Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / DarkPhysics in Aegia's software mode?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 01:35
Aegia's PhysX API has a software mode that can do most but not all of the physics calculations (no cloth, fluid dynamics, etc, but it can do the collisions, particles, and whatnot).

Is it possible to have DP not require PhysX hardware to be present except for things that the API can't do in software?

I ask because there's a growing consensus of "Why should we pay $200 for a physics card when we have quadcore CPUs that have 4 logical CPUs per core, and all running at 4ghz?". I know that's a bit of an exageration but it's not far off from what someone used to criticize me when I told him that I bought a PhysX card to play around with on DBPro.

Another reason I ask is because when I installed my PhysX card, it was defective. I RMA'ed it with the manufacturer, but the factory sent it out without putting my apartment number on the box, and now it's been sent back and they're being a pain about sending it back out. It's not my fault the apartment number's not on there, it's clearly on the RMA form they gave me that I printed out. So they have the apartment number on their computers and in the RMA form in the box, so wtf?

It's been a month now and the new card should get here tomarrow, but it would've been nice if DP weren't griping at me every time I Try to run a compiled EXE. All I really want to use DP for is the collisions.

Nothing I say is intended to be rude. My autism means that I do not know what is rude and what isn't rude. I apologize if I seem rude. It is not my intention.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 04:43
The only thing you can't do without the physx card is currently fluids... which suck beyond measure anyway so... O.o

Other than that physx collisions should run perfectly
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 06:57
Would that be something added on with the DP updates? because the DarkPhysics demos, even the collision demos seem to give me grief. Of course I'm trying to run the exes rather than compile... Guess I'll compiling myself a try...

Nothing I say is intended to be rude. My autism means that I do not know what is rude and what isn't rude. I apologize if I seem rude. It is not my intention.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 07:01 Edited at: 20th Aug 2007 07:07
Well, I compiled myself and didn't get griped at about a missing physx card. This time it's "Invalid PhysX Runtime - Check Drivers are Installed".

I just installed the latest drivers and runtime the other day...

(edit)
I just installed the runtime that comes with DarkPhysics and it works fine now... Apparently the latest drivers and runtime that are on Aegia's webpage are broken somehow?

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 23:39
I think DarkPhysics need to be upgraded to Aegia's standard. TGC is supposed to be working on it.

Ad Astra Per Asper
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 04:24
JerBil - I don't think they are. Its been a very very long time since they've even talked about dark physics it seems like. So I've just moved on from dbp in general because of how disappointing it was with that. I'm just using the actual ageia physx sdk. I'll probably switch to ODE when I have re-vamped it a bit for a quad core(basicly dedicating one core to physics,so it kinda acts like a physx processor).

Hello
JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 05:38
Thanks, Benny53. If so, thats disappointing to hear cause we've put a lot of time and money into these products.
I'll hang on a bit longer, anyhow, and see what happens.

Good luck with your efforts.

Ad Astra Per Asper
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 06:06
I just updated the drivers from Ageia's webpage and it works now... I must have installed from a corrupted download...

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 20:03
Thanks for the info, Lucy.

Ad Astra Per Asper

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 06:18:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 06:18:32