthrope,

So your saying that anyone who posts positive comments is an idiot, anyone who has Simple in their team is an idiot, anyone who associates with Simple is an idiot, and Simple, who has more experience in artwork than anyone posting here is an idiot.

What hole did you crawl out of again? - can I help you find your way back?

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
WindTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 07:10
I think -somebody- is jealous of Simple's talent.
Oh and whats that? Nobody flamed my FF7 models! I just got really lazy on the textures to hold true to the FF7 style. Personally, I think Misanthrope needs to just back off on the flaming, however amusing it is when I read his/her posts.
*Warning: Inbound flaming*
You partial to FF7 Miss.Anthrope or what? Or is it just that you dont like that someone is showing off their talent? I hate to break it to you but thats how this world works. To put it in ghetto american terms, "Ya show off ya game an' go places." Don't make yourself eat your own words Miss.Anthrope, your only digging yourself back into that hole that Van B so rightfully pointed out. --Mitch

Live as if to die tomorrow...
Learn as if to live forever.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 14:16
I've deleted the final few posts from this thread and am locking it now due to pretty much everyones inability here to act beyond their penis size.

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-27 23:43:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-27 23:43:54