Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SkyCars V.80beta

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 14:45
I stayed up all night finishing up the final levels for my latest game, SkyCars. It's compiled in DBC. It still has a few bugs here and there, which is why I would appreciate any bug reports and feedback you have to offer. Ideas for game improvement are also welcome.

I hope you enjoy this:
http://www.galaxyware.tk
http://thehobbit.mine.nu/skycars-banner.jpg[/img]
http://www.galaxyware.tk
kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 18:00
This game is cool!
Great work!
I found it a bit hard, but not too hard, so that's ok.
And I love those backgrounds!

What you can do is make it possible to move sidewards when in the air. That would make it more playable.

Kevil

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 18:18
Hmm, the original SkyRoads had something called the "Jump O Master" which would automatically adjust velocity in order to correct a jump. I kind of like this idea better since moving left-right in mid-jump isn't entirely realistic. The Jump O Master sounds like it will be very difficult to code because it needs to predict where you will land and how to change values upon jumping to land somewhere specific.

Well, I'm glad you liked the game otherwise . Thanks for your input!

UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 18:26
my game seemed to speed up and slow down wierdly making driving hard

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 20:12
Same here, but thats probably because my pc is crap. Great game! A little hard but otherwise really fun!

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 21:02
That would be the "delagger." I'm thinking I should make an option to disable it, or at least smooth it out. Thanks!

jimbo1913
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 21:23
Very VERY nice.

I just bought DB Classic so seeing stuff like this in it inspires me. I got a halfway ok PC (2k athlon, 9000 radeon 128mb, 512mb ram) and it runs really nice. Game speed and physics are spot on mate.

I agree with keevil though - if you could control your car mid-air it would be so much more playable.

Remember, game play ISNT about reality

from future review of next game....
'..while the programmer of this game may not be God-like he certainly represents the next step in human evolution. (10/10).'
DemonicPeon
Years of Service
User Offline
I already told you this but uts very nice man. I like the menu system, and all the tracks are distinctly different and fun at the same time. However, some of the levels (the sun ones!) were very difficult. The game run at a steady high framerate on my comp....

Genious is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
demonicpeon@yahoo.com
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 01:17
Hmm... I was half-way through a sky-cars entry for the retro compo a while back (never finished though) - I got round the control issue by allowing the user to control the direction until about 200ms after the start of the jump. Most people make quick corrections during this time. This way it prevents it being too easy (which is a problem with complete freedom of control in mid-air)

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 01:45
@Hell IVIonkey,

I played through the game some more, and I must say, it is top quality DB work - definately some of the best graphics of any DBC apps. Damn addicitive too

I have few suggestions, which I hope you will find useful:

Gameplay
========
- Ability to move the ship in mid-air needed
- Touching a wall destroys the ship regardless of speed, the ship is only supposed to blow up if it hits a wall at say 2 or 3 notches or more of speed. A few levels are unncesseserily difficult because even if you are just moving VERY slowly, you still blow the ship up.
- The gameplay does seem a little slower than I would have liked - It would be nice if either it were slightly faster by default or there was the option to play in "Fast Mode".

Graphics / Sound
================
- The lava textures need animating to make them more obvious
- The ships explosion anim. needs a little work, I suggest making the ship fly into pieces and for the explosion have the center one as now, but have two perpendicular expanding planes there as well, textured with a fire-ring
- The trail on the back of the ship is a bit too "loose", ie if you move left right / up or down the back of the trail is too far away from the front, like it was on a piece of string. Just make them tighter together
- The text on the HUD is hard to read - maybe a change in the texture to make it clearer / less blocky?
- There is a noticeable pause when the sound starts playing over again, can you remove this?

Okie - that is quite a lot of points there, but as I said, the game is excellent, in fact, I'm off to play it just now

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 03:14
@Rob K:

Ah, don't forget that the default resolution is 640x480x16. It's easier to see if you change this.

The maximum speed you can travel before exploding on a wall is 3 notches. Maybe I'll increase this value, or maybe it will look better when I increase the game speed.

Game speed: I'm currently implementing a slide bar type thing where you can pick a value between [fast gameplay] and [unchoppy gameplay]. I'm also letting you change the max viewable distance and giving you the option to disable the automatic unlagger.

You're absolutely right about the graphics, specifically explosions. I just wanted to get the physics engine out first, as it's of primary importance.

I'm thinking of implementing the Jump-O-Master from SkyRoads if I can figure out how they did it. However, your idea sounds like a great idea also. I may contact you if I can't figure out how to do it on my own.

Flame trail... I use combined velocity only in the Z-direction for the trail... maybe I should combined velocity for X and Y as well.

Animating textures... No idea how to do this without making the game slow as hell.

Music slowdown. Very typical DBC behavior for MIDIs. I'll probably make an option to turn off MIDI sound, or at least make the songs longer so that they cause pauses less often.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 03:16
@Jimbo:

I'm glad you enjoyed the game and I hope you can make your own games someday that can out-do this one!

@DemonicPeon:

Thank you sir. I appreciate the encouragement and the playtesting you've done.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 14:52 Edited at: 5th Jun 2003 14:57
Welcome to version .81 beta!

This version fixes:

GAME SPEED:
The jerkiness of the unlagger.
Allows you to adjust game behavior from [optimized for speed] to [optimized for accuracy].
Allows you to disable the unlagger, though I don't think it's necessary.

GAMEPLAY:
You now have some (but not too much) mid-air control. You can alter your x-velocity during about the first second of your jump.
You're now less sensitive to frontal collisions. I believe you can be going about half-speed before a crash will destroy you.

There's still a lot to do, but I hope this version will make the game more playable and enjoyable until I have time to smooth out the graphics.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 12:04 Edited at: 6th Jun 2003 12:05
And now at version .82 beta!

Fixed 2 critical errors.
Made the jumping correction system not limited to the first second, but increasingly ineffective as the jump progresses.
Few other little fixes and smooth-ifications.

I could use some feedback here. Does the game play at a decent speed now, have less jerks, skycar easier to control? Any problems still that I need to deal with? (Don't worry, I'll make the graphics better soon)

MiRRoRMaN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 20:39
Very awesome! I loved the menu too.... very addictive. Could use some cool retro remixing tunes though. remix.kwed.org you can contact the authors for music too and stuff.

www.mirrorman.cjb.net, the classic Commodore 64 and Amiga site.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 22:23
Excellent game!
Ran well on my 1.6ghz 8500 radeon

(Current)-Conquest of the Continent Announced!!-
(progress)-concept/story/goals finished-
(misc.)-Learning milkshape- (as current as)6-7-03
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 04:54 Edited at: 9th Jun 2003 05:26
Hehe, thanks all . Glad it's working well and all.

Mirrorman: Perhaps I'll listen to some for inspiration, but I really enjoy writing my own tunes (especially once you perhaps make a good MOD player!). They aren't really done yet, but eventually I will make all of the tunes pretty sexy and fitting. I'm already pretty proud of how the Warpgate, Jupiter, and Nebula(last) musics sound! I just wish I could put some non-MIDI ripping guitar leads in there!... without making it a huge download.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 21:38:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 21:38:15