Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Why aren't my balls shiny?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 16:14
Okay I'm right at the bottom of the 3D modelling learning curve so forgive me if I say something stupid....

A simple example of my problem:
I make a sphere (in Anim8or), change the colours, mess with the various settings (brilliance, roughness etc), and eventualy I make my sphere a nice red SHINY ball. Now I export it and load it into DBP and the colour is right but the shine as gone.

Can I have my shiny ball in DBP? And how do I do it?

thanx
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 16:47
Not familiar with Anim8or but the renderer included with it might calculate reflections itself and hence is not included with the model.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 19:10
in most packages the emmisson or specularity dictates the textures shine quality, this can be applied manually or dynamically with the correct texture and light and ambient values in DB.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 19:29
-Why aren't my balls shiny?

Have you tried shaving them? LOL!

Running away You're lost for words again Now you`ve got all what you wanted Are you really satisfied?
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 19:55
lol actarus

thanx for info.

I will experiment with the things u said indi.
Drakportalen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 22:20
Actarus has allready said it so I don't need to speak out of what I first thought when I saw the name of this post. lol..

To the problem. Anim8or has a weak export of .3ds expecially when u load em into DarkBASIC. So my tip is not to use anim8or to do this try to make the effect with different shades and lights in DBpro. Anim8or is a great program for modelling but it don't work with DBpro very well at all aspects. For examples textures and materials mostly never shows up you will have to ad them in DBpro and because of lack of support to export to .x files you can't use animations.

www.drakportalen.dot.nu
haXor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 00:19
god, lol ill bite my toung for this post

Sup Kids
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 01:05
Yea next time you may want to change the topic post, this is a little suggestive

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 01:33
I find sandpaper and a coat of varnish helps...

Gronda, Gronda
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 02:48
shiny disco balls.....///\\//\\//\\/\/\/\/\/\/\///\\\

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 04:04
Eh someone mention me? Hehehe I'm the king of shiny disco balls. Your problem is easy enough to solve. I don't use DBPRO (I'm a DBC man myself) but the way I'd do it is to just have the sphere loaded in my program with its texture (or just colour it in DB) and then make a duplicate but very slightly larger sphere and texture that with a chrome texture (turn ghosting on for it too). Then when the ball rolls around or moves, just have the second sphere rotate in the oposite direction. Instant shiny balls!
Play around with lighting and ambient levels too, just give it maximum gloss .

I'm also sure there are new and cooler ways of doing the same thing in DBPRO but I wouldn't know.

Anyway hope that helps,
Sina.

"Maybe if you ain't so good, I ain't so bad."--Tony Manero to Stephanie (Karen Lynn Gorney)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 18:28:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 18:28:50