Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / lights no work on models i make??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 22:02
okay this is doing my head in.

I make a model in Anim8or, export as a 3DS, open in lithunwrap, make uv map and paint it. Then I import it back into anim8or and set texture like this:

Ambient setting 1 : texture none : colour 255,255,255
Diffuse setting 1 : texture i made : colour 255,255,255
Specular setting 1 : texture none : colour 255,255,255
Emissive setting 0: texture none : colour 0,0,0
Roughness setting 100
Transparency 1
Brilliance 2.5

Now it looks lovely in Anim8or. The surface shines and everything.
Then I export as 3DS, convert with conv3ds.exe.
Then when I open it in DBP its as dull as dishwater. So I decided to mess with the lights like I was advised on my shiny balls thread. And after much frustration realised my object was not affected at all by any lights. As proof to this i loaded my object and also made a cube in dbp, which I textured with same texture as my object. Now the cube looked correct and my object was dull. I then programed a key to turn light 0 off/on - result was when I turned light off cube went as dull as object and when I turned light on the cube lit up but my object stayed dull. I've also tried texturing my model within DBP - makes no difference.

Thanx so much if anyone can help me.
Misanthrope
Years of Service
User Offline
You have the ambient setting cranked up all the way, which has the effect of appearing to ignore all light. Try lowering it.

-Misanthrope
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 12:58
Lowering the ambient light makes my model even duller. If I put it all the way up it is very bright not very dull.

Heres a piccy:

Is it anim8or not exporting 3ds correct?
or conv3ds.exe not converting correct?
or Dark Basic not liking my model (even though it's x. format)?

thanx for any help
Drakportalen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 13:34
It's anim8or who has a lac of support when exporting to .3ds.

www.drakportalen.dot.nu
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 13:34 Edited at: 6th Jun 2003 13:37
Have you got the latest patch as this is something I noticed in an older release but assumed it had been fixed.

If so then is it possible to save the model from DBP as an X?? And then load that back in??? and compare.

Also i'd say that 3d file formats are rubbish when it comes to converting from one format to another. I know in theory it should all work out but in practice we find many differences.

Anyhow, DBP is supposed to support 3ds format in patch 4.1, right? So why convert?

So, really it could be ANY ONE of the causes you thought of - try to eliminate each. Have you got any X models made by others which do not have this problem?

Isn't this caused by Normals (rather than texture settings). Maybe there are some options abouit that when you export from Anim8or

Hope you can sort it...
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 13:42
Yes other x models work - just the ones i convert from 3ds which are made in anim8or.

Anyhow, DBP is supposed to support 3ds format in patch 4.1, right? So why convert?

I was under impression 3ds wasn't gonna be in 'til p5.

Anyway I just downloaded truespace 3.2 and gonna see what that does.

Damn this 3D lark is making my brain itch...
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I was under impression 3ds wasn't gonna be in 'til p5."

You're probably right - I just thought I'd read somewhere that it was *supposed* to be in but was somewhat buggy?

Isn't it amazing that you can happily transpose image from Bitmap to gif to Jpg etc with completely predictable results but when it comes to 3D formats - then all bets are off. Suck it and see. To me it shows an immaturity in the file formats.

BTW if you can ever get a copy of deep exploration then do because, although not perfect by any means, it supports the conversion (as well as other stuff) of more formats than I've ever seen. The upshot being that if 3ds to X isn't working for you you could try 3ds->OTHER->X instead. Or of course Export to a differnet format to begin with.

It's just a minefield and will require trial and error. Good luck.
Beta1
Years of Service
User Offline
lithunwrap also converts from 3ds to X

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 17:38
I didn't realise i could convert with lithunwrap. I tried it and now my model is way too shiny LOL - its nearly white all over, I just gonna have to do lots of trial and error until I get it right.

Thanx for all your help people.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 18:21
WooT

I made a model in truespace, saved it as .x, opened in DBP and it's got light working right.

There must be something cookie with the way Anim8or exports as 3ds.

Anyway thanks for help - I'm off to find some truespace tutorials.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 19:23:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 19:23:09