Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 02:52
Which phy make rigid body command should I use for making a matrix be a solid body? The idea I'm going for is to have a deformable terrain.

Nothing I say is intended to be rude. My autism means that I do not know what is rude and what isn't rude. I apologize if I seem rude. It is not my intention.
Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 05:29
You can use the advanced terrain commands and do a "phy make rigid body terrain" command... which is built for using DP with large terrains.

Otherwise, if you want deformable terrain, rigid body will probably work with a matrix.... never tried it though. Don't know how updating it works.

Although a deformable terrain is neat idea, it's not practiced much because of complications it can cause to the environment and behavior of gameplay flow.

Get zParticle! An advanced particle system plugin for DBP!
Website and Download link!
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 10:35 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2007 10:36
Well, for what I'm wanting to do, a deformable terrain would be merely icing on the cake.

Doesn't PhysX support dentable meshes?

Also, I don't like Advanced Terrain because you can't tile the texture on it. It's just a big, screwed up pixelated mass with a single detail texture on it. Detail textures for grass are totally inappropriate for dirt and vice versa.

Nothing I say is intended to be rude. My autism means that I do not know what is rude and what isn't rude. I apologize if I seem rude. It is not my intention.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 13:07
Quote: "Doesn't PhysX support dentable meshes?"

Yes, but not DP yet. It may feature in the next update.

A deformable terrain is a tough one for physics, becase of the overhead of a massive amount of polys. The standard terrain rigid bodies are static for good reasons.

You probably need to think laterally. Can you make the terrain from multiple convex meshes? Can you limit the deformable areas? Can you limit the ways in which the terrain is deformed to suit the DP functionality?

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 14:13
Quote: "You probably need to think laterally. Can you make the terrain from multiple convex meshes? Can you limit the deformable areas? Can you limit the ways in which the terrain is deformed to suit the DP functionality?"

That defeats the entire purpose of casual physics. For me, it's an all or nothing thing. I'd rather have the entire terrain deformable or none of it. It might sound tantrum'ish but it's not. There are so many games out there that don't have a deformable terrain, that one more won't make the world end.

Oh well.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 15:14
The difficulty around deformable terrain is probably why so many games have barrels It gives us something to shoot at and throw around, and stop us noticing that laser guided missiles don't even make a dint in sand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 20:04:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 20:04:54