Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Whats the fastest most effecient way to animate my characters?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2003 18:47
I'm making a fighting game... No don't look so shocked! I know DbPro isn't great at it and I know it's hard to do, but I have the engione almost finished. So I need a few animations for my characters I'd prefer mesh deforming. So how can I make "reusable"( if possible) animations that look good really fast? And no I'm not looking for a quick fix just something to get my characters into the game, so I can test limb collision functions I've set up.
The Great Schism.- The Earths reaction to Heavons invasion.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 01:23
erm how about actually animating them
really the method in which you export these animations and use them is upto you - but without making them how you export and use them won't be an issue will they be?

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 03:35
Don't take any notice of Raven ... he's just being a twat as usual.

Obviously you haven't read his question properly have you veggie ?

CharacterFX is cheep + easy to pick up + works very well with DBpro .... just export your models out as DirectX once done, and they will work fine.

As for how fast and how good your animations look ... well that really depends on your abilities.

Raven will be back in a minute to tell you that CharacterFX is shit and that you shouldn't use it and that you should use what he says you should etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc - blah - blah - de - blah !!

But at the end of the day .. the chioce is yours, and this is an option for you.

More info on CharacterFX can be found on my website ( tutorials page )

And here's the link for CFX >> http://www.insanesoftware.de/

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 03:42
I agree with simple that character FX is a great choice for animation.It's very easy, and only $15, now that's a bargain!

(Current)-learning some animation-
(progress)-concept art finished-
(misc.)-Started modeling- (as current as)6-2-03
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 04:26
or you could use my animation prog im gonna release in the next 2 days.................or you could use summat good like charecter FX :p

The man with no sig
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 08:38
There's always animating by hand in milkshape, saves you $15 if money is hard to come by.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
koolaid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 11:12
how do you animate in milkshape anyways?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 14:17
well for one Simple he hasn't mentioned at all what software he is using, but my guess after another post it would be Max ... so why the hell would he want to stoop to using CharacterFX?

How he animates it upto him, and it appears that he doesn't even have the first clue (nor do you though, not that you ever did) ... so perhaps if he's actually explain better what he is using and what he actually wants to achieve he could get some real help.

as for animating in Milkshape its simple... try this and you'll see how simple it is (just takes an ounce of skill to actually achieve something, something Simple lacks which is why he needs so many programs just to achieve what most people can in actual programs).

Create a Cylinder doesn't matter how many sides as long as it has 3 stacks and make it slightly tall. Now click on joints and click from top to bottom at each of the stack - so you should end up with 3 joints 1 at the top, 1 in the centre and 1 at the bottom.
now goto the joints tab, click on joint1 and it should highlight in the veiws - then goto the model tab and in vertex selection select the entire top stack of vertex, go back to the joints tab and click on 'assign'.
click on joint2 and this time select the middle stack in the same mannor then assign that, finally repeat for the bottom stack.

now you have an assigned animatable model, click on select and this time use joint mode - click on the 'animate' button at the bottom move/rotate the joints about to however you want them and once your happy press 'ctrl-k' ... to add another keyframe notice there is a slider at the bottom, that is on the current frame just move it to another frame and you can then set another keyframe.
If you move the slider without saving the keyframe you loose ALL movement within that frame you did. There are 2 numbers after this slider, first is the interpol speed (standard is 1.0), the second is the total number of frames available.
checkout the keyframe menu item as you can also copy/paste/delete keyframes with it which is useful for animation looping and such.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 14:32
QUOTE:
well for one Simple he hasn't mentioned at all what software he is using, but my guess after another post it would be Max ... so why the hell would he want to stoop to using CharacterFX?

I've stated plenty of times in the past that I use CharacterFX.

Your responce was SO predictable.

Anjin san ....... if you want crap looking animations ( slow going ), then listen to raven veggie. cos a cylinder is about all he can animate anyways.

I use CharacterFX ... which is why I suggested it ... which is why I said goto my website for more info etc.

But if you want to make a cylinder bend over like veggie does, then by all means use milkshape.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 17:51
Simple well said... like a true amature, if something doesn't have exactly what you need your advice is always to get better software rather than better your own skills.

and you're also advicing CharacterFX over 3D Studio Max 4/5 w/Character Studio 3.x?? yeah i'm sure that makes sense in your own twisted little world, eh - use the less featured package which requires you to piss about exporting and importing files all over the shop than use Max itself which contains full IK Solutions, full Heirachy solutions, standard skeleton setups, weighted mesh solutions, mesh polygon collision (also weight based), variable output levels and a far simple animation tracker/manager.
yes i'm sure that makes perfect sense.

And with milkshape the less there is, the simpler it is to achieve what you want ... you don't have to sit there setting up hundreds of parameters just to get something working - just a case of rig'n'go, the only thing it really requires is a little skill from the animator ... but then i'm not sure you'd know what skill was if it hit you in the head, eh.
Not that you actually read up on anyone else's post cept mine to realise that it was actually answering another post from another user who wanted to know - so i did that thing called erm ya know like HELPING someone, you might wanna try it sometime eh rather than just being some whingy lil bugger when things arn't going your way eh.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 18:21 Edited at: 8th Jun 2003 18:21
Veggie well said...

And with milkshape the less there is, the simpler it is to achieve what you want ...

Same goes for CharacterFX ...... which BTW you don't have to piss about exporting all over the place and also includes ( full IK Solutions, full Heirachy solutions, standard skeleton setups, weighted mesh solutions etc etc etc.

And it make perfect sence advising CharacterFX over Max, unless you want to use a pirate version of Max that is. Why would a lot of people here want to spend a ton of money on certain software, when there's other software at a fraction of the price which can do EXACTLY the same thing

And you don't help people ... you dictate to them.

( like your first post here was helping )

Twat !

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 18:30
Quote: "Why would a lot of people here want to spend a ton of money on certain software, when there's other software at a fraction of the price which can do EXACTLY the same thing"

i remember you saying you have 3DSMax... is it pirated?
personally i spend the money on products sometimes because i have to to be able to work almost anywhere at anytime, and sometimes because of curiosity - the whole reason i got Softimage 3.0 was because i was wondering why everyone was going nuts over it ... i now know

but that said, trueSpace has better booleans than Max ... so does that mean i should only get trueSpace and not Max?
each program has thier qwirky ups and down - to be perfectly honest if i want a quality animator at the fraction of the price of max i'd get Animation:Master as it only costs $99 - oki might seem like alot to you, but as it has MORE features than max, it has non-linear animation as well as a simpler UI ... it probably why it is used alot more than max by most animators.

CharacterFX is just plainly a stuck between, it doesn't have enough complexity to make it worth while - and it isn't simple enough to make it accessable for everyone.
That aside if you wanted a free program then downloading Softimage XSI EXP 3.0 with the Half-Life Exporter then load the models into Milkshape and export again you can get around the legalities and have a professional program to animate and skin with.

and for someone who seems to have a good business with selling models you seem to be bloody careful with money over features.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 19:01
I rest my case >>

REPEAT:

Raven will be back in a minute to tell you that CharacterFX is shit and that you shouldn't use it and that you should use what he says you should etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc - blah - blah - de - blah !!

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 19:55
Ok you two, putting aside your little rivalry, is there any reason why ethier CharacterFX or Milkshape isn't a decent choice? You're arguing over which may be better but Anjin san would've probably tested each option fair and disided on the one he liked , that is untill you guy started this crap again. I swear it must be the phase of the moon or something.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 20:09
CharacterFX isn't a decent option because it requires learning an entirely new setup of tools and functions as well as learning new import/export options and getting used to rescaling scenes for setting up the use of the current values.

overall unless you have the version bundled with DBP it is a waste of time getting when Max has all of the functions anyways (which i believe that is what Anjin is using) but add to that it is far easier to animate and edit mesh's when your using a modeling program, because if you have to keep exporting testing with the skeleton, then know that isn't right so you have to import again - rerig etc...

Not to mention that if you use Max or Milkshape natively you can also skin it at the same time, which means you don't have to export it when you change something and re-edit the skin, blah blah.
using more than a single program for your needs is a performance and a complete waste of time ... and this is one major reason why your models will never be upto scratch Simple - because you believe using the best tool you can afford and ::emphasis:: UNDERSTAND.
That is not always the best option for everyone and a very very bad habit to get modelers into!

niggles may seem just like niggles to you, but when you could correct it without much hassle if your Skinning & Rigging natively, not to mention you don't have to reskin & remesh when you want to change small things in either - i mean how much more clearly would that need to be spelt out before it got through that thick head of yours!
Or didn't you ever think about that? Just what you feel is the best option that you believe is the simplist solution.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 20:23
*shakes head* I give up...

aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 20:24
*Enter Anjin

Ok, ok... I have character FX I got it with DBPro for Free! So I think I'll try that and if it isn't good enough I'll use 3ds max which I would have used, but animating in max is like driving to the store in the concord, it's complicated and way too powerful for the simple test animations I want to do and the bones are especially tricky so... I'll try my hand at Character FX and if it isn't up to it I'll go download the trial of milkshape and if that dosn't work I'll know it's my fault not the programs... So thanks for remiding me of character FX, Simple!

oh and try to relax everyone, it's summer after all...

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 15:23
wow, I didn't know raven and simple were such rivals...

Heh heh... Mule...
http://www.stellarblue.vze.com/
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 15:48 Edited at: 11th Jun 2003 15:49
-oh and try to relax everyone, it's summer after all

LMAO!Don't even try.

As if that one we hadn't tried.

They're like Pepsi and Coca freakin' Cola there's nothing to do about it...Cat&Dog,M$&Mac...professional and freelance.

And if it weren't for just one of them ,no flames would occur ever.

Running away You're lost for words again Now you`ve got all what you wanted Are you really satisfied?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 20:45
... i pride myself on my flaming abilities hehee
atleast you can expect some entertainment around here once in a while to get your blood pumping though.

Quote: "wow, I didn't know raven and simple were such rivals..."

hehee ... rivals isn't the right word cause we're not actually rivals, kinda like saying the Crays were in the same league and Scisillian Maphia

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 21:10 Edited at: 11th Jun 2003 21:10
LOL !

Yeah ... Raven = Phil Mitchell ... short and dumpy !!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 01:08
I'm short & fat??
Ooooki ... perhaps you're getting me confused with some other Raven you know lol

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 17:07
CALM DOWN, keep on topic this is not going turn into a burning post.

It seems that Anjin San has run away...

Heh heh... Mule...
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 17:10
I'm not listening...I'm not listening anymore...Not listening,not listening anymore.

Snuff Said

(PS:Yes it happens to me too.)

Modeling Tip of the Week:Keep away from the infamous frog dissection pose!
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 13:52
lol

Heh heh... Mule...
Trev C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 17:06
<rant>

Is it any wonder that Anjin has ran away, it's probably because of the childish banter between certain people who seem hell bent on ruining everyones requests for help.

I've lost count of the number of threads lately that just turn into a flame war these days.

Is it any wonder why people just give up with DBPro when perfectly good questions lose topic and turn into flame wars.

And they call themselves professionals?

<endrant>

Trev C
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 17:58
Professionalism is an attitude also...Which is lacking in one of them.

Modeling Tip of the Week:Keep away from the infamous frog dissection pose!
Trev C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 18:15
That's what I was getting at, but I would say both were to blame on this point

Trev C
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 06:00
I animate all my models in Milkshape. I hate having to use like 15 different programs to make one model. I made a basic tutorial for how to do boned DX animations in Milkshape. Milkshape 1.x doesn't support a lot of animation options, but with a little practice it's easy to animate.

Go here

-Kensupen

Nerdsoft Creations - Lead Programmer
System Specs: AMD XP 1700+, WinXP Home, 1GB PC133 ram and Radeon 9500 using DX9
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 06:37
I think Anjin san has left the building, but if he does look I use anim8or for the time being.(it's free)

Maybe not the quickest or most efficient way to do them for a fighting game, but it's worth a shot.(since it's free)

Of course these animations sometimes don't work properly in dbp.

Currently setting up website-so no more little updates here.
Progress-First page done,and learning how to use it.
misc.-working with the wonderful people of wizards duel.
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 16:08
I dont think it works at all does it?

Heh heh... Mule...
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 19:05
Yea, it is pretty much useless, I could try blender, or lightray3d.

Currently setting up website-so no more little updates here.
Progress-First page done,and learning how to use it.
misc.-working with the wonderful people of wizards duel.
aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 03:14
I'm back! So Character FX is an interesting program, one that with enough work, I could use really well, and so is milkshape, which I might buy, because the bones aren't 2d(something about Character effects that really gets to me) because with the 2d bones I can't tell what the z depth is and where they are on the model, I'll rotate the veiw in one of the boxes only to find that my bones are really small and not anywhere near the model... thanks for all your help! you didn't scare me off I just started working instead of reading posts....sorry!

Raven and Simple... You guys fight a lot but it's nice that your fighting and kinda helping me too... I guess...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 11:12:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 11:12:29